Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

2019 33' Classic
Babylon , New York
Newbie trying to plan cross country trip

We are newbies and after a couple local trips (being planned), we want to head to see family in Wyoming. I am in charge of scouting out the route. There are so many sites, clubs & organizations to join, that i'd like to narrow down the choices. Suggestions as to the best ones?

Second thing we need to research is storage when we're home, but not using. Current property laws do not allow to place in driveway in front of house. Local storage searches have come up empty- only 10' by 30' max. Any suggestions on where you store your Airstream when not using would be appreciated.

MADAirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Look for a farmer close by. They generally have more space than they need.

Get the All Stay app for your phone. It can answer a lot of questions while on the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Hi there. Welcome to the forums. Everyone seems to have a favorite for planning. The Allstays app seems to be the preferred. I must admit that we havenít been using it that long but there is a ton of good information on it. For advance planning I like the Good Sam trip planner. I relay like the oddities tab which has led us to some neat things like the Jolly Green Giant in Minnesota and the RV museum in Indiana. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
I just did that trip. As a newbie breaking in the new trailer, I picked mostly KOA camps. They can be relied on to have room for a new guy to pull through, reliable utilities, and a painless reservation system. But costly. I averaged $41 a night coming from New Jersey to Tennessee to California. If I had to do it again, I would stay at more state and county parks, which I found usually more spacious and much less expensive. I used custom Google Maps to identify my "tourist" destinations, then RV TripWizard and RV Parky for campgrounds and fuel stations. Book farther in advance if you are traveling during any holiday. Stay safe.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I like to use www.campgroundreviews.com in conjunction with Google maps. I lay out each potential leg, choosing a length that matches my preferred estimated distance or time, and then look on Campground Reviews for the highest rated RV Parks near that day's destination. Works for me, but I like planning . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
When we drove from Seattle to the 2016 Internat'l Rally in West Virginia, we drove 14-15 or so hours/day just to get there, so we were not looking for amenities in any RV park. Typically, we stayed overnight in either WalMart parking lots or public rest stops along a highway. No charge, it worked for us, and we drove over 2500 miles & got there in less than five days. When we came back, we spent six weeks and used our Passport America card as much as we could, typically paying around $20-25/night.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
We belong to Good Sam and are considering PA and Escapees for discounts. We mostly stay in improved sites. The only time we have not was when I couldn't get into any of the three sites the park tried to give us. We left and stayed at a Cracker Barrel - highly recommended! We ate dinner and breakfast there. For planning I use the RV Trip Wizard web site. It is $39 a year, and is web-based meaning you can get it on anything, a laptop, phone iPad, etc. Disadvantage is you have to have internet access. If you anticipate no access you can download a trip's itinerary in the form of a set of turn by turn directions. It has features to show you campgrounds (not just the ones that pay to be on there, but private, state, county, COE parks, etc. You can get a free trial version for a week or so.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Madairs - I would think that you will need to get real creative to find a place to store on Long Island. Ideas - talk to the closest AS dealer for ideas - consider offering to build a two stall garage on someone elses lot for an extended lease arrangement to store their coach and yours - check boat storage facilities - a warehouse business may have unused space you can lease - consider a location in the general direction you want to travel so getting the coach is a headstart on the trip, a 100 miles is a long way, but not if you want to go there - AS only parks can be an alternative.

Jackson Center has a lot of coaches on site - maybe you need to have service or modifications to make your coach perfect.

We saw an RV that interested us in a local RV park. We suspect it was being stored there. You might check out that type of storage.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
For storage see if a local airfield has hanger space for rent. That has worked well for me, fully protected and with an electrical outlet.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
Finding campsites

We've done the trip to Wyoming from the east coast. Our routine is to select spots along the way to spend 2-4 days either touring, relaxing or visiting friends. We prefer government campgrounds as they offer nicer sites.

We "book it" between those spots, which for us are 6-7 hour drives, using KOAs along the way. For Wyoming, we booked it to Minnesota, stayed there a few days, booked it to the Black Hills for a few days, then on to Wyoming.

Sam's, KOA club and RV Park Reviews are our references. When uncertain, we've had great luck posting the AirForum for specific campground advice.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Welve learned over the years, be flexible! A solid itinerary with reservations every night sounds wonderful -but may be horrible in the long run. Traffic may be unpredictable -we live in Napa and it can take 4 hours to get to San Francisco...not recommended when you plan on driving 600 miles that day! Weather can come up -in Wyoming we were threatened by a dust storm/tornado warning and finally got smart and hid out in a Walmart parking lot for 5 hours (still dangerous, we watched shopping carts doing about 35 mph damaging both cars and trailers and cause countless accidents). Personal comfort has to be considered -nothing can take the wind out of your sails like a migraine or back pain or something on your rig than needs fixing -like three tires blown out all in a single afternoon (and yes, we ran over something nasty!). And, don't forget you may discover someplace so pretty and peaceful you don't want to move on quite as quickly as you thought you would. AllStays, Campendium, RVParky, KOA app -all can give you a good idea of what is around the area you are in. Locals can usually point you to a good park or a good restaurant and those big name stops (Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabela's) are great in a pinch, too.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We head west to the Rockies, Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. almost yearly. EZ Pass makes life easier on toll roads from NY to Wis. Day 1 - Destination - Travel Plaza Amherst, Ohio Turnpike (Middle Ridge Service Plaza it has RV parking with electric hookup - $20) Our Routes - I-87 south - I-90 NY Thruway west - I-80 west - Day 2 - Destination - Walmart Super Store, Exit 5, 3107 Market Pl, Onalaska, WI 54650 - Routes - I-80/90, I-80 west to avoid going thru heart of Chicago - I-39 north, I-90 west - Day 3 - Destination - Wall, SD, Sleepy Hallow Campground in the heart of Wall SD - fun tourist town - empty black and gray tanks - (options nearby - Badlands National Park and Mt. Rushmore are a must if you have never been there) Routes - I-90 West - Day 4 - Destination - Cody, WY - Absaroka Bay Campground - great town with lots to see - Western Museum a must - Rodeo every night - stock up on supplies before YS - Routes - I-90 West to Buffalo WY, Route 16 west over Big Horn Mountains - Day 5 - On to Yellowstone via Route 14 west. Any questions email me at: sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We never plan ahead...I don’t have to be anywhere...I will get there when I get there...we went to Nova Scotia last fall....never hurried..good trip....couple weeks heading to California...don’t even know which way.....we will decide when we get to Idaho........kiss....keep it simple....
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #14
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you just want to get to Wyoming without detours along the way and are traveling in summer, I-80 is about as good as anything. It gets hugely congested around Chicago, but the heavy traffic there is hard to avoid.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote