Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I recently subscribed to Roadtrippers.com which is a mapping site where you can plot your route. Depending on the map layers you select, their map shows you places of interest along the route such as: Camping, Parks, Attractions, Food, Historical sites, etc.

I've not used it on a trip yet, but have already plotted our next trip out West on it. It has pointed out numerous sites along our route that I was not aware of and might have missed without it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum MADAirs!

To your storage question. We stayed at Liberty RV Park in Jersey City for 3 days last October. They have a small amount of full hook-up sites that were naturally full, but they allowed us to boon dock in the gravel-topped boat yard behind it. A couple of dozen others did like us and stayed in their overflow lot.

They had plenty of space for more boats & RV's and I'd bet for a price, they would rent a slot in their boat yard on a long term basis (it sure looked like some of the boats had been there for a while).

It is located at the very south end of Marin Blvd. just across the Hudson from the Financial District. I believe you'd take the Holland Tunnel (we used the ferry). They have 24 "rent-a-guards" on premises for whatever security that provides. They also have some 120v outlets that some of the boats were plugged into. They allowed us to use them and it kept our batteries topped up during the time we camped there. Perhaps it is worth checking out.

Good luck.

I meant 24 hr.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Members of Escapees RV club can have access to "Days End" Listing (fee is $10/yr less the points for your contributions to the listing). There is a mapping tool with Days End which will show you the listings where you plan on going. My trip from Ontario to Arizona each fall and back each spring is relatively unplanned - just the basic route is laid out. Using Allstays plus Days End works for me. Also consider joining the Moose and Elks - many of their lodges have RV parking, not to mention meals and entertainment.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #24

1994 34' Legacy 34
Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
Newbie Planning Trip & Storage

You have gotten a number of good suggestions on trip planning, so I will reply to your storage question. As a former resident of Northern Westchester, local prohibitive ordinances for RV storage on residential property abound. I know that finding storage for your rig is a challenge. I believe there is outdoor storage available in Yorktown Heights. Check out the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck. They have had indoor storage available in years past. Check out RV dealerships in Kingston, N.Y. and in Bethel, Ct. They may have space on their lots. Here in Pa. there are a number of warehouse operations and storage yards that cater to RVs and boats. I realize that my suggestions are some distance from your home on the Island, but many of us travel some distance to store our rigs. I think you will find that storage fees are much more reasonable west of the Delaware and a spring/fall drive for several hours is not that onerous. Surf the internet and you should strike pay dirt. Good Luck!
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We’ve done 2 cross-country and back trips since 2015. We do not like commercial RV parks and have avoided them whenever possible. Do look for state parks and, of course, National Parks, National Monuments and US Forest Service Parks. Some even have hook-ups. Most have toilets of some sort. Invest in a 2kw generator for battery charging. We drive a maximum of ~60 mph or the speed limit, whichever is lower. We’ve found that driving up to 300 miles/day is comfortable but we’ve done up 400+, which I don’t recommend.
Our first trip, we sorta planned but a lot of it was done “on the run” with our navigator working the iPad and phones as I drove. Second trip (November-December 2018) was meticulously planned, with reservations as needed at every stop.
In both cases, we found it worthwhile to spend an occasional night at a Best Western or similar establishment, to get the luxury of a tub bath and avoid the set-up/takedown hassle for a one night stop. We travel a lot outside of the high summer season. This avoids the crowds but gives you shorter days to work with. Your trailer is good for temperatures down into the 20s so long as you have enough battery to keep the fan running. That means keeping your trailer around 55 degrees inside. The heat pumps will work down to about freezing, then will shut off.
We only spent one night in a parking lot—at the RV Museum in South Bend, Indiana. They’re ok with that; several others had the same idea: and the museum is definitely worth a visit.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spruce , Michigan
I love truck stops. If you fill up, you can often use the showers in the morning for little to nothing and they are always cleans with towels, soap, etc. Plus you are not listening to dogs barking and babies crying next to you and smoke from fires forcing you to keep your windows shut. I have no problem listening to the drone of a diesel engine and they are all drive through parking spots. In the morning as the sun rises, you get your shower and a great breakfast. Give me a truck stop any day.
Bauerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I meant 24 hr.

We stayed there last summer for a few days while visiting NYC. Worked out very well. We booked well in advance. Rigs are packed in pretty tight (back in with others in a pinwheel formation) and there are no yards to speak of, but if it’s short term and a way to see the city, there are foot ferries across to the city, quite regularly. Walking distance. We had full hook up and our dog was quite comfortable. Except, very little grass available for pooch to poo. Just walk up along the waterfront, you’ll find something.
Laundry, showers and small tenting area as well.
Closest to nyc.
Douglas Fir is offline   Reply With Quote