Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
New Northeast Airstream Camping Club?

Looking to see what interest people have in forming a new Unit in the Northeast which will offer an alternative to the traditional WBCCI Unit. The objectives of this unit is to promote fun, fellowship and adventure and make every effort to keep organizational structure and rules to a bear minimum.
Right now we are checking to see if we have sufficient interest in a Unit of this nature in the Northeast.

Comments and recommendations are encouraged and welcome.

rgesch

rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi rgesch

i've read the threads related to your divorce from the local unit...

while we readers can not know all of the issues
and aren't able to feel what you feel,

i can't help but wonder...
is it too soon to do this?
what are all the motives for doing this?
do you even know yet...has enough time passed ?
i don't mean to suggest anything...it's just a question...

aren't you just starting another 'local unit' with a bigger locale?
certainly happened before and will again and it's a good thing...sometimes,
when 2 units in the same location form from a split,
folks with different interests and all...

but why not use your talents to pioneer a truely unique unit,
a global unit,
a national unit,
or a virtual unit
or a unit without geographic borders...
a 'wally without walls' unit!

there is a long thread on the cyber/virtual unit....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=cyber+unit

no need to read the full thread, but post #67 is a good start..

and 'communicator' collected names of folks interested...
i gotta believe there were at least 10 folks..
i sent her my name but the only reply was 'thanks'
not one note or message or letter since...
so i think the motives were something else..
and not to get this virtual unit going...

so why don't you take this route...
and sign me up
and others

just some thoughts...
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
but why not use your talents to pioneer a truely unique unit,
a global unit,
a national unit,
or a virtual unit
or a unit without geographic borders...
a 'wally without walls' unit!

there is a long thread on the cyber/virtual unit....
and 'communicator' collected names of folks interested...
i gotta believe there were at least 10 folks..
i sent her my name but the only reply was 'thanks'
not one note or message or letter since...
so i think the motives were something else..
and not to get this virtual unit going...
2Air -- the missing communication from communicator is my fault and I apologize for "dropping the ball" She had no time for it, and passed it on to me, and it turned out I had no time for it, but I kept hoping to get back to it. Lame, lame, lame.

Anyway, I collected the names she sent me and a few more and there was almost 10 but not quite. I still think that a virtual/cyber/whatever-you-want-to-call-it unit along these lines -- international, managed via internet communication, inclusive, holding rallies wherever they form, and keeping to rgesch's MAL-function priorities of "just camping" get-togethers would be great.

I'm in the northeast and am happy in the NEU, but I would be willing to sign on as an associate to a new unit like rgesch describes.

If rgesch wants to go this direction, I'm a major supporter, just can't be a charter member.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
_

. , .
well thanks dougjamie...

for blowing my feeble attempt at a conspiracy motive...

now back to reality,

lets get those names on to who ever has the wherewithall to do it!

seems some of those more experienced folks,

that are movin to the mal content side could do the charter and so on...

minimum of rules...
say 3...

see i'd be bad at this...
but i could be a founding member
or the hat committee chairperson...
cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I'm in the northeast and am happy in the NEU, but I would be willing to sign on as an associate to a new unit like rgesch describes.

If rgesch wants to go this direction, I'm a major supporter, just can't be a charter member.
Ditto, we'd sign on as associates too, but we enjoy and will not leave the New England Unit - I think the future of WBCCI depends on Units like the NEU - Units which are progressive and family friendly. Units who's members understand that it's "just camping" (thanks, Per). There is power in numbers, and our Unit membership is growing - strongly.

I'd love to see "rgesch" join the NEU as regular members, but this is for them to decide. I'll hang with them no matter what, they are great couple and a huge asset to the WBCCI (oh, and they are wicked fun too).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Morning Friends!

Just to keep perspective on this. First let me say I love the NEU and it would be easy to join this Unit and just sit back and enjoy myself until someone then asked me to be a part of the "organization" and serve as an officer and I would be right back where I was with WMNHU fighting the old battles, getting burned out, in as Communicator calls it a "spiritless enviornment".

This is an alternative to traditional Units. Even the Heart of Texas Camping Unit is too organized for what I have in mind. In order to be a chartered Unit you are bound by IBT rules in your format.

My first step is to hear from people who even have an interest. It could be that although we like talk about change and use the rules as part of our concern. People are not anymore interested in joining in the community experience even in a less structured enviornment. If this is the case then an alternative is not even needed because it serves no one.

Just an am thought. Keep it coming guys.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
This is an alternative to traditional Units. Even the Heart of Texas Camping Unit is too organized for what I have in mind. In order to be a chartered Unit you are bound by IBT rules in your format.
Could you explain more what you mean by the "Heart of Texas Caping Unit is too organized...". So, is what you are saying is you want to start a brand new *club* as opposed to a new *unit*? I thought that in order to be a WBCCI *unit*, you are bound to the "Blue Book" by-laws (see the excerpt below from the "Blue Book" which indicates how you would go about getting a new unit started)...

New Units Members wishing to organize a new Unit should request assistance from the Region President or from Headquarters. Such request received at Headquarters will be referred to the Region President who shall, upon determining there is a need for a new Unit within the Region, notify Headquarters and Headquarters shall forward the necessary instructions and materials to the members wishing to form the new Unit. Upon receipt of a Provisional Charter from the President of the Region, the Provisional Unit may collect Unit and International dues in the same manner as chartered Units pending the issuance of a Unit Charter by the International
Board of Trustees. (1/19/96)

When the Provisional Unit has fulfilled the requirements as set forth in Article XI of the International Constitution (sufficient members and appointed officers), an application for a Unit Charter shall be made in writing to the International Board of Trustees through the President of the Region. (1/19/96)

Quoted from page 31 of the Blue Book (http://www.wbcci.org/documents/ACF1446.pdf)

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Y,

I'm suggesting the possibility of having a group of people interested in gathering and camping in an "unchartered" Unit. as Members-at Large, members of no specifi Unit, no Region. If you are not "chartered" then surprise surprise, their are no specific rules that apply to how MAL conduct themselves. I think it was assumed MAL were not interested enough to be a part of the structure and Units in the old days. So they are this unique separate entity. To free your thinking from the "old school set up"...

Just give some thought as to what you really have as part of a Unit that you couldn't have as a MAL. Voting rights, insurance at gatherings. Okay well if this past meeting is any example my delegate didn't represent my club's wishes or my particular wish so what real vote did I have???? He changed my NO vote to a "YES".

This current hieiracy is volunteer so some do thing because "they think they can" and really are not as well informed. As far as the insurance I still wonder just what that all really means. I don't think we as members are any more protected. I think the organization is protected. having never laid eyes on the declaration page or actual policy I can't tell.

So again I ask what do Unit members have that MALS don't--Not Much!

So what is to stop a group of WBCCI to form a group with no rules, no dues, no fuss, no muss, no pressure to do a Region gathering. Which by the way is the officers responsibility not the Units...(read your Blue book boys and girls pg 41) you've been suckered into doing their work).
Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
This is all very new to me. My A/S dealer was kind enough to complete an application to the WBCCI on my behalf which I signed and they submitted and paid for a 1 year membership. I have figured out that my home state of NY is in region 2, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to look for or expect until I receive the member materials in the mail.

I have read some of the posts with opinions of the pros and cons some see in the structure of the club. Having spent 20 years in a para-military employment organization, I know about formality, rules and regulations. But I am not sure I want all that in my liesure time. Having young children, my focus would be giving them an arena to enjoy the camping experience without me having to worry about meetings, formalities of what to wear, being required to display a particular banner or unit flag at any given time or place (if I understood some of the posts correctly) or other must-do protocols.

I do think it would be great to camp with fellow airstreamers who place the joy of Airstream camping first and the structure of a club last. Being brand new to this scene, I'm not making any conclusions, but freedom from expectations of others to do certain things that follow a strict club protocol at any given time would not rate high on my fun meter.

But I remain fully open-minded about the WBCCI.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Castleton , Vermont
Thumbs up new northeast unit

Yes- am looking for a group like you describe- also looking for short rallys to go to- a long weekend to meet up with other vintage airstreamers. Also have 2 other vintage trailers and would like to see a wide open group of vintage people share experience and knowledge at rallies!

Liz Carvey
lcarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Talk about kicking a dead horse already reborn as a camel. You can join The Airstreamers Club today. This is not WBCCI, however some do belong to both a WBCCI unit and TAC. Check out the TAC thread and send Rob an email. There will be TAC gatherings in the near future. Upcoming is "The Bash" at Rob's farm in NY. Watch for TAC gathering threads and I am sure Robin has already contacted you.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarvey View Post
Yes- am looking for a group like you describe- also looking for short rallys to go to- a long weekend to meet up with other vintage airstreamers. Also have 2 other vintage trailers and would like to see a wide open group of vintage people share experience and knowledge at rallies!

Liz Carvey
Hi Liz
check out the WBCCI with June newsletter included (Thanks Pam!)

http://www.pnbinc.com/NEU/Quipper_June_10.pdf

Members have both vintage Airstreams AND people of a certain vintage that own and work on their trailers and love to talk about them.

A new club.....The Airstreamers Club (TAC) see the clubs section and Birthday Bash thread here on Airforums.

Airforums gatherings and rallies listed here.

And last but not least..... the Tin Can Tourist club. A fun group with all types of vintage trailers and RV's with meets all over the country.

Looking forward to meeting you at a rally, bash, Jam, meet or caravan soon.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Wow-What a surprise to see this pop up. This thread began a long time ago I think as far back as 2004. SInce then TAC has been created and this seems to offer the difference venue that we all have been looking for. We joined.

RObin

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
A lot of water over that bridge.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Alright enough nostalgia. Yes some have moved on. But seriously Liz, I have been reminded on very good authority that there is a unit as you are desiring to find. There is a brand new kind of WBCCI unit that is newly formed right in Ohio and it is called NOVA, the Northern Ohio Virtual Airstream unit. It is a closeknit group of eager Airstreamers full of hospitality and expertise. Contact Dan and he will fill you in with all the current details.

Home - NOVA

Welcome to the virtual campground of NOVA!

This unit will be dedicated to respecting the traditions of the WBCCI, along with using the latest technologies to allow for Airstreamers to have fun!

Under consideration is the creation of a new virtual WBCCI unit. As required, this unit will be based geographically in Northern Ohio. In practice, membership in this virtual unit will be boundless. The intended purpose for this arrangement is to provide a solid “home” to non-traditional members.

The proposed unit called NOVA came to be to fill a need. I tend to have a desire to be a part of special groups. Throughout my life, I have participated in many unique activities and with many unusual clubs. I started one of the first Boy Scout Venturing units in my area. I’ve belonged to the National Rocketry Association. For the last twenty years, I’ve been progressing through the ranks of the Lions club. My wife and I are members of the oldest literary club in Lorain. We’ve been meeting for over 104 years!

So next on my list is the WBCCI. Why? Well, it fits my “demographic” very well. The WBCCI is a unique, well-established, historical group. It just so happens to represent my latest passion, Airstreams. So what makes the WBCCI special? To me, the group represents the adventure of travel. The fellowship and cooperation demonstrated and created by the group are well defined. The traditions are grand. The history is proud.

In different forms, the question of the need for NOVA has been called. The WBCCI has a few hundred units. The WBCCI has a couple of well known “progressive” units. NOVA will aim to take the “progression” another step. It will be the intention of NOVA to offer camaraderie daily if desired. A goal will be for a NOVA member to be able to log into a forum, and see a fellow NOVA member online.

photography
Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
A few more helpful links ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ova-58851.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ter-61381.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ova-59878.html

photography
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is NOVA part of the same club that has members (threatening to) bring legal action to regain members control over how their dues is spent?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Is NOVA part of the same club that has members (threatening to) bring legal action to regain members control over how their dues is spent?
Kiss My Grits Frank!
Name:   Flo.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  7.6 KB
No wonder there is no politics in TAC you put it all in the WBCCI threads. Thanks for sharing. Always a monumental and productive pleasure... Let it go, and move on, sugar. This is one thread that's not all about Frank.

photography
Old 06-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I guess that is a yes then.

Interesting thing about politics: When it meets your needs they are a good thing, but when they point out the flaw in the system it suddenly is a negative attack.

Interesting thing about my posts: I am just a TAC member, but for some reason ANYTHING I say is associated with the TAC. As if I am the voice of the TAC. Hate to break it to some, but I am not the voice of the TAC, I speak for myself.

Another observation: This thread is from 2006. Four years and going strong with the same old issues. Hope someday they get solved.

This thread is definitely NOT about me. It is about Robin and Richard.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	104932
They both seemed to be having a great time at the non denominational trailer gathering I hosted last weekend. Me hosting it was not about me either, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just the guy coordinating.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Let me make this perfectly clear, NOVA has NO part or interest in any lawsuits. Please read the links above to see what we are about. What we are trying to accomplish, in our minds, is something positive and we don't wish to be pulled into this issue in any shape or form.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote