Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > Other Clubs
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Question Is TAC like the Hotel California?

“‘Relax’, said the night man, we are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave
--Hotel California
Having signed up for TAC within days of its announcement, I thought better of it a few weeks later. An email asking to have my name removed from the membership list was not answered, and as of the September newsletter I was still on the membership list. I repeated the request and that email was also not acknowledged.

Others have reported a similar experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I just sent an email to Rob asking that I be removed from TAC's membership roll (FL-1 can be reassigned).
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
I also have sufficient experience with social organizations to understand that anyone who is involved in one at any level (this means being a mere member) is liable for any and all liabilities that the organization incurs.
. . .

As a result, I made a point, by way of PM's to Rob, to find out if he had plans to incorporate TAC or not. I am sad to say that he never replied to my inquiries. This ultimately led me to submit my resignation from the organization. He never responded to this request either.
So—having signed up for TAC, is it possible to get out if we decide TAC is not for us? Or is TAC like the Hotel California—you can never leave?

Since emails have gone unanswered, a discussion in a public forum may be in order. Perhaps the leading lights of TAC would like to comment?

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Done

Norsea, Chief and Nuvite - you have all been removed. I must have missed the requests to be removed from TAC. I'm burried in emails..... if you emailed I am sorry but went and searched my google emails and don't see them... emails, I am getting to them as I can.... but at least you get a reply and an answer.. it just took time.....sorry I screwed that up for all of you...

US-1, OH-5 and FL-1 are open TAC numbers at this time!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Having signed up for TAC within days of its announcement, I thought better of it a few weeks later. An email asking to have my name removed from the membership list was not answered, and as of the September newsletter I was still on the membership list.
John,

I'm sure there is a steep charge to check into the Hotel California... TAC membership is free. All the work is done by volunteers that often have busy lives outside of their TAC duties.

Efforts of the volunteers have been focused on adding value to club membership... my guess is dealing with folks joining and then un-joining is low priority.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Also, you get all the benefits of membership whether you're a member or not.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would like to change my number to US-1... Could that be my number?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Done

That was fast! US-1 is now filled.
Courtesy parking

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Sweet , Can I change my number from MN-3 to Mn-69

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Sure Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Sweet , Can I change my number from MN-3 to Mn-69
Ask and you shall receive.. I'm working on new members tonight.. and we've got alot of them to process!
Courtesy parking

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Your Awesome Did you guys ever get flags made up?

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
“‘Relax’, said the night man, we are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave
--Hotel California
You mean I could stay out towing my stream being "Serious about having fun" and never have to leave for work/school/, ignoring adult responsibilites..... if only ....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
I also have sufficient experience with social organizations to understand that anyone who is involved in one at any level (this means being a mere member) is liable for any and all liabilities that the organization incurs.

Talk about paranoia. Who's going to chase down every member of a non club, spread over all of North America. "What club I didn't join any club?"
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Paranoia? NOT! Reality? YES....There is a difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
(QUOTE
(QUOTE)

Talk about paranoia. Who's going to chase down every member of a non club, spread over all of North America. "What club I didn't join any club?"
No offense Doug, but I will bet money you have never been on the receiving end of a law suit and that you are not a member of the legal profession.

All it would take to get ALL of the information associated with every person who is a member of TAC is a subpoena to Rob. And, all of that information is in the public domain already; Rob has posted it on the TAC web site which means that the members have no expectation of privacy related to their membership. Rob will have no choice but to comply, unless he wants to hire legal council and try to fight it in front of a judge. Given that he is TAC and that the cost would come out of his personal finances because TAC is not incorporated I doubt he would try to fight a subpoena, and I doubt he would win if he did.

Once you are served with papers, you have a choice. Ignore it and have a judgment go against you automatically because you chose not to defend yourself in a court of law, or hire an attorney and go to court to fight the law suit.

And, while I am not an attorney, nor do I play on on television, I have, unfortunately, been on the receiving end of a law suit. It was expensive, time consuming, stressful and emotionally draining; not something I ever want to experience again. For what it is worth, the person who filed the suit had signed a form agreeing to not hold the group that was putting on the event responsible for any injuries, etc., etc. But, they filed a law suit anyway. Nothing prevents a person from filling a law suit. Had we not defended ourselves we would have been liable for the damages he was claiming.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
The problem is that it doesn't really matter if TAC is a legal entity or not, even AIR can be sued -- hell, individuals can be sued for looking at one another the wrong way. It'll cost both sides money and likely be thrown out or settled. If someone has the money to sue another party, I don't think it matters what kind of "protection" you have, you can still get sued.

I would image that TAC is a voluntary organization or an unincorporated organization. The term unincorporated association is defined as any group “whose members share a common purpose, and . . . who function under a common name under circumstances where fairness requires the group be recognized as a legal entity.” These have held up in many states where people try and sue the group -- but it still costs money to defend and will always cost money to defend.

I suppose I should just stay inside all day and make sure I don't look at someone the wrong way -- they might sue me!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have heard more lawsuit BS associated with Airstreams than anywhere else in my life. Honestly it has become utterly draining. We are a loose association of Airstream owners and a few out there living in fear of being sued are just sucking the life right out of it.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We take chances in life, no matter what we do. It is difficult to imagine some one trying to sue all the members of a loose organization spread across many states and multiple countries. It is a risk I am willing to accept. I am not a lawyer, but do live next door to one.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
TAC numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I would like to change my number to US-1... Could that be my number?
I know there is no restrictions on what number we can get for TAC, however I though the "US" designation was thought of for those in the military that have no "home" state. I know there are no rules etc..... BUT, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be respect. I know I am sounding like some old, narrow minded individual who should probably find a more regimented type club.....

But I am not, I really like the idea of just getting together a the drop of a hat. I understand how difficult it is dealing with all these diverse personalities in a large group. I don't think we need mission statements, incorporation, lawyers and other stuff.

I like the idea of no rules..... But I also like the idea of setting aside a designation, for those who want it, who because of there service to our country, have no real home, or state and get moved with little notice 6-12 times (or more) in a twenty year period.

I know I am sounding like some other club trying to reserve special numbers for a special group... And I am having a internal debate about that. But most of these folks never own a house during there time of service. Just moving from one state to another. Occasionally moving over seas. Just a Rob used his to live in while he was recalled to active duty in another state so he wouldn't have to up root his family. Fully timing out of necessity, not desire. There is a difference.

Okay, I am done. I just thought I would bring the point up. I don't want to start any battles, or hard feelings or other stuff, we are members after all to have fun with out all the rules hanging over us..... I would also prefer to have this type of discussion over coffee and breakfast than online. Or better yet adult beverages and burgers, but it is still a little early for that (I am not opposed to drinking before 5 o'clock, but try not to eat burgers before 11am )

V/R
Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
I know there is no restrictions on what number we can get for TAC, however I though the "US" designation was thought of for those in the military that have no "home" state.
I'm not sure where you heard of this "rule"? First I have heard of it. AFAIK, everybody is free to have whatever TAC number they wish to have... no numbers are "reserved" for any particular person or class of people.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
WXBOUY, I actually asked for USA-1 in a private email to Rob. I was looking at US as USA not US ARMY. Funny thing about US... When I was 3 my Father came home from from flying helicopters in Vietnam. I lived in 14 states and a foreign country during my 20 years as a dependent of a carrier military man. I know exactly what you mean about not having a permanent home.
So US is great for US Army designation if someone wants it to be. I think that is a real fine thing. USA-1 is my number because being a military brat gave me serious itchy foot. I want the whole country to be my home.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
My mistake! I thought in some thread somewhere rob had said something about doing the us thing for members of the military......

Well back to my glass of cabernet and not posting rule! Seems the only time I get up the gumption to open my mouth, I end up with my foot in it!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f505...c-61421-6.html

Don't know if this will work since I am using an iPad... But I knew I read that somewhere. Post 78 in new club TAC thread. It wasn't Rob who posted it, it was someone who posted a conversation they had with Rob about military members being known as US # Like the full timers since they are basically vagabonds. So I was wrong in the fact that it was reserved for military, but it was used to "designate" full timers and military.

Okay, back to the important stuff like drinking!

And I still want to do coffee and breakfast sausage!

Tags
tac