Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
Like many others, I have not found the Good Sam Club fuel discount all that great. After two 5,000+ mile trips this year during which I mapped out Pilot/Flying J stations to maximize my discount, I found that only about 10% of them actually give Good Sam Club members a discount. Apparently, only corporate-owned stations give the discount. On the second trip, I managed to get gas at conveniently-located Costco and Sam's Club a few times, which was really a good savings.

dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
The so-called "discount" for gas or diesel purchases one can obtain for Flying J, Pilot, Love's, and most if not all of the other national truck stops is a retail consumer's joke, as in my experience, the retail prices at these pumps are substantially more than most other nearby fueling stations even taking into account the "discount." In talking with both their employees and truckers, what I was told was that these truck stops do their volume business with national truck lines that issue fueling cards to their drivers to use at these truck stops, and the truck stops then bill the trucking companies at a substantial (as in "huge") discount off pump prices.

After acquiring our AS, we used these discount cards on our maiden voyage across the county, and very soon began wondering why we were seeing usual fuel prices substantially lower than those at Flying J/Pilot etc. even after applying the discount. The fuel discount cards went into the trash, and we haven't used these national truck stops since then.

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Uvalde , Texas
Check your spam file. I joined in past 2 weeks. Found msg with card in spam. They send out lots of emails with come on ads. You may have over looked your card msg. Hard card is still no show.
Retawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Good ( for nothing) Sam Club

I use my Good Sam club for one thing only and that's the discounts I get off nightly fees at many RV parks while traveling. For that it's worth $ 25 yrly.
The fuel discount is a joke, as Pilot, et al, charge easily 0.35 or so more than gas stations, so the $ .06 is worthless. I routinely save that .35/gal or more, by planning my routes so I can stop w/o the trailer hitched.

I also use Allstays for finding parks for any particular routing. Allstays does have a nice feature of telling you low overpasses - otherwise, I use maps to plan my route and Allstays, RV park reviews, trip advisor, etc to decide on particular parks. Road side assistance is via AAA.

That's my .02
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Arlington Heights , Alabama
we found Good Sam to be easy and worthwhile

I hope you got your membership issues straightened out. We were hesitant about Good Sam because we like state and national parks. But we went ahead and signed up at a campground in TN and she applied the discount immediately. Then we moved on, and at the next commercial campground a couple weeks later she automatically applied our discount by linking to the GS database, no membership card required and we didn't even tell her we are members. Same thing at a couple more campgrounds on that trip. So the membership more than paid for itself.

But I agree with everyone else, the fuel discount is useless.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Wen I had the popup, I joined Good Sams in hopes to get good discount for Pirateland Campground in Myrtle Beach but after a few months I got truckloads of mails from Good Sam’s, I decided not to renew. Even 2 years after I didn’t renew I still got truckloads of mail!!!!! I haven’t gotten any in last decade.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I was hoping to at least try out the advanced trip planner (since Google Maps is beyond abysmal for trip planning)
I got away from Good Sam, but that's just me. (too much junk mail)

If you can do trip planning on a computer, try RV Trip Wizard.
I'm just starting, and it has some hurdles, but it does a lot of things.

I wish someone would combine Google maps, Calendar, and trip planning in one interface. Put a pin on a campground, it calculates the distance, adds it to your calendar and shows the campground details.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Passport America took 24 hours too.

Unfortunately some of these discount clubs donít disclose the 24 hours wait, after processing, period in any information you see up front. I found the same problem with Passport America last year and I had purchased it in the morning to use that same evening. I also couldnít call because they werenít open after 5:00pm. Luckily we did use it just enough on our trip to pay for itself. I noticed when they sent the renewal information that the price had gone up quite a bit, so I didnít renew.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Good Sam is a solid value if you stay at commercial RV campgrounds. Otherwise it is an overpriced discount card that new owners try and generally discard if they arenít using it for the campground discounts.

AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote