Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
Good Sam Certificate!

Hey folks, (especially Canadians)
We were shopping at the Camping World store in Panama City FL when we were offered a deal to renew our membership in Good Sam. The deal was teo years for $50.00 and get $25.00 back in a merchandise Certificate for Camping World. All sounded great until we get home to find that the certificate is only good until the 18 of June 2016! We do not plan to return to the U.S. until the fall of 2016 so the certificate is useless to us. When I called Good Sam customer service I was told that they did exactly what they said they would do. I fell cheated and would ask that other members keep an eye out for these offers when they want to get you renewed. I have contacted the BBB office that deals with their accoubt and have posted this on other forums. There are other rv service providers out there. Good Sam is not the company that they used to be, for sure.
Hope this helps others.
Pete

Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It always pays to read the fine print. Before signing on the dotted line.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Shop online at camping world & use that certificate. Camping World/Good Sam are one and the same, you've lost nothing.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Tell me exactly what they did wrong again? The certificate is only valid for 3 months?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
We were shopping at the Camping World store in Panama City FL when we were offered a deal to renew our membership in Good Sam. The deal was teo years for $50.00 and get $25.00 back in a merchandise Certificate for Camping World.
You didn't really get cheated. Basically, you just renewed your membership for the regular price of $25 per year and lost out on the freebie.

It's no different from any other coupon with an expiration date. The company is not responsible for ensuring that you use the certificate before it expires, or for the fact that you live in Canada and don't have ready access to a Camping World.

I've received several Camping World gift certificates in the past four years that I ended up not using because they expired before I found something I wanted to buy there, even though I only live 35 miles from a Camping World. Life's just like that. Losing a freebie is not the same as being cheated.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Camping World and Good Sam are commercial businesses that do extensive marketing and promotion. Perhaps you and your fellow Canadians have not previously experienced capitalism. But it sounds like you received what you signed up for. I have taken advantage of similar promotions where a $25 coupon basically makes your membership free. I do not live anywhere near a Camping World but have remained a member through these promotions.

In addition, based upon my spending level, they have extended a free membership without my asking. This has entitled me to discounts on future purchases. As per a previous post, you have 3 months to utilize CW's offer and make an online purchase. So take advantage of their liberal purchase and return policy, or as your signature line says, "Put it all behind you".

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I ran into the same deal when I renewed mine. I used my certificate at Camping World within a few days. They accepted it without any problems. The promotion I did also gave me a $25 camping certificate to be used at any Good Sam park. That one expired when I would usually still have the Airstream winterized. The quick expiration dates are a little annoying, but I still thought it was a good deal.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I know you feel cheated but, again as stated, it all in the fine print. You could offer it to a friend here in the states so it won't go to waste, if you are so inclined.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
after lodging a formal complaint with the B.B.B. I had a call from a customer service manager from Good Sam. I again explained that this was a little misleading and at the time I agreed to the 'deal' there was no mention of the early stale date on the certificate. She understood my concern and asked that I return the certificate to her so she could reissue another one that would bridge to the next trip to the states.
Sometimes it just pays to say"this isnt right" and deal with it. It is just $25.00 but if you put a whole bunch of these certificates together that cant be used, the sum of all of them is huge. I appreciate the quick action taken on the part of the customer service rep but its just too bad that my initial contact was so cold and totally without understanding or empathy. The B.B.B. is my organization of last choise to get action, but when nothing else will do, they get the job done.
I hope this helps others in their dealing with this and other organizations that offer 'deals' to my fellow R.V.rs.
I agree with most of your comments and do not want to sound like a complainer. Being "cheated" may have been a little too harsh but understand that at no time was there any mention of a 'stale date' in the offer, not is it metioned in their advertising. You have to understand that if I try to use the certificate on-line from Canada it is converted to Canadian dollars from my point of purchase in Canada even though I paid for it in U.S. dolars. I would then have to pay a brokage fee that could be greater than the value of the purchase. So all I wanted was the opportunity to get the full value of the offer, which in the finall analysis was the case from the company.
All the best
Pete
Old 04-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Pete, I do understand your frustration. However, as my daughter is a Customer service representative, I know that she goes above and beyond to take care of her customers. It does little to be rude or speak aggressively to a C.S. Rep, as some folks do. My dtr will still bend over backwards to help, even tho some will rant and yell, rather than be civil in their explanation. My theory ..." You get more bees with honey, than vinegar"! Or, follow the Golden Rule.

I did not mean to suggest that you were rude or belligerent, so, please don't think that. I'm just stating a fact. She will sometimes tell me of the way some people will start yelling as soon as she says, may I help you. No matter....she is an artist at calming them down, resolving issues, then, they will insist she handle all their needs, as they quickly renew their Good Sam's membership, open up a roadside assistance account, and sometimes, even a medical assistance program. As I said....honey!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Boy, if you are that upset you probably should have just requested a complete refund. Why would you want to count on a company for rescue that blatantly tried to cheat you?

It may only be $25 this time, but when you are broken down on the road it could cost you thousands if they don't perform or misrepresented their services.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Sneaky!! They offered me a "Free" membership but when I didn't bite they started sending me Bills and then Late Charges!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
as I stated this was just one of thoses"not right" situations. At no time did I get rude with anyone. Thats just not my style. Once I did get a call from a good service rep she had no problem understanding the situation and making an appropriate correction. Its not the money, its holding companies accountable. Plain and simple.
Once a coupon hits is expirery date it changes from being a contingent liability to pure profit to the bottom line. Its a calculated risk whenever merechandise certificates are issued as a marketing effort. All good. I am please that Good Sam came to the decision that they did and we can continue to do business.
Pete
Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
oP, Too bad you did not give GS a chance before coming to the Internet and complaining. Amazing how often it only takes one phone call clear up confusion.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote