Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
I am a SKP member. The club was formed by fulltimers (Joe and Kay Peterson) to provide support for fulltimers. It has expended to inlcude serious RV'ers. They have a mail service because of supporting fulltimers. Many members are extended timers. They have chapters in most states. I am neither as I am still working. Because it is a family owned for profit organization there is no politics that involves the members. The people are all very friendly. I joined as a lifetime member because I will always be an RV'er but I can't necessarily say that about being an Airstream owner because if I fulltime I way switch to a motorhome. (Less likely now that I bought a classic 34.) They have a great magazine and the Escapadess (similar to an International) are well run and fun. I am glad I joined but they do not compete with the WBCCI because they have a different purpose. I would do it again in my case; I have attended two Escapades and two chapter rallies. In Illinois they have two chapter rallies a year; one in the spring and one in the fall. But the timing is geared for the retired. I will say that at the Escapade it seems that the average age is younger than the WBCCI age. In my late fifties I'm considered as a youngen in the WBCCI; that is not the case in Escapees with those I have met. I would not join for the main purpose of getting campground discounts. However, they do have parks owned and operated by the club (Rainbow Parks) and there are affiliated co-op parks for fulltimers who wanted a homebase. Hope this helps.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Wbcci --- skp

We are members of both clubs, the difference is that the Escapees is set up for full timers and it is a family owned and operated business with a lot of volonteers rather than employees ,they do have rallys. The WBCCI is set up for Rallys and caravans, The SKP's officers ( owners ) run the club for profit and members have little say.The WBCCI is run by its members, right or wrong and is not for profit. Both have a purpose and fit our needs as does this forumn

Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington State
Thanks for sharing! My "gut" was right on this. As you said both have their purposes.

Judy

http://www.youtube.com/Empresspublishing

http://thoughtsfromwisdom.blogspot.com/
JLJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
My wife found Escapees on the 'net. We're going to full-time for some yet undefined period before we return to full-time work. We'll probably pick up the membership for our year on the road.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We're thinking about joining, too. We get all their materials from being a whatever-member (giving discount), but now want to join for the discounts at other places, especially those 50% discount parks.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Even thought I am not yet a fulltimer, I joined Escapees about the same time I joined WBCCI. As several have pointed out, the magazine is one of the best ones out there and the club seems to be free of the politics of some clubs.

Besides the commercial parks that offer discounts, the club owns and operates nearly 20 parks around the country. Some have lots for sale, some offer long term leases and some are just rental parks. But all have some sites for visitors just passing thru and the rates are usually a fraction of nearby commercial parks. I have stayed many times at the one near Knoxville, TN - a former KOA, it has been recently dressed up with bigger and wider sites, 50A service and an expansion to the clubhouse. FHU sites with CATV are about $12/night as I recall.

Wherever two or more Escapees gather you can count on an evening get together at 4PM local time to meet your other travelers and you can usually expect to get greeted with a hug from fellow members.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
There is a discount to join if you are a member of President's club or Passport.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
If not written about earlier, the founding folks of Escapees were WBCCI folks who left in disillusionment, and started their own thing. They offered all that the wbcci never did. While we are members too, we notice the Rainbow parks, while tidy and friendly, are rather minimal. You get what you pay for, in this case anyway.

We have discovered also to call first to discover if the park still honors Escapees discounts and what they actual current price is. During the lead time of the published annual books and magazines and the Time of Need can be the time the park closes, changes hands, raises rates, or flat out quits honoring club discounts as the economy impacts them.

Our mail forwarding is through South Dakota Mail Forwarding, which works REALLY well for us as it gave us state residency, vehicle tags, driver's licenses, and even voter's registration!
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
We have been pleased with Escapees mail forwarding service, as well as Polk County's understanding attitude regarding jury duty.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
If not written about earlier, the founding folks of Escapees were WBCCI folks who left in disillusionment, and started their own thing. They offered all that the wbcci never did. ...
I don't know that the Peterson's left the WBCCI because of disillusionment. I suspect that it was more along the lines of wanting something different: Something along the lines of what they founded, namely, the Escapees.

And I like the Escapees! That said, I wish the WBCCI would also move towards pieces and parts of what the Escapees do. I don't think mail forwarding would be the best offering for WBCCI as it is a labor intensive operation. (If you need that, join the Escapees. It's a steal.) However, their discount parks program, for example, is very good and could be easily emulated at only very tiny cost.

Lynn
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

We have been members of the Escapees even before going fulltime, great organization. We use the mail forwarding and its worked great. Also use them to receive discount on our Coach Net and the discount on the RV parks throughout the country. They don't have a large amount of RV parks like Good Sams and others but I've found that they're discount is always more than the others, GS's 10 and Escapees 20 percent or more.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
What is encouraging, Chiefneon, is that they have a pretty good number of parks in their program that offer really nice discounts, up to 50% off the daily rate. (I am not a fan of Good Sam discounts, by the way. They typically offer 10%, but their prices are usually higher than those of other parks to begin with.)

Lynn