Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Airstream's New Toy Hauler

All, thought you might enjoy this pic of Airstream's protoype toy hauler which is being shown to dealers this week at the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association Show in Louisville. It looks like a 34 footer with about a 12 foot "garage" in the back.

Noticably absent from the booth this year was the BaseCamp.

More pics of this AS toy box along with some new interior concepts from another trailer on my website at: THISOLDRV.COM | Photo Gallery, Airstream Motorhome Photos, GMC Motorhome Photos, Travco Motorhome Photos, Winnebago Motorhome Photos

Enjoy!!!!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
34' huh?

Well, let's hope that they include a smaller size also.....like a 25'. I'll be there with cash in hand when they do!

THANKS for the shots!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
They also had this little beauty (made by Jesse James of West Coast Customs) on display

If anyone has something they really want to see I'll try and get specific photos tomorrow...just let me know what you want
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Lew, I think is was a 34. IIRC is had a triple axle setup.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks SW,

That's WAY more trailer than I need or can pull. Let's see what they come out with.

I'm not impressed with Jesse James' efforts in aluminum. I would have hoped that the side car was formed with far less panels like a modern AS, or more like the vintage units from the 50's. Just my HO ya' know. Given his supposed talents with metal working, I would have expected a much more refined unit.....or a much funkier design.........................

Thanks for the shot though!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks for the photos Steve!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, uh, different.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hope that garage door seals better than my main entry door.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

WOW .......move over Basecamp

I wonder if it would fit a golfcart. I would like to have one of those units even if I didn't have any toys.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
I think it's a bad idea. Airstream doesn't need to compete with the others, they have thier own nitch. Cutting a square hole in the back of a round trailer look's like.... well, cutting a square hole in the back of a round trailer.
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Looks to me like they should consider putting some thicker diamond plate on the lower half of the walls. That thin aluminum would get destroyed in no time hauling things around in there. Considering the actual square foot cost of an Airstream, that's pretty expensive real estate for hauling you dirt bike or ATV. Still ,it's a popular idea.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
That has been done much better by the SOB's. Often the door is the ramp. I know that would require a much different door treatment but still a better idea for actual use and could have been done. I think they need to stick to the knitting, improve workmanship and manufacturing process to keep the price in line and be more competitive. And find some real designers if they must tinker. What were they thinging with DWR? Saw one yesterday, what a mess. Function is beauty, get the function right then work on the other stuff but don't foul function in the process. OK I feel better now, rant off.

Steven,

Thanks for posting it is always cool to see what A/S is coming up with next. Good to see they are trying even if somewhat misguided.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster

If anyone has something they really want to see I'll try and get specific photos tomorrow...just let me know what you want

How about seeing if you can get a pic of the toy hauler with the doors closed
maybe...I'd enjoy seeing the finished look. Thanks!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'll try. I'm at the show now. Today is the last day and really slow so it's a good time to snap pics. This is truely a prototype and it shows as such. I think the concept is a good one and in person it looks really nice.

Also, consider that it sits across the hall from a Damon motorhome toy hauler that costs somewhere around $280,000. So, an AS with a garage might be a bargain for the outdoor set.

In general the theme this year is toy hauler and active lifestyles. Almost every major brand has a toy hauler (motorized and trailer) in the front of their booth. Even Thule got in on the act this year with their Smart RV (Thule SMART RV) racking and accessories system designed for active RVers.

We use our 345 for camping and bicycle racing and I have to admin the thule concepts and some of the other innovations (trash cans on the screen door that are accessible from inside and outside) make sense to me.

One dealer I know picked up a line almost soley because it came with the Thule products already installed and his customers have been asking for something like this.

More to follow
Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Really this is nothing new. Airstream Life did an article a year or so ago about Airstreamers that have done this to their Airstreams as part of, or as the purpose of, their renovations. There were even car toyhaulers as I recall.

I would be interested to know what Airstream has done structurally to accommodate the frame and what the max load that could be carried. I do think the Airstream toyhauler would suffer the same issues faced with other toyhaulers such as being tail heavy. But it is nice that Airstream kept the garage separate from the living quarters and gave the living quarters a better grade of finishes than is typical of any of the toyhaulers I have ever seen.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
This may be thor influence. Diverting valuable resources from improving the current products.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
I love the 34' with the garage at back... I have been thinking along the same lines, although what I was thinking was to get an old one and then modify it somehow myself with a 10 or 11 foot space at back, a wall, then the insides from about a 25 ft up front.

Having one from the factory is an option I would personally have to take a look at and consider it. I like the idea. The ramp and rear section would have to be heavy duty though, like 900+ lbs rated minimum so it will handle a Harley. It wouldn't be any good if they just make one capable of handling bicycles.

At any rate, thanks swebster for the photos... If nothing else and I someday get an old 34' to play with at least I know somebody makes a door that would probably work on the rear...

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Oh boy, here we go...

I feel another Basecamp-like failure coming on...

IMNSHO, Airstream shouldn't be trying to get into the big toy hauler market. With the economy starting to slide and money being tight, do they really think that an full size A/S toy hauler is going to sell? You just KNOW that this is going to be uber expensive compared to the SOB units.

A/S should concentrate their R&D efforts into fixing/improving what they already have.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I guess there's nothing wrong with testing the market. The big thing now is people wanting to take all of their toys on holiday.It brings up images of te 40Ft motor homes traveling down the highway towing a 30 enclosed trailer. I'm always wondering just what the hell could be in them.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
_

. , .
fun pics steve, thanks for giving them to us!

prototypes seldom have the stats sorted out, for ratings, structural reinforcements and so on....

some prototype vehicles don't start, have an engine or are even road worthy yet.

this isn't really a new a/s thing, they've made custom units with a variety of pop up walls over the years....

i think it would be more useful/fun practical IF the door/hatch was on the curb side rear.

no one is gonna haul a car in side, but a motor bike or 4 wheeler or mtn bikes would fit in sideways.

many of the large campsites i've been in, barely fit the 34.

we can often barely open the current tiny door hatch, much less this.

also a side opening hatch that faces the campsite could be used for LOTS of other things....

and given enough structural support the same hole could accommodate a new slide location, for those that like slides.

take more pics steve, and as them if you can take it for a spin!!!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote