Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Dubai Marina , Dubai
Send a message via Skype™ to dreampod
Our big adventure - All input welcome

Fly to the US, buy a classic Airstream, travel the country, send the memory laden trailer home to Australia

Hello Airstreamers,

This is my first post, and that is our plan. There are some catches, complications, considerations and big holes in our knowledge that, with your help, I would like to start plugging.

Some background and parameters:
When? Summer 2010
How long? About 5 weeks
Why? Probably don't need to explain it to you, but, we love Airstreams (and fabulous design in general), love road trips, have never been to the US (apart from a trip from Tucson to LA in a VW combi 21 yrs ago), think it would be a fabulous thing to do with our 6 yr old daughter, and would love to own a classic Airstream in Australia.
What? A pre-70s, shorter than 25' model in good road-going condition. Seems to me the older, the more attractive - particularly the interiors....though of course not so well equipped with creature comforts. But open to suggestions!
Route Would love you Airstream hauling, experienced and country proud travellers to give me your IDEAL US ROAD TRIP IN 5 WEEKS. I hope I have just started the longest string in Airstream Forum history!
Budget About $15,000 max. Is this realistic? It needn't have a mirror finish, but we do want straight, reliable and are a bit particular about the interior. In my experience the long loved child of a genuine enthusiast is a good buy - are you out there?

Where the trailer is purchased is obviously going to have an impact on the itinerary. Not sure how to pin that down at this stage - do we buy on eBay? From Forum classifieds? From a dealer? Clearly it needs to be in good road-going order - we won't have time for repairs, and problems could ruin our trip. Is there a region in the US noted for good Airstreams?

Anybody know anything about international shipping? What about temporary registration and insurance during our trip? Recommendations for a (hired) tow vehicle?

Oh, and we currently live in a lovely 3 bed apartment overlooking the Dubai Marina (Dubai, UAE), with a view to The Palm island - so if anybody is interested in staying here for 5 wks next summer, let me know!

Look forward to your posts and maybe making some new friends.

dreampod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Whew - that's a tall order! Sounds kinda like a dream that I too would love to embark on... But because I haven't (a) traveled the US or (b) attempted to ship a trailer overseas myself, I can't offer you much advice on that end of the stick. However - there are various threads on this forum with regard to shipping concerns/advice. Just use the search function (google option) to read them! There's also various threads on routes - but they might take a wee bit more work to find.

What I do believe is that $15,000 budget to travel the US, lease a tow-vehicle and purchase a vintage trailer might be a little tight. First, hiring a truck to tow the trailer might take some effort - as it can be tough to find a leasing company that permits towing. But, more than likely, the cost of a "pre-70s, shorter than 25' model in good road-going condition" with a nice interior might be chew up a good amount of the budget. And if the interior is really good, the exterior probably is also. That's meaning a lot of time and $$ has already been sunk into the little jewel. I am not certain if there's any area of the country that is recognized for turning these out. You can certainly get an idea for what is available using both the forum classifieds and ebay. And there's a place on this forum listing folks who may inspect a unit for you to give advice on it's REAL condition.

Good luck - sounds like an awesome idea. There's a wealth of info on this site - just sit and browse for a few days and you'll see!

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Currently Looking...
Dubai Marina , Dubai
Send a message via Skype™ to dreampod
Thanks Laura,

Just to clarify, the $15,000 (max) budget is for the trailer only. Although that does bring up another question that people may like to help with, and that is what is a reasonable budget for trailer travel in the US? How much for fuel (sorry, gas), trailer park fees, vehicle hire, food, and so on?

A little jewel. I like that. Can anybody help us find a little jewel to tow around the states? (Not until next year though!)
dreampod is offline   Reply With Quote