Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana

Today, my daughter & I were exposed to the ugliness of the almighty dollar! We drove 3 hours to inspect this trailer:

1974 Argosy 26 Travel Trailer Airstream Very nice : eBay Motors (item 260648966428 end time Aug-16-10 08:36:58 PDT)=

As stated in the question portion of the auction, the auction was NOT supposed to end early unless a "Crazy Offer" was made on the trailer. We were met at the door of this particular RV dealership by a salesman, who kindly unlocked the Argosy and told us to take our time inspecting it. We did a thorough inspection (took an hour) and were ready to wrap it up & go home to wait on the end of the auction. Suddenly, two kids came running by us & said they had to install a new water pump on the trailer because it had been sold. WHAT?! These people knew we were there inspecting the trailer, said in their auction that it wouldn't end early (unless you know what their definition of a crazy offer is) and they sold it to someone while I was under the trailer!!! No courtesy of the chance to beat the offer, no integrety to tell the person making the offer that they really should run the auction since they stated they would, no statement in the auction that the item was for sale locally & they reserved the right to end it early, NOTHING! My daughter & I were seeing red!! The auction was at $3,150 and the person offered $6000 for the trailer. The owner's son asked me (being a business owner with integrety, I'd like to think) what I would have done if my auction was over the next day & I was offered $3,000 more than what it was at. Of course, for my own reputation as a business person & Christian mostly, I would stand by my word & continue the auction until it ran it's course. He left the office & went and spoke with the person who bought the trailer (nothing against him, not his fault at all, maybe he'll join the forum). Then he came back & told us he understood our point, but it was too late. The deal was done. He gave us $200 for gas & our time, which was a noble thing to do, but it really didn't make us feel good about the whole situation. And to top it all off, the trailer was really nice! Oh well, I had to vent & know I will have lots of sympathizers here. Another nice one will come along for my daughter & grandbaby (she's going to upsize from her minuet to something with designated beds at some point). Thanks for letting me whine!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Evergreen , Colorado
Missed a fantastic deal

Well I have a story to share along these lines as well. I found a beautiful 2006 22 International CCD out of state on craigslist. I wont tell you the price, but I will say that this unit was priced about $12k under what it should be. I contacted the guy and we spoke about it and I told him I was absolutely serious about it and that I was buying a plane ticket for 2 days later to fly out and make sure everything was ok and to purchase it as long as everything was fine. He said ok and we hung up.

I called the dealer where he had it serviced and everything checked out perfectly so I tried calling him back and couldn't get a hold of him. I left him a message and said I would be willing to put down a deposit and again would fly out in 2 days and wanted to purchase it but I couldnt get there any faster than 2 days. I went out to dinner, and after an hour checked my messages and he said he had sold the trailer and was really sorry - someone from out of state had offered him above what he was asking and had paid over paypal. No consideration for first response, my verbal statement that I wanted to purchase the trailer etc.

I was very bummed to say the least. He did seem sorry but that didn't really help me... I think he just got talked into it buy the other person who probably through an extra grand or so at him. I debated for a while about telling the guy that he could have made $12k more than he did but I decided to not be mean and just let it go. I did tell him that had he given me the opportunity as he should have, I would have bid the price up a bit...

In hindsight I just don't know if I could have done anything differently. Having not seen the trailer in person and with such a low price I just thought it might be too good to be true (these kinds of things usually are). Unfortunately for me it turned out that the trailer was in fantastic condition, was regularly serviced, and it was a fantastic deal. Oh well - going to keep looking!
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote