Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
1960s Overlander on Ebay - $4500

1966 Airstream International

Weighing the pros and cons of this one to see if I want to make an offer.

Pros:
  • They don't know the actual year of the trailer, from the layout of the bathroom it looks more like a 67' or 68' than a 66'. So it's not as old as advertised.
  • Original other than carpet and fridge
  • The lack of rust on the outside parts makes me very hopeful for the interior metal
  • Within my budget
  • Unused new tires/axels/brakes and road-ready

Cons:
  • Twin bed instead of preferred double bed
  • Missing parts (3 windows and the doorstep)
  • No word on the original systems/AC and whether or not they work (I've sent in a query)
  • Soft bathroom floor
  • No title

Any other thoughts?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you can bet that you will have work to do on the floor and the frame below. The skin is good and the lack of rusty parts is a plus as you said. If you have the ability and the extra cash needed this could be a great trailer. I have a 66 which is very similar inside, but as you stated the bathroom layout is different. How does lack of title work in your state? Here in GA its not an issue if you get a bill of sale..

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tallahasee, Fl , Florida
Yeah the title thing might be a big hurdle. You gotta have one in Florida, the guy says he bought it in Alabama where you don't need one for old trailers, but he currently has it in Tennessee. He can provide a bill of sale, but that might not be enough, so that's definitely something to bring up if we get to the point of me wanting to make an offer.

He just told me that the AC is blown, so that's $500 off his asking price, plus at least $300 for the windows. If the title process is obnoxious, that may bring it down even more, or I may ask him to obtain a title or else I walk. Cause that means a vin inspection and paperwork and bleh. And he doesn't even know if the systems work, so I just asked him to tell me which all parts are there - if anything is missing that will bring the offer down even lower.

Depending on what he tells me, it will probably go down to 3k, but if there's even more wrong with it, I'll probably just walk. It's in decent shape, but there's only so much a new airstream owner can deal with on their first one.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Could be A good deal. Windows are hard to source, but u can use Lexan
I use a window air in the front window, but also used roof units are available. It's the frame issues that are possibly there that could be a concern, especially since you won't know. But at 3000 something that is still a good deal.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
I,wouldn't roll on those tires. Sitting for six years will definitely rot them out.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
I recently bought a 66 Overlander. First, you will need new axles. That is a given and no escaping it. They will run about $1500 delivered, you put them on. Tires are several years old - so they will need replacing. You do not go by tread, you go by time and sun damage. The floor in the bathroom is a PITA!!!. I am about ready to replace that section in mine. To get to it, you have to remove all the street side bedroom parts as the tub will not fit through the bathroom sliding door. If you are not keeping the bathroom parts, you can cut them up to get them out. You will need to replace the water heater in the process. The windows are an easy replacement. VTS has GREAT replacement windows - I replaced three. I think you will find the challenge is not with the initial investment, but with what you put in after!

Also, as for the single bed v double, you can easily change that if you want. Least of your worries!

Good luck!

Michael Higgins
Old 07-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
chicago , Illinois
Just purchased a 1965 for 5500$, I knew it needed it work, it had 4 leaks and no fittings fit over copper, so we used tubing with clamps. The air didn't work but was an easy fix, heat didn't work but yet another easy fix. Had to caulk everything on top of airstream. The toilet doesn't seal properly, I might need to replace, the hot water heater o-ring on the nob was bad and it burnt up while operating. In the process of still trouble shooting , I have about 60 hours of my time into it and about 1500$ extra money. Not trying to sound like a Debbie downer. If you are handy or know someone good luck. Ps. I think title will be the least of you worries.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
Careful

I purchased an airstream Thru e-bay from North Carolina. The photos were deceiving. I made a big mistake. Make no promises and check out the cost of restoration and/or repairs.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

1967 22' Safari
st. Helena , California
We have a 67 Safari, and other than the color of the bathroom it is the same set up. Windows can be sourced at Vintage Trailer for those years, much nicer than a plexiglass option. But if you buy her be sure to go to the dollar store and get some swim noodles to slice an edge and cover the window bottom edge when open. You will save money and suture time avoiding those corners
Old 07-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
We shopped online and saw many that were tempting. One was close to home so we went to look. The Mrs fell in love with it. The PO claimed everything worked even though it wasn't hooked up to prove it, but the price was okay vs potential repairs so we bought it anyway. Once home everything needed at least a little repair. Gives me a hobby.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The lack of a title is the biggest concern to me.
The twin beds is the least concern. You might actually like the twin beds- more storage, easier to walk through, and easier to make up.
It might be hard to come up with the windows if they are curved glass.
The step should be an easy fix.
The soft bathroom floor is a sign that a leak needs to be stopped.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags