Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Find Number One...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
PeeWee ~

That's quite a scout truck camper package. Looks like a center section of a trailer had flat ends put on it and then dropped onto a truck frame. I also see Wally number 1 trailer just over the hood in the picture. I take it that is this famed gold trailer too?

Brad
FF
Hi Brad,

The two African vehicles were made with crossmembers, skinned, and furnished. If you with a non-pointy front and rear.

The picture was taken in Nairobi, Kenya and yes you did spot Stella's Gold Trailer.

Dale
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Wow - what a piece of history. We have come a long way since then.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Post Read all about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I can't remember where, but I once saw photo's of the Gold Trailer from it's "destroyed" period, likely in the 1980's with late model door, windows, and body side moldings, before Airstream restored it to it's former condition.
You might have seen it in Airstream Life magazine, Summer 2006 issue. We did an extensive article on this trailer. It answers most of the questions asked on this thread.

Since this issue is long out of print, I have posted the article on our website as a free download.

Visit this page to get the article: Airstream Life » Wally Byam’s Gold Trailer

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Pete Turner discuss the Capetown to Cairo trip

I recently had the pleasure of meeting one of my favorite photographers Pete Turner in NYC. Pete was a photographer on the Wally Byam Capetown to Cairo caravan, which included the famous gold airstream!

Be sure to checkout Petes podcast where Pete and George Jardine discuss the caravan and his wonderful photography.

Here is a link to Petes website. Just click on the podcast link in the upper right of the webpage. If you are a lover of photography and or an Airstream enthusiast, this is a must watch.

Enjoy!
Jaime
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Bible Land and Near East

It appears along the way Wally was told that he should change his tow vehicle, the scout truck and the mechanics truck to read Near East, not Bible Land.

The utility truck is on the docks in Cape Town and Wally's trailer is in Johannesburg.

The changes were made when???? Don't know. But it was certainly to avoid religious confortation in Islamic nations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0095 Wally's African Tow Vehicle.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	70414   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0130.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	70415  

Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #46
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The signs say "South Africa Overland to Norway". Was the trip originally intended to go to Norway, but was cut short in Cairo because of the time it took to cross Africa?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Pete Turner

Pete has been a good friend for almost 50 years. I have followed the rise of his photography from the African Caravan, to one of the preeminent photographers in the world.

While I was stationed at Ft. Dix, NJ I visited Pete in Manhattan. I helped him move from Uptown to Mid-town. What a sweat apartment on the same street as the Empire State. You could look over to the East River and down on the UN Building, and north to the Chrysler Building. Also a fellow traveler was going to school in Manhattan, Lee Golden from Salem, OR. He left the Caravan in Beruit, Lebanon to attend school at the American University in Beruit.

Pete invited me to a party one weekend. At the party I met a young student nurse from Brooklyn. Yes, that's my dear wife Susan.

The domino experience of life was in affect from Wally/my Mother/Airstream; the African Caravan, Pete Turner to a party and a later marriage.

Life is wonderful!

Thank you Peterino!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AFRICA 1959 (315) 1200.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	70416   Click image for larger version

Name:	turner.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	70417  

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Oslo, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The signs say "South Africa Overland to Norway". Was the trip originally intended to go to Norway, but was cut short in Cairo because of the time it took to cross Africa?
The African Caravan 1959-1960, met the 1960 European Caravan in Trieste, Itlay.

The two Caravans became one. The African Caravanners went on through Europe, stored their trailers and went home, went home with their equipment or traveled independently in Europe.

Oscar and Etta Payne and other African Caravanners went on to Moscow.

I believe the Caravan went through Denmark, Norway and Sweden. just as we did on the 1956 Caravan.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Dale, Thanks for the great story(s)!
Jaime
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #50
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
Dale, Thanks for the great story(s)!
Jaime
Yes, thanks Dale, Rich, and you Jamie for the Pete Turner link. Waking this thread up has been very entertaining!

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

OK so now we know where the Golden trailer is...Next question... what happened to the trucks with the cool camper shells!!??
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Off the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkutz View Post
OK so now we know where the Golden trailer is...Next question... what happened to the trucks with the cool camper shells!!??
I went into detail about the trucks on another thread.

They are long gone, and at the time they "disappeared" had not significant historical value, they were just Caravan work horses in Africa, and on the 1960 European Caravan.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I went into detail about the trucks on another thread.

They are long gone, and at the time they "disappeared" had not significant historical value, they were just Caravan work horses in Africa, and on the 1960 European Caravan.
Dale, I talked to Mike, the brother of Toni Ruiz, in year 2000 at a rally in Texas. He was on the African caravan at age 12. He told us that he had one of the trucks but it was in bad repair and he did not know if he had the ambition to rebuild it. I don't remember where he lived but maybe you still know him.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Contact with Mike and Toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Dale, I talked to Mike, the brother of Toni Ruiz, in year 2000 at a rally in Texas. He was on the African caravan at age 12. He told us that he had one of the trucks but it was in bad repair and he did not know if he had the ambition to rebuild it. I don't remember where he lived but maybe you still know him.
Several years ago either Mike or Toni sent me pictures of the vehicle in question. It maybe one of the trucks. It is almost unrecognizable from the original.

I may have paper work with the vin number of the truck I used in Africa. Also the truck I used was constructed improperly. When Jackson Center mounted the floor or body to the frame then damaged the frame around one or more of the chassis bolts.

Nick and I were driving north towards Ankara, Turkey late at night. All of a sudden the cab was going downhill and the camper part was going uphill. The frame broke.

We were near a Turkish military base. (A story for later.) We had the frame welded, and then on to Ankara.

From the pictures the former African vehicle looked like the truck in a Halloween costume.

Pee Wee

I have had little contact with Mike, but Toni and I communicate on a regular basis. The two of us were on History Detectives in July.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bozeman Rally (348).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	70897