Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #141
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
excellent point of view
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
OK the cat is not quite out of the bag. HOW Much did it sell for at the auction???
75,000 in a down economy?????????? I guess I will have to eat my hat. There is a sucker born every moment in my opinion and to pay 75,000 ????????????
Gail
I have an old wally beret I can send you with mustard if you prefer.

I have not heard what the sold price was but it is all relative between the buyer and the obect of desire.

I remember being irritated by the story recently that the Airstream Company paid almost 300K for a customized chopper motorcycle to help reach new customers that may not understand the appeal of aluminum travel trailers. I thought it was a complete waste of time and money and enjoyed posting snarky comments about it.

Had the company bought and restored this legacy trailer and put a fraction of that money into restoring it, this would have meant much more to actual future customers and existng owners of Airstreams. Maybe they did? The BMW Motorcycle division has has great success using their history of classic products to sell the new ones. And they were selling motorcycles.

Old vs. new but that they are not the same is another subject.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
I'll take the Wally Beret, cherish it, wear it to all rallies, and then give it to a museum. If we really wanted to share our special wagon would we not donate it to a museum so all can see and appreciate it. I am really surprised Gooding took that item but then again mabye someone was just cashing in. I prefer to share and give back.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #144
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
If we really wanted to share our special wagon would we not donate it to a museum so all can see and appreciate it. I am really surprised Gooding took that item but then again mabye someone was just cashing in. I prefer to share and give back.
It must be nice to be independently wealthy without a financial care in the world. Go back and read airhead2's reason for selling and I think you will feel a little embarrassed. You certainly must be a share-the-wealth kind of gal.

BTW, Goodings is an auction house for automotive related collectibles. With your reasoning, no one would ever sell vintage automobiles or antique furniture or artwork but would donate all those Picasos and Rothkos to museums. Some people just don't get it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
It is nice to be a good person. Giving back comes from the heart and would it not be nice if we all gave back on what ever level we can. Wealth has nothing to do with giving back. Did you never read about people who barely made a living but helped others? Shame on you to be judgemental of my financial worth. I have and always will be a giving person and it has zero to do with money. Also I know about Goodling and uually they ck facts about any item they sell. You are the one who does not get it as apparently you have no interest in helping anyone or sharing so others can appreciate things that they may never see. It is a mind set that you obviously do not have.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #146
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
You are the one who does not get it as apparently you have no interest in helping anyone or sharing so others can appreciate things that they may never see. It is a mind set that you obviously do not have.
You couldn't be more wrong about your fellow forums member.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I see a mod in this threads future.

Hopefully the new owner will take care of it, have it restored, and use it as Wally intended.

Steve
Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Couldn't have been an easy choice to sell, can only imagine. I'm guessing anyone investing that type of money isn't going to let it go to pieces. Maybe Jay Leno is expanding his garage to include an RV section....
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #149
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think I need to go back and read from the beginning... Seem this trailer has been sold a couple of time in this thread. Sure is a shame to have dirty laundry hung out like this.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #150
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I called the auction house this morning on the way to work. The Bubble sold at auction for $55,000 to someone from overseas. Now this doesn't necessarily mean it will end up overseas but I imagine there is a very good chance that it will. My plans are to go out tomorrow AM and take a wealth of pictures of this unique trailer and share them with the AS community. I would expect the new owner to be proud to own this piece of AS history as the person I spoke with at the auction house said he was. I expect and hope it will be properly attended to and respected. More tomorrow night...

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #151
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
New Owner

hello everyone,
i'm the very very proud new owner of the wally bubble.
i'm from ireland, my wife is english and have two little daughters born in new york but we live between england and ireland at present.
not a movie star or an asian business man or a zilionare, just someone like all of you the has got the bug for airstreams and wants to live my dreams.
will keep you all posted on progress but the plan for the moment to to ship it back to our home in the south west of england. the dream would be to redo the 1955 scouting trip with her and a vw convertable and stop off for some french onion soup in paris on the way.
again will keep you posted, but at the moment just want to finalize the deal and keep her safe.
robert77 has been helping me a great deal on this and we are working out a way that without risking any damage we could let of few folks have a look before this sets sail.
again, i'm just a normal guy with a passion and living my dreams before it's too late.

Best regards,

Sam......
waharknesscaravans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Sam, thanks for the post and welcome. Now that you have revealed your excellent plan and are the proud owner of Wally's trailer you are no longer a normal guy. I am glad to see the the trailer will be restored and used on a grand adventure. Please post more about your plans and share your on going restoration with the group.

One question do you plan to recreate the script on the trailer exterior, I hope so it is the final touch.

You may have just become a European Caravan leader. I can see a line of trailers winding their way along the original route with you in the lead.

Best of luck Jim.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #153
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Way to go Sam. I want to sign up along with Jim for that onion soup caravan. Sounds like this trailer is returning to it's world travelling roots.

Good Luck.
Attached Images

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #154
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Good morning Sam. Any chance I will be able to meet you this morning when I come out to the mall where the auction took place? I hope we get the chance to share a few stories.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sam,

Welcome to the forums. With a name like waharknesscaravans, do you plan to offer this for use with others, or are you a man with many caravans?

I thought about Captain Jack Harkness originally).

Again, welcome.

Steve
Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Way to go Sam. I want to sign up along with Jim for that onion soup caravan. Sounds like this trailer is returning to it's world travelling roots.

Good Luck.
This great picture of Wally and Stel was taken on the 1956 European Caravan. The Solex bike assisted Wally in local travel and to go around the camp site to call meeting time.

Wally's favorite city in Europe was Paris. He frequently flew over to Paris to relax from his busy schedule. One morning on the 1956 Caravan he came to trailer #2 and knocked on the door. "Helen, are you up?" "Yes!" "Get dressed we are going to have onion soup."

With Wally's years of visits to Paris he had found his most favorite place to have onion soup. They had it made early in the morning, or very late at night.

Helen left her trailer. Sat on the back of Wally's Solex, holding on to Wally, and off they went to have onion soup.

What a team they made, what great friends, only an assoication that cousins have. We all thank them for the better world they gave us.

Go to this Sierra Neveda Unit site for additional history and pictures.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/index.html

Wally and Stel in the 1956 European Airstream.

Wally and his Solex.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 European Caravan Wally and Stel and their White Airstream.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	74307   Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 European Caravan Wally and Stel and their White Airstream (1).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	74308  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1956 European Caravan Wally and Stel and their White Airstream (2).jpg
Views:	391
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	74309  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #157
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
brad,
that would have been great but will not be able to make it.
i've told the folks at gooding to make sure you get a big warm welcome.
sam.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #158
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Sam,

Welcome to the forums. With a name like waharknesscaravans, do you plan to offer this for use with others, or are you a man with many caravans?

I thought about Captain Jack Harkness originally).

Again, welcome.

Steve
Thankyou Steve

The waharknesscaravans comes from my dad's business. He was probably the most respected trailer dealer ever to do business in Ireland. but has never laid eyes on an airstream, just yet. He retired a while back.

i guess i'll have more of an idea what i'm doing when i she her in the flesh.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Looks like your are locarted at Cookston near Tullywiggen not to far from Knockaconny somewhat near Gortalowry on Dungannon Rd. I just love the names. Better than being located at Exit 27 on I 10.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #160
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
birmingham , la
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Sam, thanks for the post and welcome. Now that you have revealed your excellent plan and are the proud owner of Wally's trailer you are no longer a normal guy. I am glad to see the the trailer will be restored and used on a grand adventure. Please post more about your plans and share your on going restoration with the group.

One question do you plan to recreate the script on the trailer exterior, I hope so it is the final touch.

You may have just become a European Caravan leader. I can see a line of trailers winding their way along the original route with you in the lead.

Best of luck Jim.

many thanks jim, hopefully when she arrives here we start a new thread about what to do. The polish and painting will be a though one to call, will need a good bit of debate and input before deciding.
look forward to as much help as i can get.
thanks,
sam.

Tags