2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Congrdulations on getting that trailer!

I'd bet that if you could get that trailer anywhere near Dale (Pee Wee) you'd get more tales and stories about that trailer than you'd believe. Then you would not have to wonder about it's history. You'd know it.
Thank you for the congrats. This Bubble is already a lot of fun!

I hope that someday I can meet PeeWee and do just that.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #114
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
In case this hasn't been noticed, and I only noticed this morning so I apologize if a new thread was started elsewhere...

This Bubble is on the auction block today! It's gone up quite a bit in it's suggested value since we last saw it.... between $75 an $95K! And has all kinds of wonderful new information attached to it that's available in the online description at Gooding Company :: Homepage (free registration required).

So sign up and take a look, and for future people looking back at the archives, I'll include a portion of a screenshot that I grabbed. I hope airhead2 - or whoever this eventually ended up belonging to between May 27th and today - has a successful transaction. It sure is a special and beautiful trailer, and certainly belongs in the hands of a loving owner. Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scottsdale.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	74136  

Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Airstream will be lucky to stay afloat in this economy. I do not think the airstream drivsion of the company is doing well. Pee Wee would know for sure if this is a con, and I do not trust anyone but the truth. Too many scams out there today we all need to be extra careful. Let us all try to do something so our economy improves.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #116
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
, and I do not trust anyone but the truth. Too many scams out there today we all need to be extra careful. L.
So how exactly do I recognize the recognize the "truth" so it can be trusted?

That is the trailer discussed earlier in this thread and that is a real auction house. Actually they are one of the premier auto auctioneers.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Someplace in the thread i was confused lst a bubble for 16,000 and now this one at Gooding's auction for 75,000. I can not imagine anyone paying 75,000 for that when even if Wally owned it ,as Gooding should have verified or they can be sued ,I will eat my hat if someone is willing to pay 75,000 ??????????????.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #118
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That trailer has been bought and sold bought and sold. Someone is hoping to turn 16k into 75k... simple capitalism, or is it exploitation? Regardless of what it sells at auction for, it will need extensive restoration. That was an experimental trailer and it needs serious attention. Sure hope no one gets sued over it. Only people that make out in law suits are lawyers, most suers and sue-ees are too stupid to realize that fact. I do hope that little bubble finds someone to love it and it stops being a pawn in the lining of peoples pockets.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Overland very well said!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #120
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

OK...I'm a little lost here.

Did Airhead consign it to the auction?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't think the Fair Market Value of the unit is not anywhere near 75K. Wally had a lot of trailers and the most famous one is sitting out in the weather at Jackson Center. The trailer was discussed on this site for a while before anyone jumped on it.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #122
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Guys, it may be a big jump in price, but remember; the only real "value" anyone can assign to any object is what two people in the same room are willing to pay. These high end auction houses cater to a much more wealthy audience, and I have every confidence that there's nothing wrong, illegal or harboring even a hint of immorality about an enterprising person seeing the value in something that nobody else does.

If they want to take the risk of buying it in hopes of making a windfall profit, then why shouldn't they? Is it any different than buying your stocks low so you can sell them high? Or getting a fixer-upper house because you see potential value in flipping it?

More power to airhead2, or anybody who can predict that something may be worth more than it seems... and any naysaying over that is just sour grapes!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #123
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
And we all love Flipper, don't we?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Seller remorse

I reluctantly sold the Byam Bubble. I had no choice due to financial needs.

My intention was to give the Bubble a sympathetic restoration (preserve as much character as possible). However, given the economy I ran into some serious issues with my business (such is life). As for the price; it should not matter what I paid, or what it sold for. It is priceless.

I chose Gooding for two reasons (a) given the clientele it was the ideal forum to find the Bubble a great home, and (b) the Bubble deserves an auction of that calibur to establish a real market value.

The Byam Bubble is an amazing peice of American history. It is not just an experimental design, it was Wally's personal Bubble. One could roll it up into a ball, and it would still be Wally's Bubble. Comments about missing interior parts, or it's current condition are moot. I hope the buyer was one of the people, or museums that I spoke to (including Airstream Inc.). I am sure we will all find out soon, and I beleive that it went to a great home.

I intend to help the new owner continue to discover interesting facts about the Bubble in any way that I can. I hope that those of you (FC) that can help will do so as well, the Bubble deserves it.

It was pretty cool being so close to Wally if only in spirit (I will miss the old girl).

Cheers
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
More power to airhead2, or anybody who can predict that something may be worth more than it seems... and any naysaying over that is just sour grapes! [/quote]

Thank Bredlo, I needed that
Old 01-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Guys, it may be a big jump in price, but remember; the only real "value" anyone can assign to any object is what two people in the same room are willing to pay. These high end auction houses cater to a much more wealthy audience, and I have every confidence that there's nothing wrong, illegal or harboring even a hint of immorality about an enterprising person seeing the value in something that nobody else does.

If they want to take the risk of buying it in hopes of making a windfall profit, then why shouldn't they? Is it any different than buying your stocks low so you can sell them high? Or getting a fixer-upper house because you see potential value in flipping it?

More power to airhead2, or anybody who can predict that something may be worth more than it seems... and any naysaying over that is just sour grapes!
Brad, you are correct and heck I may have done the same. Once you own something it is yours to do with what you want. I have dealt in a number of collectors sports cars and have had several sellers add a if resold clause that they have the right of first refusal on the bill of sale. The first time I registered one of these cars the DMV flat told me the clause was unenforceable. Of course what dose the DMV know.

It will be great to see how deep the interest in Wally goes. With in this group the interest is high will anyone else think it is worth buying a trailer at a high price because it has some random Wally DNA scattered about in it ?

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags