Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Trailer width

Hi, I'm a new forum user and am in the process of looking for my first AS. I am looking now for an early 70's 28 - 31foot model to restore.
I have reviewed the specs and the width in this category is listed under "standard specifications" and listed as "7'8" Outside floor width". Can anyone tell me if this is the actual true width at it's widest? I am trying to plan a location to do the work.
Thanks.
nskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That sounds right to us. We have a '72. When we re-did the floor, we used 8ft sheets of plywood with 4 inches cut off 1 end. Early '70's trailers were the narrow body style. I don't think they went to the wider body style til the early '80's maybe?
Good luck in your search!

Kay and Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
My 1974 28' Argosy, at it's widest point including the awning rails and door grab handle and anything else that is sticking out is 8' 6".
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
"Outside floor width" is the maximum width of the trailer, at floor level, not including any "appurtenances" such as the awning, grab bars, etc. Because of the curve of the walls, the trailer may actually be slightly wider above the floor level, and of course appurtenances will add to the width.

If you're looking for space to do work on the trailer, I'd not worry about a few inches of width either way. I'd recommend a space at least 6 feet wider than the trailer, so that you have at least 3 feet of clearance on each side to allow for workspace, passageway, material storage, etc. I'd look for a space at least 14 feet wide.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The trailers of that era are 96" wide, with the exception of the Argosy Minuet, which is 90" wide. That does not include the awning arms or steps.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Ok, this is slightly off-topic... so when considering a wide body, such as a 1994 Excella wide body - what exactly does that mean? I have seen some models (typically 34' models) that feature a slide out, but from what I have learned the wide body models do not necessarily have a slide out. Confused! Can anyone shed some light on this?
MtnCamper07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
In the mid 1990's Airstream went to the wide body for trailers 25' and longer. That means those trailers are 8 1/2' wide as opposed to those under 25' which are 8' wide.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCamper07 View Post
Ok, this is slightly off-topic... so when considering a wide body, such as a 1994 Excella wide body - what exactly does that mean? I have seen some models (typically 34' models) that feature a slide out, but from what I have learned the wide body models do not necessarily have a slide out. Confused! Can anyone shed some light on this?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote