Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
Howdy! Any luck on this? I agree that it would be really great to reprint them. I have not seen any.
Not really, I checked the Library of Congress site and they have automated the copyright information but only after the book was published. It takes a manual search of the copyright records at an hourly rate to find out. Perhaps someone near Washington DC could do the search.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Just finished "CapeTown to Cairo"

I had been looking for a copy of "Cape Town to Cairo" for a couple of years now and finally broke down and had an inter-library loan made...Boy am I glad I did.....I think I would have been a little disappointed to pay $100 or more for the book, even as a cool Airstream collectors item. I have a copy of Wally's "Trailer travel here and abroad", and absolutely love it in every way. It was informative and entertaining. You get a sense of who he was, and why he was such a great sales master. "Cape town to Cairo" howerver I found to be very dry, unwitty, impersonal, and somber. You never get a sense of who the Douglass family was. It almost seemed that any personal information was left out on purpose. These two just didn't appear to be the type of folks I'd have a good time traveling with. I think they could have easily endured and maybe even enjoyed a three hour flag ceremony. For a couple of hundred pages I kept waiting for Lillie to explode "Get back in the truck Ralph! You don't need another damned spear!!" But sadly she never did. So Just my opinion....I found the book terribly over-rated.

BUT I would tell anyone that Wally's "Trailer Travel Here and Abroad" is well worth the reading and probably well worth what you paid for it (especially autographed).

I would like to make a very entertaining recommend for trailer lovers, and that is William C. Andersons "The Two Ton Albatross" A very funny, mostly true account of a trailer (SOB) road trip in the late '60's. There are even a couple of Airstream moments in that book.

Just my opinion...Don't hate me!
Kevin
Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
CapeTown to Cairo...I have to agree, I KNOW the caravan was much more exciting than the book!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
I had been looking for a copy of "Cape Town to Cairo" for a couple of years now and finally broke down and had an inter-library loan made...Boy am I glad I did.....I think I would have been a little disappointed to pay $100 or more for the book, even as a cool Airstream collectors item. I have a copy of Wally's "Trailer travel here and abroad", and absolutely love it in every way. It was informative and entertaining. You get a sense of who he was, and why he was such a great sales master. "Cape town to Cairo" howerver I found to be very dry, unwitty, impersonal, and somber. You never get a sense of who the Douglass family was. It almost seemed that any personal information was left out on purpose. These two just didn't appear to be the type of folks I'd have a good time traveling with. I think they could have easily endured and maybe even enjoyed a three hour flag ceremony. For a couple of hundred pages I kept waiting for Lillie to explode "Get back in the truck Ralph! You don't need another damned spear!!" But sadly she never did. So Just my opinion....I found the book terribly over-rated.

BUT I would tell anyone that Wally's "Trailer Travel Here and Abroad" is well worth the reading and probably well worth what you paid for it (especially autographed).

I would like to make a very entertaining recommend for trailer lovers, and that is William C. Andersons "The Two Ton Albatross" A very funny, mostly true account of a trailer (SOB) road trip in the late '60's. There are even a couple of Airstream moments in that book.

Just my opinion...Don't hate me!
Kevin
Kevin,

Two pictures from the past.

Ralph and Lillie Douglass in Africa. Taken from a larger group picture. And my autographed copy of "Travel Trailer Here and Abroad."

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	autograph wally byam.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	60869   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFRICAN CARAVAN 1959 (32) Ralph and LillieDouglass a.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	60870  

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Very cool pics....I don't remember any photos of them (unless it was from a great distance) in the book? My copy of trailer travel doesn't have the signature....Oh well, still a good read!

Thanks for the photos!
Kevin
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Pee Wee your scans are always so welcome and high quality. I wonder if you could reproduce Trailer Travel Here and Abroad in a continuing issue format that we could follow and read in Andy's writer's section. If it is orphaned and not produced for profit or commercial gain would it be exempt?

An orphan work is a copyrighted work where it is difficult or impossible to contact the copyright holder.
To solve the problem of orphan works, some countries have considered a compulsory license scheme.[1] Some believe that such a scheme, even when applied to foreign works, would pass the Berne three-step test because it is limited to those works that are no longer actively exploited.

In January 2006, the United States Copyright Office released a report on orphan works,[4] concluding that:
  1. The orphan works problem is real.
  2. The orphan works problem is elusive to quantify and describe comprehensively.
  3. Some orphan works situations may be addressed by existing copyright law, but many are not.
  4. Legislation is necessary to provide a meaningful solution to the orphan works problem as we know it today.
In May 2006, U.S. Representative Lamar Smith introduced H.R.5439, a bill aimed at addressing the issue of orphan works by providing limitations of remedies in cases in which the copyright holder cannot be located.

There is an update from March 2008 on the legislation proposed to free orphan works here. U.S. Copyright Office - Orphan Works I know it has caused quite a stir and controversey in the photographers associations and community.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
I enjoyed "Trailer Travel". It was a great glimpse into the past experiences of the Caravans.
I've been looking for the "Fifth Avenue on Wheels" but have had a hard time finding it through the out-of-print sources. It really would be nice of these books could be reprinted.

... and now they have been! See here.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And I have my two copies on order !!!

plus two sets of those cool aluminum tumblers too !!!

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #29
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Just ordered my copies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
... and now they have been! See here.
For those interested in buying these two publications now is the time to act as I believe supplies are limited - although I have an original copy of 'Trailer Travel Here and Abroad' I am really looking forward to getting the paperback reprints of that book and 'Fifth Avenue on Wheels' - the price is great at $19 USD plus shipping - I just ordered mine.

Go to airstreamlife.com/store

AND, many thanks to Rich Luhr and Dale Schwamborn.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Well, supplies aren't really limited because we are using a digital press and can reprint at will. BUT, it turns out we were a little aggressive in setting the price at $19. So next week the price will go up to $24.95. If you want to snag the cheaper price, order by Monday 4/19.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Awesome! I'll be ordering mine shortly.

Thanks, Rich, for making these books available again to today's Airstreamers. You ROCK!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Got mine the other day- interesting reading!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Got mine too. Thanks, Rich!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
And I have my two copies on order !!!

plus two sets of those cool aluminum tumblers too !!!

JF, I'll blame you for calling my attention to those tumblers. Looks like I'll have a couple of sets for the Airstreams now too.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #35

Currently Looking...
Wilmington , Ohio
Etta Payne

I recently came across another book/pamphlet written by Etta Payne. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this?

Please bear with me while I try to upload the images...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Etta Payne front.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	123101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Etta Payne inside.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	123102  

ruwithme is offline   Reply With Quote