Old 09-21-2002, 02:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Re: The Flying Cloud mystery...

Quote:
Originally posted by Simplyspent
I looked over Don Reasons site and found several errors.

[/B]
Hey Children...not let's not get snippy here! What are the errors? Can you document your corrections?

My Airstream site was the outgrowth of information I received when I simply wanted answers to my questions about the company. I posted questions on the two RV newsgroups. People responded with TONS of information. After a few months, I compiled the information and posted it again to those two newsgroups as an "Airstream History." Usually, I would post it each month and people would write with additions and corrections.

IF you will go back and READ my Airstream history, you will notice several things.

1) I had to go on-line to do all of my research since Airstream provided almost no real information regarding the history of the Airstream company or of Airstream trailers.

2) Many Airstreamers contributed to this information over an initial two-year period, and several more since then.

3) NOWHERE DO I CLAIM that the list of monikers is complete. In fact, even Airstream doesn't have complete records regarding monikers and lengths. The monikers changed often. The lengths changed often, sometimes even within the year. I am also aware that not all monikers are listed. Don't shoot me!

4) At the end, I post several questions and ask the reader to send in new information. You can, too.

And some personal comments:

1) Owning an Airstream does NOT make one an expert.
2) There is NO official Airstream historian.
3) Airstreamers are like Baptists...if you have five of them in a room, you will get seven opinions!

However, Bud Cooper is a wealth of information. But he is not the final answer for anything. Neither is anyone else!

Typical for any project of this type, I have found multiple stories regarding several points in the history of the company, the history of the trailers and even TWO CONFLICTING STORIES regarding the formation of the WBCCI.

If you have found ERRORS in my site, please stop whining about it. Simply write me and give me your information. If you think there are errors, I would LOVE to have the correction. THAT is what I have been searching for. I promise that I probably have another version of the same story besides yours. I just keep asking and keep asking and folks keep filling-in some of the gaps.

Several months ago, I began working on a complete revision of the Airstream History. But...I have a real life also. I simply have not had the time to complete it and upload it. But it will be fun when you see some of the things added.

Folks, we are all Airstreamers because we all are a little odd, a little "distinct" from all others. So help me out here!

Gee...if Wally could just send us a message from the great beyond and tell us "the truth!"

D*

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
Correction: Fred Coldwell is the current VAC historian, not Bud Cooper...

Shari
The VAC is a NEW group. Bud Cooper was the founder. I don't know Fred but...if he holds an official designation as "historian," I am sure it is a group effort.

D*

Airstream FM

Old 09-21-2002, 04:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Low Numbers

Hex,
Some excellent points you've raised..
The only thing I know for certain about the low numbers sequence is this: The 'unofficial' word I was told by a member of the board of officer of WBCCI is,"The lower numbers are given out to exective board members only." Where that sequence starts, I haven't a clue. (The exective board member that I talking to had a 3 digit number on their MH)

Did Wally have #1???
I'd would like to know the ans to that, one as well.~!~
For some reason, I have this feeling that Wally, might've been the sort of individual who, might not have cared~!

I'd like to 'Welcome Don, to the website~!
I can still remember several years ago, when I was researching A/S, his website was one of the few that existed with information abt A/S~!!
Look forward to seeing/reading your post Don.
ciao
Old 09-21-2002, 08:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
At least back in 1962 # 50 was registered to Louis and Mildred Mousley Box 3131 San Bernardino, Ca. They went to Canada, Europe, Cuba, Mexico, Kentucky, Africa rallies. Sounds like they were active folks.........hope that helps
Old 09-21-2002, 08:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
#1 was issued to Wally Byam
Old 09-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Old Book?

Hi Ken,
Nice to see you on-board . What is the name of "the old book"???? Thanks for sharing these valuable info to the rest of us!@! So Wally DID take number 1 after all....I guess you'd have to expect it..WHO wouldn't..lol
Nice country out your way..
Old 09-21-2002, 11:28 AM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
I want to thank you for all the work you have done on your web site.
http://www.calldon.com/air.htm
Hope to see you around often.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone with my clarification of Fred Colwell's postion as VAC Historian...but it is a VAC Board appointed postition that he currently holds.

VAC Contacts & Officers

He lives here in Denver and has attended several Rallies. He is always sharing the wealth of information that has been donated, purchased & collected by many folks over the years to the VAC. Of course it is a group effort...

Shari
Old 09-21-2002, 01:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterH-79MH
Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
I want to thank you for all the work you have done on your web site.
http://www.calldon.com/air.htm
Hope to see you around often.
Thanks. I am amazed at the info NOW on the Internet regarding Airstreams or any other subject. When I put the History on-line, there just wasn't much info out there at all. That is why the newsgroups were so helpful. Around 5- 1/2 years ago, I attended the Region9 rally in Waco where I met and was able to spend some time with Bud Cooper. He even had models to demonstrate what he was telling me.

Last Summer, I met a guy who had been an Airstreamer for several decades. He was REALLY angry about the Beatrice Foods connection. He even had names of the officials who made decisions to weaken the frame and make other changes in the Airstreams. Unfortunately, I only had a chance to visit the first time I met him. Since I didn't have paper or recorder, I was not able to successfully interview him that day. THEN...he moved to some place in Florida before I could get back with him.

I was very intense about this at the beginning...seven years ago. I still am but, I don't have as much time to spend on the web site now. And most of my questions have been answered, sometimes in two or three versions.

When people begin to ask me questions about Airstreams or about RVing in general, I let them know that I can easily bore them for several hours just talking about Airstreams, giving them far more information than they want to hear. Then they just laugh and I begin one of my long Airstream sermons. I am sure some of you do the same thing to your friends and especially relatives...those relatives who don't understand your interest!

If you or anyone can help me fill-in the gaps, please write with the new info. One day I may tour the country in my 1986 Argosy squarestream, playing the piano and giving Airstream speeches!

Thanks for the welcome.

D*

Airstream FM

Old 09-23-2002, 08:51 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Airstream History

I guess there are still gaps in the history. Especially from the time when Wally got sick to the company being purchased by Beatrice Foods. I haven't seen that published anywhere.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The book that I have is the WBCCI book from 1962 - it is the same book that we all get today as members showing all members by alpha and numeric listings.

I bought it off e-bay this past summer along with an orginal brochure with my 59 Traveler in it.

I looked up our current number 5358 and it belonged to Morey and Irma Hinn. So in their honor we named out 25 Tradewing Morey and our 18' Traveler Irma.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:24 AM   #26
hex

Question Puzzled and looking for the Museum!

Now I am really puzzled.

Ken you say you looked up your current Wally-Number 5358, and it previously belonged to the Hinns, right?

Are you saying that your trailer belonged to the Hinns?
Or were you assigned #5358 when you joined Wally-club? or both?

Now why are they re-assigning already used numbers, or are they?
I guess the Hinns relinquished the old number (by failure to continue with dues? or perhaps by joining Wally's Eternal Phantom Caravan)?

I know it is not too important in the big scheme of things, but it would be helpful for occasional research purposes if the numbering guidelines were known. I have visited the WBCCI site and I don't think they are explained there.

Another resource would be all the roster books.
I wonder if that complete collection exists?
I wonder how many Airstreams have been Wally-Numbered out of all Airstreams built? I would expect at least 50% probably more??
Do the roster books show serial numbers or size & floor plan of numbered unit?

How bout brochures and owners manuals, is there a designee to try to amass all of those?
i.e. maybe Airstream ~~does~~ need an Official Historian.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:37 AM   #27
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Re use of WBCCI #

If the old number is not currently being used, the current owner of the AS can request the old number for their membership.

I believe this is to help cover the old lines that are left by the removal of the old numbers. Apparently you cannot get rid of the old impressions left by old numbers without thorough polishing.

We are currently in the process of joining WBCCI and we have been granted permission to re-use the old numbers that are still on the AS. We will proudly display number "2499" on our 71 Overlander.

If any one can give me names of previous owners, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Smily
Old 09-24-2002, 09:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can request any number that is available like I did. My first number was 1300 because I bought a trailer that had won best of show then was in a major hail storm - I figured the 13 was kinda cool. Then when I sold that the buyer wanted that number to stay, so I released it to him and requested 5358, which I will keep. My trailer was not owned by the Hinns. WBCCI will let you have any number that is not in use. If I remember right they hold the numbers for a year or so when a member does not renew.

You can research any number in Jackson Center - from what I understand they have all the books that were ever published.

No they do not publish size or floor plans. Just name address, unit number and in the old books what caravans they were on.

I don't know what you mean by Wally numbers - they are quite a few numbers assigned to Airstream Inc.

Some old manuels can be obtained from Helen Davis at Jackson Center.