Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2002, 10:28 AM   #21
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
I want to thank you for all the work you have done on your web site.
http://www.calldon.com/air.htm
Hope to see you around often.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone with my clarification of Fred Colwell's postion as VAC Historian...but it is a VAC Board appointed postition that he currently holds.

VAC Contacts & Officers

He lives here in Denver and has attended several Rallies. He is always sharing the wealth of information that has been donated, purchased & collected by many folks over the years to the VAC. Of course it is a group effort...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterH-79MH
Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
I want to thank you for all the work you have done on your web site.
http://www.calldon.com/air.htm
Hope to see you around often.
Thanks. I am amazed at the info NOW on the Internet regarding Airstreams or any other subject. When I put the History on-line, there just wasn't much info out there at all. That is why the newsgroups were so helpful. Around 5- 1/2 years ago, I attended the Region9 rally in Waco where I met and was able to spend some time with Bud Cooper. He even had models to demonstrate what he was telling me.

Last Summer, I met a guy who had been an Airstreamer for several decades. He was REALLY angry about the Beatrice Foods connection. He even had names of the officials who made decisions to weaken the frame and make other changes in the Airstreams. Unfortunately, I only had a chance to visit the first time I met him. Since I didn't have paper or recorder, I was not able to successfully interview him that day. THEN...he moved to some place in Florida before I could get back with him.

I was very intense about this at the beginning...seven years ago. I still am but, I don't have as much time to spend on the web site now. And most of my questions have been answered, sometimes in two or three versions.

When people begin to ask me questions about Airstreams or about RVing in general, I let them know that I can easily bore them for several hours just talking about Airstreams, giving them far more information than they want to hear. Then they just laugh and I begin one of my long Airstream sermons. I am sure some of you do the same thing to your friends and especially relatives...those relatives who don't understand your interest!

If you or anyone can help me fill-in the gaps, please write with the new info. One day I may tour the country in my 1986 Argosy squarestream, playing the piano and giving Airstream speeches!

Thanks for the welcome.

D*

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 07:51 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Airstream History

I guess there are still gaps in the history. Especially from the time when Wally got sick to the company being purchased by Beatrice Foods. I haven't seen that published anywhere.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 02:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The book that I have is the WBCCI book from 1962 - it is the same book that we all get today as members showing all members by alpha and numeric listings.

I bought it off e-bay this past summer along with an orginal brochure with my 59 Traveler in it.

I looked up our current number 5358 and it belonged to Morey and Irma Hinn. So in their honor we named out 25 Tradewing Morey and our 18' Traveler Irma.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:24 AM   #26
hex

Question Puzzled and looking for the Museum!

Now I am really puzzled.

Ken you say you looked up your current Wally-Number 5358, and it previously belonged to the Hinns, right?

Are you saying that your trailer belonged to the Hinns?
Or were you assigned #5358 when you joined Wally-club? or both?

Now why are they re-assigning already used numbers, or are they?
I guess the Hinns relinquished the old number (by failure to continue with dues? or perhaps by joining Wally's Eternal Phantom Caravan)?

I know it is not too important in the big scheme of things, but it would be helpful for occasional research purposes if the numbering guidelines were known. I have visited the WBCCI site and I don't think they are explained there.

Another resource would be all the roster books.
I wonder if that complete collection exists?
I wonder how many Airstreams have been Wally-Numbered out of all Airstreams built? I would expect at least 50% probably more??
Do the roster books show serial numbers or size & floor plan of numbered unit?

How bout brochures and owners manuals, is there a designee to try to amass all of those?
i.e. maybe Airstream ~~does~~ need an Official Historian.
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:37 AM   #27
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Re use of WBCCI #

If the old number is not currently being used, the current owner of the AS can request the old number for their membership.

I believe this is to help cover the old lines that are left by the removal of the old numbers. Apparently you cannot get rid of the old impressions left by old numbers without thorough polishing.

We are currently in the process of joining WBCCI and we have been granted permission to re-use the old numbers that are still on the AS. We will proudly display number "2499" on our 71 Overlander.

If any one can give me names of previous owners, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You can request any number that is available like I did. My first number was 1300 because I bought a trailer that had won best of show then was in a major hail storm - I figured the 13 was kinda cool. Then when I sold that the buyer wanted that number to stay, so I released it to him and requested 5358, which I will keep. My trailer was not owned by the Hinns. WBCCI will let you have any number that is not in use. If I remember right they hold the numbers for a year or so when a member does not renew.

You can research any number in Jackson Center - from what I understand they have all the books that were ever published.

No they do not publish size or floor plans. Just name address, unit number and in the old books what caravans they were on.

I don't know what you mean by Wally numbers - they are quite a few numbers assigned to Airstream Inc.

Some old manuels can be obtained from Helen Davis at Jackson Center.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:14 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Re: Puzzled and looking for the Museum!

Quote:
Originally posted by hex
Now I am really puzzled.

How bout brochures and owners manuals, is there a designee to try to amass all of those?
i.e. maybe Airstream ~~does~~ need an Official Historian.
That might be a good idea. I suspect it would have to be someone NOT employed by the company, yet "endorsed" by the company. Or maybe not!

Two thoughts...

ONE: The historian will have 2 to 4 versions of everthing. I know that I have at least two versions of some inportant events in the history of Airstream. And people STILL argue about it.

TWO: There will have to be a continuity about the archives, someone/something to keep it going.

I served on the board of another group for 5 years out of seven as a member. This was a historical musical group, and a 501c3, non-profit organization. I did not meet the official "club historian" for many years. In fact, we had a newer member who acted as our publicist and current historian. During the years I was there, she developed a HUGE archive of everything the club did and even related activities of club-members away from the club.

In my last two years, there were some questionable activities by some of the board members and a couple of the members. Soon, all but one of the founders dropped out of the group and the "powers that be" brought in new folks to vote and keep them in office. When I look back at the original archives still kept by the original historian, I completely understand why she holds on to it with a tight reign. The second historian knows that it would be foolish to hand-over her materials to the group now. They don't even seem to care. The current board and 80% of the current membership are brand new. There is no publicist and no historian. They could not care less about those who founded this group and gave their time, talent and money to get it going and keep it going.

Even if the WBCCI developed an official archive, they tend to look-down upon Airstreamers who are NOT members of WBCCI. I don't know how objective their archive would be. But at least, it would be an archive!

(Just my thoughts from experience.

D*

Airstream FM

Old 04-15-2004, 12:45 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Numbers available?

This is a neat thread. What ever became of Call Don and SimplySpent?
I wonder if the #50 mystery was ever solved?
And did he take possession from the father in law?

Can someone with one of those Number Books tell if the numbers 1009 and 2700 and 3908 are currently available?

Thanks
jaco
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
jaco: According to the 2004 edition of the Directory, #1009 is held by folks in Illinois, #2700 belongs to people in Florida, but #3909 appears vacant (or at least it was when the book was compiled.)
My understanding is that WBCCI holds a newly vacated membership number open for 2 years before returning it to the 'pool' to be reissued to a different member.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Smile WBCCI Inquiry

Very Interesting and informative tread.

My '59 Tradewind has the ghost # of 7051. I understand that this number is in use by a couple from IL. Can anyone find out the original owner's of this number for me. The story goes that the original owners that this AS for about 15 years before my family aquirred it. Also I'm looking at a number like 7031 if I can't polish out the ghost or 5659 or 5956 if I can. Could anyone tell me if these are avaiabile before I join the club.

Thanks, Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #33
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Question Silver Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone with my clarification of Fred Colwell's postion as VAC Historian...but it is a VAC Board appointed postition that he currently holds.

VAC Contacts & Officers

He lives here in Denver and has attended several Rallies. He is always sharing the wealth of information that has been donated, purchased & collected by many folks over the years to the VAC. Of course it is a group effort...

Shari
Shari, this website is very informative but when will it show the '07-'08 officers?
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
This is a neat thread. What ever became of Call Don and SimplySpent?
Well, "CallDon" is still around. Some things happened that got in the way of posting much on this excellent forum. First, life just got busy. There is almost too much information around now, compared to fifteen years ago when I first began seeking historical info on Airstream. At the time, there was little, if any, info available. The Original Airstream History On The Internet tells how it began with me back then.

I am an entertainer and performer. I am also not married. At the time, I was often traveling around the country performing, teaching seminars, driving or flying from coast to coast and still holding down regular gigs in Texas. I also had three internet radio-stations at one point, only two now.

Fortunately, there were others with a higher OCD level than I. Although my full-time home was a 1986 Argosy, these other Airstreamers had more time to spend on the subject, a spouse to help them and specialized in various areas of the study of the trailers and the company, eventually developing wonderful, far more extensive resources.

I still met with Airstreamers semi-regularly, mostly the North Texas Unit luncheons or dinners when I could. There were a couple of Airstream-related projects I wanted to do. But I had a couple of contracts broken, the economy changed and I never have been able to travel full-time as I originally planned.

Also, I have met some wonderful folks who are Airstreamers and made some nice friends. But a few do exhibit that slight condescension or arrogance that non-Airstreamers have noticed. So I backed off from becoming so involved, continued some of my interviews with Airstreamers and started Airstream FM, an easy-listening webcast with listeners in one-hundred countries. And I have a couple of neighbors who organized a new unit with the goal of more Airstream camping, less Airstream bureaucracy.

About one year ago, I bought a Nuwa Hitchiker fiver. As much as I love my Argosy, I enjoy the extra room and having three slide-outs. And the Nuwa quality is excellent, better than I could have imagined. The Argosy was showing its age and needs some work, new AC, new water heater and some other things. I will probably put the Argosy up for sale. After 4+ years, Airstream-FM is now operating from the Hitchiker instead of from an Airstream. But life goes on.

Although the original Airstream history is not as complete as web sites of those who had the time and energy (and a spouse) to develop it more than I did, airstreamhistory.com has the unique position of being the first Airstream history posted on the internet. I still love classic Airstream trailers and would love to eventually buy that little Argosy Minuet I used to admire at North Dallas RV. It's floating around the country somewhere.

Hope this helps answer your question!

Don in Dallas

Airstream FM

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #35
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome back Don. Glad you're still with us and continue the Airstream spirit. I'll have to give a listen to your AirstreamFM one day soon. Have you ever listened to the Vintage Airstream Podcast?

I think you'll find it informative and quite entertaining.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Welcome back !!

Hi Don:

Welcome back, it's great to see you posting again. I listen to your Airstream FM Internet radio station at lease once a week and often more frequently. I really enjoy the easy listening music as a soothing background for crusin' the Internet and doing online research. I especially enjoy Stan Getz's basso nova music, as fresh today as the day it was made, and Jackie Gleason's romantic hits. Jackie's arrangements are superb. His excellent ear helped him create just the right sound at the right time to shade the best torch songs blue and lonely. Achingly beautiful.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Welcome back Don. Glad you're still with us and continue the Airstream spirit. I'll have to give a listen to your AirstreamFM one day soon. Have you ever listened to the Vintage Airstream Podcast?

I think you'll find it informative and quite entertaining.

Brad
FF
Hey Brad, I'm ahead of ya. I saved a bunch of the VAP last year and before to listen to in the car. I get to listen during daily commutes and on long trips. The VAP is a great idea and you did a good job with it.

From catching up on the forum, I notice that the WBCCI is having the inevitable personality/power problems. It was expected to happen eventually. I also served as 1-vp for another similar historical group which was overtaken by a couple of power-hungry "gentlemen" (alcoholic/crooks). They also drained the group of funds and started their own business. Life is too short for all that conflict. So I just enjoy my RVs, enjoy the music and the AS forums and lists...and look forward to the day I can again get on the road.

Wish I had the time and resources to have expanded my AS history like some of the others did. But there are only 24 hours in a day. Besides not being retired, I had several other irons in the fire, including the above mentioned group. But it has been interesting over the past 15+ years, watching these groups evolve, the phases they are going through.

It has also been interesting watching the Airstream owner-base change, first to the younger crowd, then the falling economy and high AS retail prices. I hope Thor can continue to adapt the product to the changing owner base and keep it alive. Wally would be proud of some changes but would knock-some-heads regarding others, especially the power-wars.

And let me add, I think an album including Stan Getz with the Jackie Gleason orchestra would be the ultimate sound for Airstream FM. Can you imagine some of those beautiful ballads with Stan Gatz's smooth sax and those dreamy Jackie Gleason strings! What a great mix!

Airstream FM

Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Hey Brad, I'm ahead of ya. ...snip... The VAP is a great idea and you did a good job with it.
Oh I had nothing to do with the formulation of the VAP, that is all Tim Shepherd, the host, along with Colin Hyde and Rob Baker, the panel pros. I just promote it whenever I can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #39

1970 29' Ambassador
Tulsa , Oklahoma
WBCCI Membership questions

I have a 1970' with a ghost number 26065. It has a new one placed over it, 6299. The round WBCCI sticker is in tatters, but still recognizable over the red numbers. Is there a log of membership or owners somewhere that is accessible to the public?
Joseph Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #40

Currently Looking...
McAllen , Texas
Lou Mosley in 1959 and 60 I think.. #50
Ms. Toni is offline   Reply With Quote