Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
The Airstream Offices - History

I have enjoyed reading all types of useful information here on the forums. The knowledge and friendly folks here have made our Airstream ownership a whole lot more fun.
I’ve searched the forums and the net for information on this bit of Airstream history but it may still be incomplete. Perhaps someone can add some info if you know.
In 2003 or so Airstream was designing the Basecamp (I believe it came out in 2007). For design help, they enlisted the help of Nissan Design (the well respected design arm of Nissan here in Southern California). Nissan designed the Basecamp and in return, part of the compensation was that Airstream provided them with three 2003 22’ CCD shells (no interiors, no plumbing).
At the time the design facility was going to undertake a major renovation. Divisions within the facility would need temporary offices while the construction took place. So….turn loose the designers and they created some very cool office spaces. Lighting, built in custom desks, flooring and some beautiful details. Each was different.
The result was some very inspired office interiors, which served as the temporary offices Nissan was looking for. The Basecamp was a pretty unique departure product for Airstream and seems to be liked by those that own them.
Now here is where I can’t connect the next details. If you Google “Airstream Office”, there is an old link to a blog from 2004 at MoCo Design that mentions the Airstream Mobile Office. It is short and the text is here:

AIRSTREAM MOBILE OFFICE
by Admin1 / March 17, 2004
Towable Business RV.
 Airstream's commercial division has launched the Mobile Office to "solve your unique transportation needs". The mobile office is custom designed to meet various business applications. Special wiring, generator, kitchen, bathroom, heating, it can all be done to make your executive transporter your office away from the office. The MoCo design Nissan Mobile Office is pictured.
MANUFACTURER: airstream.com

There are some pics with the blog that I will try and include here:
(see below)

You can see the attention to detail, the Nissan logo on the trailer and one of the others in the background.

Did they turn out so well that Airstream considered a new product? The designers obligation was the Basecamp only. There is no other mention of the Mobile Office as an Airstream product that I can locate.

Where are they now? There was no use for them when the facility renovation was complete. I believe the main outside interior design consultant on the project has one (the orange one pictured), another local designer (with a passion for Airstreams has another), and I have the third.

I’ll include a couple photos (see below). I use a mobile office and have revived it for that purpose. It is a great space and everyone comments on the unique office environment.

I know others have converted their Airstreams into offices or created an office within the space, but these were modern offices designed for a specific use.
Did Airstream see a potential future market for this product? Is there a story behind the one random blog from years ago? If anyone knows please jump in and help with this story.

Cheers

John
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
photos

My office. Here are the photos (sorry still figuring this out)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	114163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	114164  

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	114165  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
photo from the blog

from the original article
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream_mobile_office2_mar_04.jpg
Views:	4344
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	114166  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
one more view

my office
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	114167  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
That is certainly a unique piece of Airstream history. Very cool.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Thanks Avaitor - I'm trying to get some photos of the third one. They were all different.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
John,

I just found this post... My wife and I have been brainstorming about the idea of creating a "mobile office" out of an Airstream. I am interested in taking a new shell to a custom designer like Timeless Travel Trailers and having it built out for me as a mobile office.

I think the marketing piece alone would be significant (think traveling billboard) within my own community, but would also allow me to work from the road with all of the necessary tools at hand.

Does Airstream do anything like this? Or do they leave it to custom designers? Have you found any examples of custom Airstream offices that might be helpful?

Thanks!

Hibby
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Hi Hibby -
Just saw your post. I don't know if Airstream proper (Ohio) does anything like this. My guess is no. My office was done by Nissan Design America as a concept (one of 3). They are one of the design studios internationally responsible for designing Nissan automobiles, but sometimes do outside projects like the Basecamp.
They have very sophisticated machine and cabinet shop facilities capable of making just about anything. However, I would imagine that any high end cabinet shop should be able to fabricate an office interior.
Mine started out as a shell that Airstream provided to Nissan, so there is no plumbing or provisions for plumbing. Airstream might sell a shell, you would need to check.
It looks like the shop at Timeless can do great interiors. The studio at Nissan created everything including the overhead light valances. I think the interiors came with the finished wall panels in place....this would be something to consider if you have to wire out the walls for electric and data. Materials used in mine are white foil covered laminate type desks with custom cut blue clear plastic (acrylic) countertops. They are held in place with threaded thumb screws in the corners. The transition to the bench ht. are radius corners and the acrylic is radius also. The bench seat pads are white suede. The floors are bamboo. It is wired for shore power electric and CAT-5 data. It has a battery (1) but I guess that must be for the running lights, because there is no low volt lighting or outlets (although that might be a nice thing to have). There is the roof mounted heat pump / ac that must have come on the shell.
It definitely makes a unique office. The wrap windows at each end really opens visibility. Shame they never went forward with the mobile office concept.
Good luck with your project.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Thank you so much for your insight... We also have an Airstream Dealer here in Grand Rapids, and they do full rebuilds and refurbs. I may find that they are interested in, and very capapble of doing, a custom office project. It sure would be nice to have someone local involved! I'll have to spend a bit more time doing research before I know exactly what requirements we'd have to be fully mobile and functional, but it's an exciting project.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Good luck....and I'm sure you'll post photos when it's completed :-)
Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Absolutely I will... It's an exciting project!