Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
State Names On Trailers

I noticed on some 70's trailers have their home state in large letters on the side of the units.
What is the story behind this?
Was it something a club started?
Were the states names put on at the A/S factory during the build?
I think it was a cool tradition, what happened?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I know that my '68 has the ghost of the Ohio state seal on the door. I plan on putting the Illinois state seal over the same spot. I have seen a couple of other AS with the state seal ghosts on them too.

I would like to know the story too.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Kay's parents had Michigan on both sides of their Airstreams as they were part of the MI unit of the WBCCI back in the 70's and 80's. I believe it was a way to identify the state unit that you belonged to, especially at some of the larger rally's. Kay probably knows more about it and can fill in more later today. The state name was added after they bought the trailer - it was not part of the factory build.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Both of my trailers were NC based originally. Only the 1980 had a huge state seal on the right hand side. I have seen the state put in the blue stripe and always thought it was a neat concept. I haven't seen it on more than a handful of trailers over the years though.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It was something that my parents had added to their trailers when they bought them done, I think, by the dealership. I doubt my mom would remember anymore where they got it done, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her. Chris saw a MN A.S. the other day with Minnesota down the side so maybe you can still get it done.....

Kay
Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Our new to us 1976 Sovereign has "Michigan" in large blue plastic letters on each side. That was okay until it came to live in North Dakota.
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Our new to us 1976 Sovereign has "Michigan" in large blue plastic letters on each side. That was okay until it came to live in North Dakota.

As a matter of fact, it was the pictures of your trailer that started me thinking about the names. I remember seeing a lot of trailers with the states name on them like what is on your trailer years ago, and just never knew the history behind doing it.

At least the state North Dakota has more letters in it than Michigan. It should be easier to cover over than if it was the other way around.
Still a funny dilema though!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
It was something that my parents had added to their trailers when they bought them done, I think, by the dealership. I doubt my mom would remember anymore where they got it done, but I'll ask the next time I talk to her. Chris saw a MN A.S. the other day with Minnesota down the side so maybe you can still get it done.....

Kay

Thanks Chris and Kay for the info. It would be good to hear what your mother says about it. Not sure if having it done on todays models would look good, but it is interesting to hear the story behind it..
Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I talked with my mom last evening. I was right in that she really doesn't remember anymore where they got the state names from 30 years ago, but she seems to recall that they ordered their second one with the name on it possibly, so dealership or mothership? Then again she wasn't sure anymore. She's in her late 80's and memory isn't as good as it once was (same could be said for me and I'm younger!). Sorry I can't give you any better information.

Kay