Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Old Popular Mechanics on Google Books

Old Popular Mechanics magazines are now available for viewing on Google Books. I know I will waste a great deal of time browsing through them.

Is the story about Wally having written an article for Popular Mechanics true, or is it just myth? I've seen lots of references to it, but never an exact date. Can you historians straighten me out?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks for the info about PM. I have quite a collection of those and Popular Science. Reading those is a favorite pastime.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
I'd be interested in reading those as well.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
This is quoted from that other site.
WBCCI.org

Wally graduated from Stanford in 1923 with a degree in law. He never applied for a board examination or practiced law in any form for the rest of his life. Instead he went to work for the Los Angeles Times as an advertising copywriter. He held that job long enough to decide that he liked advertising, but did not like to work for other people. He quit and formed his own agency and published a how-to-do-it magazine for home carpenters and builders. In the course of editing and publishing, Wally came across an article on how to build a trailer and bought it for publication. It was rather poor, as he was soon to find out. Every mail brought him complaints.

His curiosity piqued, he decided to follow the instructions himself. He quickly found them impossible. Abandoning the article but not the project, which tremendously intrigued him, he proceeded to build a trailer.

It was a “crude, boxy structure which rested none too easily upon a Model A Ford chassis”, Wally wrote later in his book, “Trailer Travel Here and Abroad”, “little more than a bed you could crawl into, a shelf to hold a water bottle, a flashlight and some camping equipment … protected from the elements.”

Crude or not, it was Wally’s first trailer. It attracted much attention and people even tried to buy it from him. At first he wouldn’t sell; he was having too much fun with it himself. He wrote an article on how to build it and sold plans on the side.

He might have published the article himself in his own magazine, except for a very simple fact; he needed more money than he could “pay” himself. It was published by “Popular Mechanics” magazine.
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaugh View Post
This is quoted from that other site.
WBCCI.org

He might have published the article himself in his own magazine, except for a very simple fact; he needed more money than he could “pay” himself. It was published by “Popular Mechanics” magazine.
Yeah, I keep finding that quote, but nothing more specific.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Hopefully this will be a complete listing of articles. Many have searched for the elusive story in research libraries and on archived microfilm and have come up empty handed.
Maybe someone will discover it through a cross-reference or some other stroke of luck.
I have a feeling that the reference to "Popular Mechanics" was just a shorthand to describe any one of the numerous DIY magazines of the day.
The other common myth, which has been "busted", is that the plans for the first trailers were published.
Wally only sold plans through a small classified in Popular Mechanics.

Best wishes and good luck to the researchers,

Tom.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 1935 Airsteam Ad.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	89766  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post

The other common myth, which has been "busted", is that the plans for the first trailers were published.
Wally only sold plans through a small classified in Popular Mechanics.
Thanks, Tom. So does that mean the passage quoted above, which seems to indicate he published plans for his first trailer, is the myth?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
This Popular Mechanics article from 1937 mentions W. H. Bowles and has a photo of the early Byam trailer (calls it a teardrop) on page 32.

Popular Science - Google Books
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
This Popular Mechanics article from 1937 mentions W. H. Bowles and has a photo of the early Byam trailer (calls it a teardrop) on page 32.

Havn't seen this artical before. Thanks for sharing.
I remember reading a thread on the old VAC archives where someone had gone through old copies of various "mechanics" magazines of the period when Wally was starting his trailer business. The concensus was unless more evidance surfaced this small ad was the only connection to Popular Mechanics.
With luck more will turn up over time.

Tom.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
More Popular Mechanic Fun

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Found this magazine in a big pile we have.July 1967 Popular mechanics. On page 106 there is an interesting article on maintaining Airstreams on a caravan from Singapore to Lisbon. This is the link to google books I hope.
Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Byron Versteech, Scully, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerr View Post
Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Found this magazine in a big pile we have.July 1967 Popular mechanics. On page 106 there is an interesting article on maintaining Airstreams on a caravan from Singapore to Lisbon. This is the link to google books I hope.
I have the July 1967 magazine in my trove from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn.

I believe the article was written by McGregor Smith who wrote the book about the Around-the-World Caravan, Thank You Marco Polo. Byron Versteech who provided the information was the mechanic on the Around-the-World Caravan. I met Byron on the 1965 Lynda Bird Johnson trip through the Western United States. It was felt by Airstream, that with the importance of the small Caravan, that a world tested mechanic be furnished by the factory. Thank you Bryon.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks for filling us in on the article
Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
There is a three part travel trailer plan with a bunch of illustrations in the March, April and May, 1947 issues of Popular Mechanics. For anyone who ever thought of building their own camper, this should be interesting. The small fact that these plans are more than 60 years old should add to the interest level.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk View Post
There is a three part travel trailer plan with a bunch of illustrations in the March, April and May, 1947 issues of Popular Mechanics. For anyone who ever thought of building their own camper, this should be interesting. The small fact that these plans are more than 60 years old should add to the interest level.
The name of this article and series of plans is A Home Of 1000 Addresses. The writers name is Hi Sibley. It's not Airstream related, but it is still a very interesting article. I guess if you painted it silver ...?
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Certifiable

. , .
Does anyone have access to the May and June 1934 issues of Autotrimmer and Painter? Autobody and the reconditioned car - Google Books

I would try the folks at the Stanford University Library.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
THANKS for this info! I have a huge pile of PopSci and PopMech from the 90s and on, and they're just taking up space. Recently I recycled all of my old Model Railroaders, and now that I know Google Books has PopMech and PopSci, they can go in the hopper, too, freeing up more space in the house. And it's so much easier to find articles via Google Books - a quick search on some keywords produced articles much, much faster than I'd ever find them via flipping through...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:

Here's the shot in question and Doc Holman's Airstream Torpedo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torpedo.pop-mech.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	90785  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
THANKS for this info! I have a huge pile of PopSci and PopMech from the 90s and on, and they're just taking up space. Recently I recycled all of my old Model Railroaders, and now that I know Google Books has PopMech and PopSci, they can go in the hopper, too, freeing up more space in the house. And it's so much easier to find articles via Google Books - a quick search on some keywords produced articles much, much faster than I'd ever find them via flipping through...
It's wonderful because whenever I see these old mags at the antique store I'm tempted, but lack of space stops me. Having them online and easy to search is so much better. Every time this thread comes up I end up wasting an afternoon browsing through these old mags.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk View Post
The name of this article and series of plans is A Home Of 1000 Addresses. The writers name is Hi Sibley. It's not Airstream related, but it is still a very interesting article. I guess if you painted it silver ...?
I've had this site bookmarked for a while. http://www.mikenchell.com/VintagePla...tageplans.html
No Airstream stuff but an interesting look at how the backyard builders put their creations together.

Tom.