Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I have seen it used as an exposed ceiling, wall, countertop or floor and coated with something like a clear polyurethane to protect it. It looks rustic and not too bad in a garage or cabin...

End of OSB treatise.

I've seen it used as walls in a clear finish, too. It was in a bar outside my hometown (Paris, Arkansas) where they had taken out the cock fighting arena and put in a stage.

That's the level of class clear finished OSB has.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We went vintage and got the best of both worlds.

We got got the rounded retro style that we like better, and at a much cheaper starter price than a newer trailer.

But we also got it in good enough condition that it only took about 4 months of weekends to get it ready to camp in (mainly running lights, new axles, patching and sealing the subfloor, and window sealing). We started as an aluminum tent with a kitchen sink and stove. Gradually, we have added features like a functional fridge, a composting toilet, new water heater, a couple of dinettes, a shower and vanity, solar panels, LED interior lights and other things to shape it to our tastes and needs.

Each year we have spent many nights camping, and each time our trailer is just a bit more finished.

Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Our 1967 Tradewind was a good find for us. It needs/needed lots of work but we have used & enjoyed it from the begining. We have been doing the work slowly, which while sometimes frustrating is at least affordable. Check out my thread- 1967 Tradewind Travel Travails.
Fortune cookie say....."Prudence keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy."
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
I'm showing my ignorance but- what's an OSB floor? No longer used by AS? Is it wood, cardboard? Thinking about buying a used 20' because I like rear kitchen. Did they use this flooring in 2006 thru 2010 models? Any words of caution regarding this model? Known faults or poor design?
We had a 2007 Safari SE 20' for two years. It is a remarkable design with the large kitchen, but did not like it because of the center dinette. It felt claustrophobic, the large panoramic window being assigned to the bedroom.

If I wanted a smaller Airstream is would be the 19' with the panoramic window, or for larger the 25' with panoramic window. The 20' is also too small for long stays, perhaps more than a month. The living space is only the dinette and it becomes really small really quick.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Buying vintage is good if you like vintage and have the necessary skills to do the repair work yourself or the money to hire a good airstream renovator to do it for you. Look at lots of them and buy the best one that you can find. It is better to spend 8k on a real good one then 3k on a major project IMHO. I bought a real good one with good bones, a good skin and good interior. I have done lots of work to it, but also camped in it as I have worked on it. When it is finished, it will be better than a new one, it will be unique and I will have done it my way.

If you buy it right you will never loose money, no matter how many improvements you make to it. Look at lots of them, so you can make a good judgement about what you want and how much you need to spend.

Welcome to the forums.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Originally Posted by webspinner
We went vintage and got the best of both worlds.

We got got the rounded retro style that we like better, and at a much cheaper starter price than a newer trailer.

Same rationale here. We were able to pay cash and found one that was vintage outside, and modernized inside (refinished cabinets, updated appliances, 50A electrical, 3-stage converter, AC, newer mattress, new upholstery, etc.....) So far, we have gotten to use it for camping and have not had to do any restoration work. We passed on many, many older AS that were in good original condition before we found this one that is perfect for our needs. My recommendation is to keep looking until you find the one that is just right for you, even if you have to spend a little more initially to get what you really want.

1960 Safari 22
Budget M3 is offline   Reply With Quote