Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Information wanted about 1977 caravans

I have a 1965 overlander international that has stickers on the door from a 1977 european tour ,18 countrys, a central america caravan, #113, and a alaskla national rally in 1967. How can I verify if this trailer went on theses trips? wbcci #14119 on trailer. I would like to restore this trailer if it did all this, if it is worth doing. It has cherry woodwork, and is in fair condition. Will it be worth any more because of it's history? Thank you Paul

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperman33 View Post
I have a 1965 overlander international that has stickers on the door from a 1977 european tour ,18 countrys, a central america caravan, #113, and a alaskla national rally in 1967. How can I verify if this trailer went on theses trips? wbcci #14119 on trailer. I would like to restore this trailer if it did all this, if it is worth doing. It has cherry woodwork, and is in fair condition. Will it be worth any more because of it's history? Thank you Paul
Hi Paul,
The club does not keep records of trailers owned by members, nor of trailers that participated on caravans, but they do keep records (as long as someone remains a member) of who participated on caravans.

So from my old Membership Directories, here is what I can tell you. #14119 was assigned to Charles and Miriam Hervey, originally from Marysville, OH and later of Milford Center, OH, from 1968 through at least 1980 (didn't check any later). The Hervey's are listed as having participated on the following Airstream Company Caravans:
  • 98 - Alaska - Summer 1974
  • 108 - Central American Odessey - Winter 1976
  • 113 - European Adventure - 1977
I can also tell you that #14119 was assigned to someone else from the state of Maryland in 1966. I am missing a 1967 Membership directory, so I cannot answer for 1967.

Given that the evidence on your trailer fit's the known caravans that the Hervey's participated on, I would say we are as close to proof as we can get regarding the caravans.

As for the 1967 Alaska Rally, there are no club records of such an event that I am aware of (but then other than the International Rally, rally records are not maintained by the club). There were Airstream company caravans to Alaska in 1965, 1966, and 1968, but not 1967. It of course is possible that a 1967 Canadian Caravan (of which there were two) might have crossed into Alaska for a short time, but I have no way of proving or disproving that possibility. And in any case, the Hervey's are not recorded as having participated in a 1967 Canadian Caravan, although it is possible that the prior assignees of #14119 might have done so (possibly in a trailer that they later sold to the Hervey's), but the record would have first been included in the 1968 membership Directory, but was not because by then #14119 had been reassigned to the Hervey's. That paper trailer is a dead end.

Regarding increased value, I am not sure many would pay much more for a trailer that is proven to have been on these caravans, but some might. I do think that even without a significant increase in value, it might increase the desirability to many folks (myself included), making it easier to sell if you ever desired. Many Airstreamers want to be connected to the globe trotting history of the brand and perhaps own an airstream that went on some great adventures.

Have fun with your '65 Overlander, and by all means try to preserve the evidence that it went on those great adventures.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Joe, Thank you for the very detailed information. I do not know what I am going to with the trailer, yet. I started to clean it and the inside is cleaning up very good. The walnut woodwork is in very good shape as are the walls and ceiling. I found a 1963 24 footer that is also in very good shape, I sure like the doors on them. The sellers are having problems taking a title for it. As soon as they get that squared away I will figure out what i am doing. Thank you Paul
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

1965 26' Overlander
Frisco , Texas
Caravan 113 Europe

I was on the #113caravan as a teenager traveling with my grandparents. I remember Charlie and Marium. We travelled for 7months all over Europe.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Hello Kellsmoore, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the reply, you are the first person I have had contact with that was on the caravan. I have the inside of the trailer done, used it the first time two weeks ago. I just finnished stripping it yesterday, am waiting for polish now. I have tried to find Mr. Hervey, but am not doing good, there are a lot of Charles Herveys. I would like to talk with you if you will send me your number by e-mail, or a P. M. I am in N.E. Ohio. Thank you Paul