Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
How Many?

Since all of us are obviously members of some strange vehicular cult, I figure this is place to ask a question that I was asked recently by a nice guy with a "white box." Since 1936, how many "real" Airstreams has the company built and sold? Not Argosys not motorhomes, just Tin Twinkies?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Okeechobee , Florida
I say they built all of them.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That would also be my guess!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I say they built all of them.
Yes, I agree. But we do not see nearly as much silver as we do white.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Lol!!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'm not sure which part of the question is more annoying - the implication that Airstreams made in Airstream's factory by Airstream employees aren't "real" Airstreams because they have a drivetrain underneath, or the "Tin Twinkies" moniker, which is both metallurgically and nutritionally incorrect.

I like the "all of them" answer. It's the best answer to this question.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuhhuniban View Post
Since all of us are obviously members of some strange vehicular cult, I figure this is place to ask a question that I was asked recently by a nice guy with a "white box." Since 1936, how many "real" Airstreams has the company built and sold? Not Argosys not motorhomes, just Tin Twinkies?
That is a good question for your next visit to Jackson Center. Take the tour.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
That is a good question for your next visit to Jackson Center. Take the tour.
Ended up in Jackson Center on a Sunday night in 2014. Turned out, Monday wasn't a work day at Airstream, so we had a big Amish breakfast and went on to the East. Will I be back in Jackson Center? Who knows. We've wandered in all the lower 48 and are signed up for the 2016 Alaska Caravan (wait listed at this time).

Are the AS motorhomes really Airstreams? Sure, but almost everybody associates the name with the trailers. That's an Airstream to pretty much everybody. Deal with it.

As far as being offensive...get real. It's an RV, recreational vehicle, it's supposed to be FUN. I'm an engineer, I know the difference between tin plated steel and aluminum. I even possess the rivet spinning tools to do skin repairs (I restored a '65 AS in the early 2000's). If someone finds my Tin Twinkie license plate frame offensive, they need to get a life. Go look at a Twinkie and tell me the shape isn't the same. 1936 aerodynamics are not those of 2015. That has nothing to do with why the Airstream is great.

I got the May edition on the Blue Beret yesterday and the Airstream sales VP is named in it. I'll ask him.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
A very nice gentleman, Mr. Humphreys, at Airstream has emailed me (off the Forum) that records were not well kept back in the Wally Byam days or in the Beatrice days, but their best estimate is somewhere around 120,000 Airstream trailers have been built.

That's a bunch.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Prescott , Arizona
Twinkie?

The Twinkie, with cream filing, was invented in 1930. Is in coincidence that in 1936 Mr. Byam created a vehicle with the same shape? I don' think so...