Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Bravo! Y'all did a great job! hank and I enjoyed putting faces with usernames!
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #82
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I thought it was curious that there didn't seem to be any attempt to contact the original owner...find out a little more detail on the trailer's history. But maybe they did, and it got cut, too?
oh, well. It was fun! they certainly could've saved all that detail, and stretched it out to a whole hour.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
I thought the show was very well done.Great to see the interviews with Shari and PeeWee.Too bad Fred's got cut.I'm sure it would have been great also.

This show was extra special for me.I've played History Detective on these very Forums over 100 times the last year or so.It's been a lot of fun and I believe very satisifying for both myself and the folks I've tracked numbers for.And yes,I could have tracked this one(3684) fairly quickly but PeeWee's itinerary and list of participants was the clincher.

Great job by all involved in the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am afflicted with living on the east coast. The show did not come on until 10 and yes, I fell asleep around 9:30. Will it be airing again or did anyone DVR it? I was looking forward to seeing the show. This always happens when my wife asks me to come and watch TV with her in bed... If anyone has the show taped, please let me know. I am well rested today, but did not get to see it.
62Overlander,
If you can wait a few days and stay up late or get up really early, WHYY out of Philly is scheduled to re-brodcast it on 07/25/2008 @ 02:00.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I was a little surprised they managed to do the whole story without one mention of the WBCCI or the fact that Wallys vision is still alive as people continue to gather together and use their Airstreams for caravans, some more adventurous than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
Too bad Fred's got cut.I'm sure it would have been great also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Too bad they didn't show what's on the cutting room floor. I would have liked to seen Fred's part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Not only did they cut Fred, but Toni and I were filmed over a three hour period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I thought it was curious that there didn't seem to be any attempt to contact the original owner...find out a little more detail on the trailer's history. But maybe they did, and it got cut, too?
I know ALOT ended up on the cutting room floor...I talked extensively about the WBCCI and that there are still caravans, rallys & gatherings going on today all over the country & Canada. Also talked about how the VAC is an IntraClub (or special interest group) of the WBCCI focusing on the old trailers ~ some that HAVE gone on those old caravans.

I KNOW Fred, PeeWee & Toni all contributed much more information than time allowed showing too and told their own stories...but it didn't quite fit in the History Detective's "story" they were trying to tell. Oh well, sometimes that kinda footage will show up somewhere else...so keep your eyes peeled!

They were here in Denver for 2-1/2 days...I'm sure just as much in CA with the owners & the museum ~ oh well.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I saw the show last nite here in Sacramento..wow, would have been nice to see all that was 'cut' out!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #86
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Do we know when it will be re-aired?
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #87
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It will be on Saturday at 3am according to my PBS station guide. You can check your local station by going to www.pbs.org

I just watched it again, I have DV-R and it is saved on the converter hard drive.I don't knowhow to pull it off and put on a disk. Anyone ever done that?

The only thing I did not like was the condition of the trailer in question. Being trapped in a trailer park and being built onto like that is not what Airstreams were meant to do. Heck, the door is even missing from the poor guy.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #88
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
yea my friend was telling me about the program and he said it didnt look so good!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Cutting Room Floor, is it Cluttered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
I saw the show last nite here in Sacramento..wow, would have been nice to see all that was 'cut' out!
The major cut was not having Fred Coldwell's interview. But when you go through their interview and then see the final product you understand what they are doing. I have explained that in an early section.

Toni and I were interviewed for almost three plus hours.

They went through the process again and again and again, with slightly different questions, camera angles and props.

It was never meant to be a travelogue about Africa. It was the story of an Airstream.

I find that some of the information that Toni and I gave during the interview was used by Tokufu in his opening and ending. By the way it was used skillfully.

Go to the analysis. It will tell you a little more of how HD weaved the tale.

The cutting room floor is not as cluttered as you might think.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
(just a little side step I kind of chuckled at the part: he must have changed wives along the way....or something to that effect..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #91
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I cannot believe Fred was cut out. I had the pleasure of talking with him a few time during Vintage Trailer Jam. Each time was a great experience, I mean how often do you spend 45 minute discussing pre war frames one on one with the club historian. The man is brilliant and a captivating speaker.

The request for a copy of the show has been answered, it should be on the way to me. Thank you in advance
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #92
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I finally got to see the show this morning, Thank you Tom.
It seems a shame to see that trailer in a permanent situation like it is now. To each his own, but that seems like a a shame to me.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags