Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Helen Byam Schwamborn - 20th Year with WBCCI

I hope this gives you a view of what my Mother's 20th Anniversary with the Club, Airstream, Caravans and the many miles she traveled.

Take pride, in your Club and what she did for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blue Beret Feature Helen Byam Schwamborn 19750001.pdf (3.00 MB, 112 views)
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for sharing the article Pee Wee....I can only imagine what a proud son you must be. I love all this history!!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Pride for an extraordinary human being, my Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Thanks for sharing the article Pee Wee....I can only imagine what a proud son you must be. I love all this history!!
I had the love from a wonderful Mother, the admiration of person that went beyond what was expected of her, and the knowledge of the love that thousands had for her.

Pride in an extraordinary human being, my Mother.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for sharing this wonderful bit of the past. It illustrates what a selfless and hardworking person your mother was.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
That was excellent, Pee Wee. Thanks. I'm amazed by her profound multitasking ability. She had a lot of plates in the air at one time.

On a side note, I got the impression from her article that the first International rallies were held in Europe, i.e. Paris. I hadn't realized that before.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Pee Wee...I hope you start that book soon, I am so thrilled to see all this history unfold before my Eyes!!! Your Mother was a Saint!! I remember going to Hershey to see the International in 1970 and sitting in the stands to watch the Parade. If I would have known the makin's of Airstreamin' back then I would have spent the whole week there taking pictures. I remember being up on the hill(at the High School) and looking down over all the Airstream City(Rally) I will have to go back to all my old slides to look them up and see what I took then. Like I told you I only live about 12 miles from Hershey and it would be awesome if they would return to this area sometime soon. AirstreamHobo "Obie"
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
International Rallies at home and overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
That was excellent, Pee Wee. Thanks. I'm amazed by her profound multitasking ability. She had a lot of plates in the air at one time.

On a side note, I got the impression from her article that the first International rallies were held in Europe, i.e. Paris. I hadn't realized that before.
Dacia,

For many years the Caravan, Anhanger or Trailer Clubs of Europe had their International Rallies each year.

I know that Wally and Stel went to rallies in 1953, 1954, 1955 and then the 1956 European Caravan attended the International Rally.

The International Rally for WBCCI came about in the same vein that the WBCCI was formed. The WBCCI gave friends an opportunity to get together without going on a Caravan. On a much larger scale the International Rally gave friends from all over the United States, and Canada to renew their friendships, in mass, once a year.

It was held on the 4th of July for several reasons. This was a period of time that school was out, and summer vacations could be taken. Also what a great time to celebrate the fantastic life of Airstream and the WBCCI. Also it was a tribute to Wally Byam. The Fourth of July was his birthday. Oh boy, did Wally love a party...especially his birthday. The Airstream owners wanted to share their way of life, and their affection for Wally.

Pee Wee
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Once again, thanks for sharing - great article.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote