Old 05-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Found WBCCI 143 on my 62 Tradewind

While redoing the trailer we brought the trailer inside the barn. With lights on the trailer I saw ghost numbers 143 on the top. Also had Wally Byam Cararvan Club on it. If anyone can help find who had it thanks. I know that numbers from 100 to 200 are given to the international presidents now but back in the day I would like know anything about the trailer.
Rachel
"Agnes" 1962 Tradewind

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum

Old 06-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
From a similar thread, email history@wbcci.org with information. It may take a little while for a response, as paper records will be researched.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks. I'm on my way to international. Be there tomorrow with my trailer.
Rachel
62 Tradewind 24' "Agnes"

Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinke58 View Post
While redoing the trailer we brought the trailer inside the barn. With lights on the trailer I saw ghost numbers 143 on the top. Also had Wally Byam Cararvan Club on it. If anyone can help find who had it thanks. I know that numbers from 100 to 200 are given to the international presidents now but back in the day I would like know anything about the trailer.
Rachel
"Agnes" 1962 Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
From a similar thread, email history@wbcci.org with information. It may take a little while for a response, as paper records will be researched.

Tom
TVKetchum
Hi Rachel,
No need to email me at the above address as I have found this thread.

You are correct that numbers between 101 and 200 are now reserved for WBCCI International Presidents and Vice Presidents and the numbers are retired when the President complete his or her term in office. Additionally, the numbers from 1 thru 100 are reserved for Airstream to assign at their discretion, usually to current or former employees or occasionally someone outside the company that they want to recognize in a special way. These policies have been the policy since about 1970.

Prior to 1970 there was no formal reserved number policy, but starting in 1962 and continuing thru 1969, several 2-digit and low 3-digit numbers became assigned to "Airstream, Inc." when they became available because the club members previously assigned those numbers did not renew their membership. The numbers reserved for Airstream sometimes changed over the years. I believe that they were typically used on Airstreams used by the staff that worked on Airstream Company Caravans and at company sponsored Rallies. This is speculation, but maybe the numbers assigned to Airstream were "released" at the time the trailers bearing those numbers were sold.

It just so happens that in 1962, #143 was one of those numbers assigned to "Airstream, Inc.". #143 remained assigned to "Airstream, Inc." thru at least 1966. It seems likely that any Airstream used by staff at a company sponsored Caravan or Rally would likely have a new or nearly new Airstream. This means that there is a reasonable chance your 1962 Tradewind Airstream was initially owned by the company and was used by someone staffing a Company Caravan or Rally. If this is true, it might be possible that your Airstream had some unique features that they were trying out before putting them into regular production. Or maybe not.

I am missing the 1967 Membership Directory, so I cannot check, but in the 1968 Directory, #143 was assigned to Hamilton & Rose Miller, Sarastoa, FL, caravans 37 - Mexico Winter 1964, 41 - Pan American Winter 1965, 51 - Mexico Fall 1966 & 52 - Mexico Winter 1967.

I then went back and found Hamilton & Rose Miller listed under membership #7946 in the 1963-66 Directories. By 1966 they were credited with caravans 37 & 41 (the other two had not yet occurred when the 1966 Directory was published).

This finding raises questions:

1. Did the Millers buy the Airstream bearing number 143 From Airstream in about 1966 or 1967 and change their number to match?

2. Or were the Millers caravan staff and Airstream eventually assigned them a low number as a sign of "Thanks"?

3. Or did Airstream just no longer require as many reserved numbers and let some go and the Millers just asked for #143 when it became available?

We may never know these answers, but this finding does raise the possibility that the Miller's owned your 1962 Tradewind. If questions 2 or 3 were correct I'd expect you to find the faint ghost outlines of number 7946 under the 143, but not so if question 1 was correct.

I will close by noting that #143 Hamilton and Rose Miller were last listed in the 1980 Directory, then in Port Isabel, TX and at that time they were credited for caravans 37, 41, 51, 56, & 58 - Alaska Summer 1968.

What's clear is that either Airstream, the Hamiltons, or both owned your Airstream. We have no way of knowing for sure, but if the Hamiltons did own your 1962 Tradewind, they may have taken it on some or all of the caravans they are credited with - which ones would depend upon which question above was correct (i.e. did they get it new in 1962 or buy it later from Airstream as a used trailer, perhaps in 1966 or 1967?).

No matter what, make some history of your own in that Tradewind!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wonder if the millers worked at AS, had the trailer for the company caravan and had it transferred to them?

That would be a fun story! 😀
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you for helping me find info about my trailer. I'm here at Lewisburg WV during the WBCCI and having a ball. Yes we did see some numbers (ghost) with 7, a 9, a 4, and 6 in it very hard to read. She now has my number of 9380. So far I'm having fun here and she has been on the WBCCI Facebook page at lease 4 times! I don't if the millers had it but it's had some damage to it many years ago. I'm remodeling it and so far the floor is done with the axle and all new belly pan put in. Just wanted to let you know that this trailer was made a few months after Wally Byam died. It's from California. I named my trailer Agnes after my grandmother.
Rachel
"Agnes" 1962 Tradewind

Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinke58 View Post
Thank you for helping me find info about my trailer. I'm here at Lewisburg WV during the WBCCI and having a ball. Yes we did see some numbers (ghost) with 7, a 9, a 4, and 6 in it very hard to read. She now has my number of 9380. So far I'm having fun here and she has been on the WBCCI Facebook page at lease 4 times! I don't if the millers had it but it's had some damage to it many years ago. I'm remodeling it and so far the floor is done with the axle and all new belly pan put in. Just wanted to let you know that this trailer was made a few months after Wally Byam died. It's from California. I named my trailer Agnes after my grandmother.
Rachel
"Agnes" 1962 Tradewind
Hi Rachel,
I'm glad you are enjoying the International Rally in Lewisburg! Sorry that I am not there to stop by and say "hi".

Given that you did find the faint outlines of 7946 under the 143, my best guess now is that the Miller's owned your Airstream since new and it was probably never used by the Airstream company. I say this because #7946 was first assigned in 1962 and would thus first appear in the 1963 Membership Directory, very appropriate for a 1962 Airstream.

This makes my prior guess #3 the most likely and the Millers just changed their number from 7946 to 143 when the "cool" low number became available. I now doubt the Millers were caravan staff for Airstream (guess 2, unlikely, but not impossible), but I would suggest that most likely the Millers did then take your 1962 Tradewind on all of the caravans they are credited with:
37 - Mexico Winter 1964
41 - Pan American Winter 1965
51 - Mexico Fall 1966
52 - Mexico Winter 1967
58 - Alaska Summer 1968

Of the 141 or 142 Airstreams that participated on the 1965 Pan American Caravan, yours is now the 4th surviving Airstream that I am aware of, and in a weird coincidence the 3rd surviving 1962 24' Tradewind, to go on that trip. This was the first official Airstream Company Caravan to reach the Panama Canal!

Overall, you have a well traveled Airstream with it (probably) having been to Mexico multiple times, thru Central America to Panama, and thru Canada to Alaska. I say "probably" because the club did not keep records of the actually Airstreams that participated on caravans - we can only make educated guesses on that. Still, most vintage Airstreams don't have such a rich travel history.

Now you can celebrate some of Agnes' prior historic travels as you finish restoring her and make travel history of your own!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

1960 24' Tradewind
Eugene , Oregon
Discovery!

Hi Joe,

Just removed a plaque from the rear of my '60 Tradewind to discover a "74!" (Well minus the exclamation point, that's just my excitement) Would love any info you could give me, thanks!

Ariel
Old 07-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermade View Post
Hi Joe,

Just removed a plaque from the rear of my '60 Tradewind to discover a "74!" (Well minus the exclamation point, that's just my excitement) Would love any info you could give me, thanks!

Ariel
Hi Ariel, Do you mean you removed a rather large plaque from over the rear window and found the number "74" in about 6" high numerals? If so this may be a WBCCI number, if not I don't know what it is and a photo would help.

If it is 6" numerals above the rear window, there should be the same over the front window. Are there any signs of such?

Let me know and I'll look things up. Thanks.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 07-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

1960 24' Tradewind
Eugene , Oregon
Hi Joe,

Yes it was a large plaque above the window on the rear. I haven't seen any numbers on the front. Would also appreciate advice on filling the holes left by the sign as I likely won't reattach...

Thank you!

Ariel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	265780  
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you for the info on Agnes. I plan on adding this to her folder.
Rachel

Old 07-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermade View Post
Hi Joe,

Yes it was a large plaque above the window on the rear. I haven't seen any numbers on the front. Would also appreciate advice on filling the holes left by the sign as I likely won't reattach...

Thank you!

Ariel
Hi Ariel,
The plaque must have been large enough to cover a much longer (e.g. 4 digit) WBCCI number, but I cannot see any evidence of any digits other than the "74".

I do however, see evidence that there was a "Wally Byam's Caravan" decal below the numbers. This is important, because that decal was only used until about 1963, so we can determine that the number 74 was most likely applied to your 1960 Tradewind between late 1959 and 1963.

You may not be aware, but in the early years of the club, some 1, 2, & 3 were assigned to multiple members because the club was formed after Wally Byam had lead several caravans. On each of those early caravans, trailers were numbered anew each time starting at 1, but when the club was formed, members were able to keep the number they had been assigned on a prior caravan. In the early days, some numbers had 2 or 3 or even 4 or 5 assignee's.

I mention this, because #74 had two assignee's right from the start of the club in 1955. #74 was assigned as follows in the Membership Directories:

1955-1970: Harry & Marge Hoyt, San Bernardino, CA, caravans 4 & 6.
1955-1960: E. William (Bill) & Grace Williams, Tulare, CA, caravan 3.
(There was no 1961 Directory)
1962-1966: O.R. & Lenna Slocum, Fresno, CA, caravans 32 & 39.
(I am missing the 1967 Directory)
1968-1980: O.R. & Katherine Slocum, Fresno, CA, caravans 32, 39, & 60 (possible remarriage?).
1981: Katherine Slocum, Fresno, CA, caravans 32, 39, & 60.
1982: Unassigned. (Did not check further, because by this time, numbers below 100 were not reassigned to the general membership. They were assigned at the discretion of Airstream, Inc. Plus we know that the #74 was applied before the end of 1963).

So what does this mean?

1. It seems doubtful but not impossible that the Williams owned your 1960 Tradewind. They would have had an earlier trailer for their lone caravan that occurred before 1955 and would have had to upgrade to a 1960 model and then drop out of the club the next year.

2. It is definitely possible that the Hoyts owned your 1960 Tradewind, but like the Williams they would have had an earlier trailer when they took their caravans and first joined the club. It is possible that they upgraded to a new Airstream in 1960, but I have no way of proving or disproving it.

3. It also seems possible that the Slocums could have owned your 1960 Tradewind. The trouble is that I doubt that #74 would have been reassigned to a new member in 1961 (thus first showing in the 1962 Directory) given that there was another couple that was also currently assigned #74. The most likely scenario to me would be that the Williams sold their Airstream (whatever it was - 1960 Tradwind or an earlier model) to the Slocums and because this trailer already had the number 74 on it, they were allowed to keep the number 74. Or maybe, Lenna Slocum was the daughter of the Williams and the trailer passed down a generation. Who knows? This is only speculation.

All I can say for certain is that one or possibly two of the three couples identified above owned your 1960 Tradewind. This is one of the tougher cases I have run across, so I don't have a good guess which one(s) owned it.

And if the Slocums owned it, they may have taken it on some or all of the following caravans:
32 - Eastern Mexico Winter 1963
39 - Eastern Canada Summer 1964
60 - Klondike-W. Canada Summer 1968

Maybe some paperwork you got with the trailer or decals or badges on it can shed more light on the mystery, but I have exhausted my resources. Have fun with your Tradewind!

P.S. As for filling the holes, I recommend using rivets. There are lots of choices depending upon your skill set and tools, and what you are doing to rejuvenate the Tradewind. The key is getting a water tight seal. Options include:
- traditional "pop" (or blind) rivets (not likely to seal perfectly as they will leak around the "mandel" that is pulled to make them expand)
- "closed end" pop rivets (no center hole around the mandrel to leak)
- "Olympic" (bulb tight) rivets (pop rivets that need to be "shaved" to mimic the look of a solid rivet)
- Solid rivets (need access to the interior to "buck" them)

The first three can be installed without interior access. In all cases, I'd put a dab of caulk under the rivet head before riveting them into place. All of these rivet types can be ordered in different sizes depending upon the size of the hole you need to fill. OK, enough about rivets for this post. You can read more about then all over the internet.

WBCCI/VAC #6768