Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I have the stove for sure - I paid 250 for it - I did put a little dent on the side of it - cannot see from front very fixable and cannot see when installed - anyway I think $200 is fair - have a friend headed your way in late May - maybe I can get him to bring it

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
This trailer is history.......not only will you have interest from Airstream itself, but the new RV Museum in Texas will be watching too. The famous gold Airstream trailer was purchased from its second owner after Wally and restored. Its on display in Jackson Center.

FYI...the smaller bubble trailer {single axle) Wally took to Mexico and Central America in the early 50's was found and sold at a Christy's Auction for $90k...unrestored!! I recently found the last home he and Stella shared in Los Angeles, exterior looks mostly original but house itself was added onto. Neighbors said he always kept 2 or more Airstreams in driveway for house guests. I am sure, yours was one of those units.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Ken J, sounds great to me, can you check with your contact on the refrigerator also?

Mike1997 - thanks for the info, wish someone had more interior pictures on this trailer but we're going to do the best we can to match what we can see. It's encouraging theirs sold for that much but we plan to keep this thing for an awefully long time! Do you have pictures of their house?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
FYI...the smaller bubble trailer {single axle) Wally took to Mexico and Central America in the early 50's was found and sold at a Christy's Auction for $90k...unrestored!!
Maybe not the same trailer, but the Bubble Wally and Stella took to Europe in 1955 to scout for the 1956 European caravan sold in an Goodings and Co. auction in Scottsdale, AZ for "only" $55,000 in January 2009.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Joe,
My info came second hand so maybe it was the same unit or could be mistaken. However, found a photo of Wally standing next to a bubble trailer that was identified as being in Mexico where the first caravans traveled in early 1950's.

Please correct me if wrong, but I thought this AS recently found was the unit Wally used on the 56 Europe caravan that lasted 6 months. All caravans from 1951 to 55 only went to Canada or Mexico.

Did he or Stella keep any type of trip logs on these caravans showing where they were? If so, those would answer many questions.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Joe,
My info came second hand so maybe it was the same unit or could be mistaken. However, found a photo of Wally standing next to a bubble trailer that was identified as being in Mexico where the first caravans traveled in early 1950's.

Please correct me if wrong, but I thought this AS recently found was the unit Wally used on the 56 Europe caravan that lasted 6 months. All caravans from 1951 to 55 only went to Canada or Mexico.

Did he or Stella keep any type of trip logs on these caravans showing where they were? If so, those would answer many questions.
Wally's first caravan went to Central America in 1951-52 and he used a little 15' Airstream Cruisette on that one. I am unaware if that Airstream has been rediscovered. Wally then lead annual caravans to Mexico for many years. Annual caravans to Canada started in 1954.

I am aware of a story that on one of the early Mexico caravans, Wally had to cannibalize his Airstream for parts to repair others trailers and he apparently abandoned his trailer in Mexico, but I forget which trip that was, maybe the first to Central America that went thru Mexivo, or maybe a later one.

The 1956 Europe Caravan was about 6 months long including shipping time, 5 months driving around in Europe. This is the trip the recently discovered Airstream was used on.

I do not know if Wally and Stella kept logs on all of their caravans, but I am aware that Wally sent audio recordings home during the 1959-60 African caravan. I think part of his 1960 book "Trailer Travel Here And Abroad" was dictated that way during that trip.

P.S. I can find no evidence online to support your comments about a Wally Byam Airstream selling in a Christie's auction for $90,000 or any other price, but you can find evidence of Goodings auction one I mention if you search for Bubble serial number X251. That Bubble was not even in original condition when it sold. There is a thread here on Airforums that discussed that Bubble at the time. Too hard to look up the links here on my phone as I type this response.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Be sure to check the frame carefully - mine was bent - we think it was either dropped from the ship or was airborne about three feet :-) - when we took the shell off and put it back on it seemed to like the bent frame so we are keeping the frame - we added some stiffening over the wheels and tongue so should be good - also we have some scratch marks on the front of the trailer that we think we're from ship cables - all interesting stuff

Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Subscribing to this fascinating thread!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Ken, first task once our streamline sells is to have new springs and shackles done and to repair a split in the frame where the axle bottomed out. It's minor but still going to have it commercially welded. I'm trying to track down some 15" stock rims with the hub cap clips because I have 4 good original baby moons but need rims if anyone has some for sale please let me know. The entire frame appears to be boxed and was done so at original build based on remaining paint etc. guessing that was done for the abuse of being lifted etc. rest assure before we put down a new floor it will be leveled and checked.

If course I can't do floor until I find the right jalousie hardware. So I can keep the water out
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
VERY interesting - sounds like the same thing happened to yours as well - wonder what they hit or if both trailers were dropped - my frame is box as well - only thought is if you straighten out the frame and getting the shell back on - as I said my shell was happy with the frame so we left it and just welded plates over the axles and A frame - cannot tell anything was welded to the A frame

Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Lesson 1 I learned on the Air Forums, NEVER ask an axle question in a thread...

So here goes. I have yet to find information on a 55 26' with double axles, everything I've found so far is a single (enter point where first poster points me to tons of examples I missed).

What rating axle should I use, and how many leaves per axle?

Why am I upgrading axles. Well, in short the springs are shot, the tubes have a tremendous amount of rust, the bearings are totally shot, and I want modern electric brakes on it for safety. I just want to make sure I size everything correctly. I'm going to go through a reputable shop here locally that still even does blacksmithing and custom suspension fabrication. I know he'll have a recommendation but I want some airstream folk input so that I can make sure we're making the right decisions.

For historic integrity I do want to stay leaf spring suspension. I'll even tuck away the original axles if someone wants to put them back on down the road.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
cabinet latches

I found 'em. and...all sorts of other old Airstream hardware.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Scott,

Here is a picture of the springs and axle on my 1954 Liner. The spring pack was quite high, I don't remember how many leafs but more than a current spring pack.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0656.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	279404  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
See my the new set up I did on my 58 Overlander here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f97/...n-12320-2.html

When I did that one, I could not duplicate what was there originally - I know spring shops can re-work existing springs, but I opted for new for the same reason as you - in the Flying Cloud, I was talked into torsion and I'm glad I did - much better ride - I left all the mounting brackets in place in case I or someone ever wanted to put it back to original. If I remember the axles were a 3500 lb rating.

Ken

Rally
restoration rally

Tags
1955, 1956, cruiser, european caravan, full monte, wally byam, wbcci