Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Does a Comprehensive Airstream History document exist on this forum?

Since buying a 2009 Flying Cloud I've become very interested in knowing more about the history of these wonderfully designed trailers. I've been searching the forum for some type of document that lays out nearly everything there is to know about Airstream's history...nothing so far. Does a comprehensive history document exist on this forum which would lay out the history I'm searching for? My criteria would be the following:
  • Which models were made during which years?
  • What does each model look like?
  • What features were added as standards along the way?
  • What years were those standards added?
  • Sales each year?
  • Factory history?
  • Caravan history?
I see lots of threads regarding these issues, but I really don't want to take the time to read every thread in this forum. Any suggestions?
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Try this site for trailer built prior to 1980: Vintage Airstream Home

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS_Wyo View Post
Since buying a 2009 Flying Cloud I've become very interested in knowing more about the history of these wonderfully designed trailers. I've been searching the forum for some type of document that lays out nearly everything there is to know about Airstream's history...nothing so far. Does a comprehensive history document exist on this forum which would lay out the history I'm searching for? My criteria would be the following:
  • Which models were made during which years?
  • What does each model look like?
  • What features were added as standards along the way?
  • What years were those standards added?
  • Sales each year?
  • Factory history?
  • Caravan history?
I see lots of threads regarding these issues, but I really don't want to take the time to read every thread in this forum. Any suggestions?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Here is a site on info Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Short answer, I have never found a single document incorporating the information. Many such documents/books exist for the various auto models (Mustang, Corvette, Thunderbird, etc.) I am surprised one doesn't exist for Airstreams.

Maybe one of the Airforums members who is looking for a "job" while fulltiming might want to give it a try. I have no idea how large a market exists for such a book.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
There are a couple of books around. Wanderlust, published by Airstream to celebrate the 75th anniversary and Airstream, History of the Land Yacht by Bryan Burkhart, or attend a WBCCI event with PeeWee and listen to him.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Short answer, I have never found a single document incorporating the information. Many such documents/books exist for the various auto models (Mustang, Corvette, Thunderbird, etc.) I am surprised one doesn't exist for Airstreams.

Maybe one of the Airforums members who is looking for a "job" while fulltiming might want to give it a try. I have no idea how large a market exists for such a book.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60 View Post
Here is a site on info Vintage Airstream Photo Archives
This site is a great start! We see so many of these going down I-90 now through Gillette that we just have to know what they look like inside too! The photos on the site above are awesome!

If you haven't been in the newer models, we are so happy to have a 2009 model. It is a pure pleasure to "camp in". The reason for the quotes around "camp" is that our friends tell us they don't consider what we do 'camping' because we're in an Airstream, not some 'white' trailer.
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello GAS Wyo -- 'comprehensive' history is not probable in one location. It is unbelievably complex.

For history from the 40's thru 60's -- some that I wouldn't miss:
1. Shari 'InsideOut's history of vintage fitting out is important. http://www.insideout-design.net/VintageAS-models.html
2. Any post by former VAC historian, Fred Coldwell, and the broader discussions at at VAC E-mail List Archive. And Fred's posts here at AIR -- Airstream Forums - View Profile: 47WeeWind
3. Sierra Nevada Airstreams -- with attention to the history/PeeWee section.
4. Also posts by PeeWee here at AIR about early caravans with Wally. Frustrated as he was by our format (ie, no longer participating), he has provided unique insight into inner Byam family adventures. And PeeWee in our Gallery. PeeWee has stood down from participating and aims to write a book as I understand it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
There is at least one book of Airstream history available from Amazon and other booksellers. I forget the name but if you go there and do a search you should turn up several books on vintage trailers.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

Later- A quick search turned up two histories of Airstream, one called "Airstream: History of the Land Yacht"

http://www.amazon.ca/Airstream-Histo...262214&sr=1-31

The other is "Airstream Living" more on contemporary Airstream owners
http://www.amazon.ca/Airstream-Livin...d_bxgy_b_img_b

There are other books too on the history of trailers and camping.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I had a neighbor find the book noted above, "Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht" in his basement and since he was moving and saw my AS in the driveway he passed it along. I can say that it has lots of neat pictures, some great and pretty indepth info on Wally and his travails. It also has a lot of great photos. The reading part of it is like following a windy mountain trail sometimes, but overall it has a lot of good history in it!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The simple answer to the question is ; NO. Maybe someday someone will take it on. It would be a big project.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Has anyone done anything toward this yet? I see that the last post in the thread was July, 2010.

We're still in the researching stage, looking at going FT in 2015, and it looks like an Airstream just might be a possibility for us. We will be buying a used one, and it would be interesting to know what fit where when. I know that there were various iterations of motor homes, that at least a few Airstreams had slides, and that there were some models that were 34' long. None of those seem to be available today. When did they appear, and when did they disappear? Why were they dropped from the lineup?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote