Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
tres cool

There is a picture of a bunkhouse being lifted by crane onto (or off of) a ship in Calcutta India, in Bryan Burkhart's book, The History of the Airstream, page 107.

You can view it by going to Google Book Search and typing in the search terms: airstream calcutta

I will try to post the link, hope it works
Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht - Google Book Search

By the way, this thread is TOTALLY COOL!!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
unit modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 GlobTro View Post
An important note in the book: during their time in India, caravanners had lots of truck and trailer frame work done in "one of Bombay's modern machine shops" (no name given). Perhaps this trailer had extensive work done at Anand Automobiles?

~Lori
Obvious modifications are the frame on the rear to hold 2 spares and the extended tongue. Anand Auytomotive's plate does say Bombay along with Calcutta and Delhi

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
I wonder if anyone knows who had WBCCI #6471 back in '64 and is there a corolation between that number and Long Beach. If so a computer search may find the first owner or surving kin who might recognize the trailer.
The numbers metioned above were 6472 not 6471. They are not presently assigned. I called WBCCI and they said they will find out what they can
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
There is a picture of a bunkhouse being lifted by crane onto (or off of) a ship in Calcutta India, in Bryan Burkhart's book, The History of the Airstream, page 107.

You can view it by going to Google Book Search and typing in the search terms: airstream calcutta

I pulled up that photo, and the bunkhouse shown in the air has a streetside scare light, like Marshall's trailer.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 GlobTro View Post
Everyone loves a good mystery, huh? Last night I re-read the chapters in Thank You, Marco Polo that were about their journey through India.

Information relevant to trailers shipping in and out of India:
It was too dangerous for the caravan to drive through the Thai-Burma border at the time, so Andy Charles arranged to ship the trailers from Bangkok to India. The freighter's name was Eastern Saga and it took the trailers on December 22, 1963 and docked in Calcutta on January 3, 1964. The caravanners were in India for about 3 months. When they left, they drove west to Pakistan.

During their time in India, Byron and Joyce Versteegh's rig burned to the ground at a gas station, and Elmer and Ida Benham gave their trailer to Versteegh (a caravan mechanic) to finish the caravan since the Benhams had already caravanned through Africa, Europe, and the Middle East before. The Benhams flew home, and the Versteeghs finished the trip with the Benham's trailer. (Wow---Airstream gave the Benhams a replacement trailer when they came back to the U.S.) Also, Glenn and Vera Davis' trailer was sheared in half in a bad traffic accident. Their is no indication that any of these trailers or parts were shipped out of India. An important note in the book: during their time in India, caravanners had lots of truck and trailer frame work done in "one of Bombay's modern machine shops" (no name given). Perhaps this trailer had extensive work done at Anand Automobiles?

The book doesn't list caravanners by trailer numbers, but if someone tracks down the number 6471 and finds a name, I can cross-reference the name with the list at the back of the book if the trailer somehow migrated to California from another state. The California-based caravanners were the following:
John and Ruth Edgar (Ramona, CA)
Cecil and Grace Friend (Lemoore, CA)
Milton and Eleanor Jacobsen (San Jose, CA)
Raymond and Marguerite Labrucherie (San Jose, CA)
Charles and Ione Maskell (San Leandro, CA)
Martin and Ethel Mathisen (North Hollywood, CA)
Ray Mathisen (North Hollywood, CA)
Lawrence and Marjorie Nolen, Lawrence Nolen Jr., John Nolen (SanDiego, CA)
Paul and Ruth Ross (LaPuente, CA)

Good luck---the truth is out there!
~Lori

My 1968 WBCCI Directory lists that number (6472) to paul & Thelma Ross of Seal Beach CA.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Researching previous owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I just got this 62 Ambassador with a bunkhouse layout and have noticed a couple of things I'm curious about. I has sat for years and if everything is not origiinal at least it is old.
First, along with the other ID plates next to the door there is a plate riveted to the coach stamped 1964 that says "NAN Automobiles Bombay, Calcutta, Delhi.
Second, the bumper is extended with framwork welded on for not one but 2 spares. Could this old girl have been on a Wally Caravan in India in 1964?
I can't find any trace of red numbers as the whole trailer has been painted white but the serial number is 28TSSO306.
Earlier i posted a dozen photos under the new thread I started "My Fugly 62 Ambassador Bunkhouse" (which was also the first forum thread under the 62 Ambassor heading in the knowledgebase. For some reason I don't understand
the thread did not make it past the knowledge base to the "lastest discussiion listing, so I will post a few more photos below.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX
Lumatic, I am surprised that someone has told you to do a title search, just like what we do on old cars. If you are the registered owner you can go to DMV and do a title search and they should be able to tell you who all the previous owners was if the Unit was titled to them, Get the search for as far back as they can give, then if it does not go all the way back to the original owners go to the last title on the list and write that state DMV and supply them with the title number of the title on that paper and they should be able to go back even further until you get to the original ownership. if this unit was produced and sent to a dealer in another country you will only be able to go back to the first title after it returned to the U.S.
May be worth a shot, it does not usually cost much unless you have to go to several states to search then each one is going to want to charge.
I would also write that company in Calcutta/Delhi and ask them if there is anything in their records on this unit.

Sarge
Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
My 1968 WBCCI Directory lists that number (6472) to paul & Thelma Ross of Seal Beach CA.
Interesting...

I wonder if that is the same "Paul Ross" that was with "Ruth" on the caravan. Maybe Ruth's real name was Thelma? Maybe Paul re-married? Or has a son named Paul? Or ???

La Puente is not far from Seal Beach...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Interesting...I wonder if that is the same "Paul" that was with "Ruth" on the caravan. Maybe Ruth's real name was Thelma? Or a son? Or ???

La Puente is not far from Seal Beach...

Shari
Here are the caravan's listed for Paul and Thelma Ross up to 1968

Caravan #30-Western Canada-1962
Caravan #31-Western Mexico-1962
Caravan #35-Round The World-1963-1964
Caravan #43-Alaska-Summer 1965
Caravan #54-Trans Canadian-Summer 1967

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This just keeps getting better. Can't wait for all of this to pan out. Maybe you should contact the History Detectives.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Maybe you should contact the History Detectives.

Brad
From what I can tell, with this group - you already have!

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23 View Post
Here are the caravan's listed for Paul and Thelma Ross up to 1968

Caravan #30-Western Canada-1962
Caravan #31-Western Mexico-1962
Caravan #35-Round The World-1963-1964
Caravan #43-Alaska-Summer 1965
Caravan #54-Trans Canadian-Summer 1967

So is the India Caravan part of the 'Round the World' Caravan? I guess I need to learn more about caravan history - I think it's fascinating!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anand Automotive Systems -- Was Anand Automobiles

These are some links to what appears to be the successor company to Anand Automobiles:
The information that I have been able to locate points to the founding of Anand Automotive Systems as Anand Automobiles in 1961. The current organization seems to date to about 1992. Articles about the early history of the company idicated major interests as automotive/agricultural equipment import/export as well as production of driveline components such as wheels, axles, bearings, springs, etc.

The date on the plaque seems to point to a time close to when trailers on the World Caravan may have been assembeled for transportation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
So is the India Caravan part of the 'Round the World' Caravan? I guess I need to learn more about caravan history - I think it's fascinating!
Yes Stef,check post#11 of this thread.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1975 20' Argosy 20
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post

Yes, this is a totally cool thread!!
The WBCCI# on the bunkhouse in this picture looks like 8511. Is this a picture of the same caravan? If it is, has anyone checked this number out?

WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote