Old 07-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Bill ~

I DID see that article and had to go look for it. I use a Mac but will try his technique of copying the DVD contents to the hard drive. We'll see.

In case anyone is interested, the conversion article is in the Spring 2008 issue of the Vintage Advantage, pages 17 through 19. Best of luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
[*]The WBCCI number can be clearly seen in two scenes -- that number was #6472

Kevin
I will carefully strip away the white paint. Maybe I can find residual numbers lurking underneath

Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I see your trailer has the old Ca. Black and Yellow plate. Those color plates were first issued in 1960 and ran into the '70's.

I wonder if anyone knows who had WBCCI #6471 back in '64 and is there a corolation between that number and Long Beach. If so a computer search may find the first owner or surving kin who might recognize the trailer.

P.S. If you register the trailer in New Mexico do not turn in the Ca. plate. You can sell it to someone here with an old trailer and they can have the Ca. DMV reassign it to their vintage unit.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Dealer Plate from India 1963

Here's the dealer plate with some of the white paint over it removed. From top to bottom it reads:

ANAND AUTOMOBILES
Bombay Calcutta Delhi
Date 19 3 1964

The date is stamped and I assume is March 19, 1964.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmbAnandcopy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	63950  
Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How interesting! Why would it have that plate? If it had gone over with the caravan and come back, it wouldn't have a dealership plate. If it had been sold instead of being shipped back, how did it end up back in the states? What a great mystery!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Looking at the picture of the tank area it looks like the modification was to add two additional propane tanks to the trailer. The hold downs used require a tank on each side to sit correctly. This could be an indication that the trailer was used in a caravan such as the Around the World Caravan.

The plate on the trailer with the Indian Auto dealership could mean anything. The book "Thank You Marco Polo by McGregor Smith Jr.-1966" might have some clues, I wish I had a copy.

One possible explanation might be;
The caravan lasted over one year and covered over 30,000 miles. I am sure some members of the caravan dropped out for many different reasons. Possibly this trailer's owners had to drop out in India and return to the states in a hurry for what ever reason. They leave the trailer with the auto business who arranges the shipping back to the United States. To help with the customs out of India they badge the trailer as one of theirs and the rest is history. Or maybe not...

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Did I find a 62 from a world Caravan?

This is speculation on my part, but a possible scenario could be that Anand Automobiles was the company that handled the import/export of the trailers/tow vehicles -- and the date stamped was the date of "importation". A quick search on the web reveals that Anand Automobiles was a predecessor of a business in Idia that currently is in the business of importing and exporting automobiles and related products among other things.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's interesting too that the rivets on the tag aren't pop rivets, they look the same as the rivets on the panel above it.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
This is speculation on my part, but a possible scenario could be that Anand Automobiles was the company that handled the import/export of the trailers/tow vehicles -- and the date stamped was the date of "importation". A quick search on the web reveals that Anand Automobiles was a predecessor of a business in Idia that currently is in the business of importing and exporting automobiles and related products among other things.

Kevin
Kevin,
If you have the contact information,send it I will try and track them down. I'm thinking this may be tie beginnings of an interesting article for the forums sister site or VAC magazine. If any one else has any research suggestions send them along. The obvious ones I guess are WBCCI and mothership.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
It's interesting too that the rivets on the tag aren't pop rivets, they look the same as the rivets on the panel above it.
Affirm the rivets appear to be the same size and type as the other factory badges. Did they even have pop rivets back then?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
Affirm the rivets appear to be the same size and type as the other factory badges. Did they even have pop rivets back then?
Our '63 had many, in odd places, that I can only think were put in at/by the factory.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #26
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wow, this is so very exciting!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Squaw Valley , California
Our '48 Liner had pop rivets where the interior panels were fastened near the floor. They were painted with the original Zolatone. To fasten the tag to the side they would have had to remove an interior panel to buck the rivets from the back side. Maybe there's something back there? We found interesting things inside our walls.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
1975 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
Eaton , Colorado
Thank You, Marco Polo

Everyone loves a good mystery, huh? Last night I re-read the chapters in Thank You, Marco Polo that were about their journey through India.

Information relevant to trailers shipping in and out of India:
It was too dangerous for the caravan to drive through the Thai-Burma border at the time, so Andy Charles arranged to ship the trailers from Bangkok to India. The freighter's name was Eastern Saga and it took the trailers on December 22, 1963 and docked in Calcutta on January 3, 1964. The caravanners were in India for about 3 months. When they left, they drove west to Pakistan.

During their time in India, Byron and Joyce Versteegh's rig burned to the ground at a gas station, and Elmer and Ida Benham gave their trailer to Versteegh (a caravan mechanic) to finish the caravan since the Benhams had already caravanned through Africa, Europe, and the Middle East before. The Benhams flew home, and the Versteeghs finished the trip with the Benham's trailer. (Wow---Airstream gave the Benhams a replacement trailer when they came back to the U.S.) Also, Glenn and Vera Davis' trailer was sheared in half in a bad traffic accident. Their is no indication that any of these trailers or parts were shipped out of India. An important note in the book: during their time in India, caravanners had lots of truck and trailer frame work done in "one of Bombay's modern machine shops" (no name given). Perhaps this trailer had extensive work done at Anand Automobiles?

The book doesn't list caravanners by trailer numbers, but if someone tracks down the number 6471 and finds a name, I can cross-reference the name with the list at the back of the book if the trailer somehow migrated to California from another state. The California-based caravanners were the following:
John and Ruth Edgar (Ramona, CA)
Cecil and Grace Friend (Lemoore, CA)
Milton and Eleanor Jacobsen (San Jose, CA)
Raymond and Marguerite Labrucherie (San Jose, CA)
Charles and Ione Maskell (San Leandro, CA)
Martin and Ethel Mathisen (North Hollywood, CA)
Ray Mathisen (North Hollywood, CA)
Lawrence and Marjorie Nolen, Lawrence Nolen Jr., John Nolen (SanDiego, CA)
Paul and Ruth Ross (LaPuente, CA)

Good luck---the truth is out there!
~Lori

1959 Globetrotter "GlobTro"
1967 Safari "Dusty"
1968 Safari "Cheyenne"
1975 Sovereign "Lovey"
1972 Ambassador "For Sale"
1975 Romany "Parts"
1970 Overlander "Parts"
1968 Ambassador "Larry" (for parts)
59 GlobTro is offline   Reply With Quote