Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 62
Images: 2
Central Florida AS Dealer around 1978 to '80

Back in the late '70s, '77 to '80, I was in central Florida. Believe it or not, I have been around that area so many times since then, plus 30 years have passed, and I don't remember whether it was Winter Park or Winter Haven or possibly Winter Garden. Back then I was in the market so I looked at a couple of Airstreams and really wanted to buy a '73 model they had on the lot.

At the time, I had a '73 Ford LTD as a tow vehicle. But I never did get the Airstream back then. I remember the dealer seemed to be "in town" as opposed to being out in the country. There were also plenty of trees around.

So can anyone tell me possibly what the dealers were back then in that part of Florida? Nostalgic Don is reliving old times, I suppose. On my next trip, I would love to drive by and see what's there today. I've had an '86 Argosy for over 13 years now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don in Dallas
__________________

__________________
Life is too short. Do it NOW!!!
The Don Pod

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Back in the late '70s, '77 to '80, I was in central Florida. Believe it or not, I have been around that area so many times since then, plus 30 years have passed, and I don't remember whether it was Winter Park or Winter Haven or possibly Winter Garden. Back then I was in the market so I looked at a couple of Airstreams and really wanted to buy a '73 model they had on the lot.

At the time, I had a '73 Ford LTD as a tow vehicle. But I never did get the Airstream back then. I remember the dealer seemed to be "in town" as opposed to being out in the country. There were also plenty of trees around.

So can anyone tell me possibly what the dealers were back then in that part of Florida? Nostalgic Don is reliving old times, I suppose. On my next trip, I would love to drive by and see what's there today. I've had an '86 Argosy for over 13 years now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don in Dallas
I think it was Holiday of Orlando, on Sand Lake Road.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
it was 5001 sand lake road. it seems to be Specialty Auto Body Inc. 5001 W Sand Lake Rd, ORLANDO, FL, 32819 Let google maps take you there now and see if it looks familiar!
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
it was 5001 sand lake road. it seems to be Specialty Auto Body Inc. 5001 W Sand Lake Rd, ORLANDO, FL, 32819 Let google maps take you there now and see if it looks familiar!
Back then it was Holiday of Orlando.

I worked there and left in 1982.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
I think Stout, or was it Stroud? something like that had several dealerships in different states and I think I remember one somewhere in central Fl. Dealers were a lot more plentiful back then
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I think Stout, or was it Stroud? something like that had several dealerships in different states and I think I remember one somewhere in central Fl. Dealers were a lot more plentiful back then
I think you mean C. J. Stoll, who had only one location, and that was in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 62
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Back then it was Holiday of Orlando.
I worked there and left in 1982.
Andy
That may be the one. I was in Orlando in Jan '10 and never thought about looking for the place. I couldn't remember exactly where it was anyway. I may have driven by there last January while knocking around one day.

I'm always interested in the history of Airstreams, Airstreamers and dealers. Can you fill in a little about Holiday? Were they a multi-line dealer? How long were they in business? What years? What happened to them later?

Thanks,

D*
__________________
Life is too short. Do it NOW!!!
The Don Pod

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
CallDon's Avatar
 
1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 62
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
it was 5001 sand lake road. it seems to be Specialty Auto Body Inc. 5001 W Sand Lake Rd, ORLANDO, FL, 32819 Let google maps take you there now and see if it looks familiar!
This was probably it.

D*
__________________

__________________
Life is too short. Do it NOW!!!
The Don Pod

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Florida state rally info RickDavis WBCCI Forum 33 10-01-2011 10:57 AM
Is dealer right about a leak? AlumFalcon Off Topic Forum 18 05-15-2011 07:59 PM
Favorite campgrounds in the Florida Keys Khulse On The Road... 11 03-05-2011 11:59 PM
Authorized Service dealer MarioM On The Road... 1 02-11-2011 09:28 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.