Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, after more investigating, I found an article stating that the Cerritos factory was at 15939 Piuma Ave. Cerritos, Ca. This is very close to the 605 FWY and Alondra.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Cerritos Airstream Factory.

Hi, today, like any good little Airstream owner, I went to 15959 Piuma Ave. Cerritos, Ca. It is now a liftgate factory. [Eagle Lifts] I talked to a manager/ boss/ owner? and he knew a little bit about this story. He confirmed that this building was quite old. He also stated that there were ten of these buildings and they all belonged to the Airstream factory. The one he is in now is the only one left. I asked, but he told me that there were no painted over signs or remnants of any kind left behind to show that Airstream was once there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7922RS.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	167201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7921RS.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	167202  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
According to the article "1959 Airstream Trailers" in the Fall 2012 issue of Airstream Life:
Quote:
Just before 1959 the name of Airstream newer California factory changed. This factory opened in 1950 at 12804 E. Firestone Boulevard in an unincorporated area near Norwalk, Calif., and it was known as the Norwalk factory. But during 1958 a new post office opened that used the name of nearby Santa Fe Springs. So even though it never moved from 12804 E. Firestone Boulevard, the factory was renamed using its new mailing address. The unincorporated area was formally annexed by the City of Santa Fe Springs in 1965 making the name change permanent.
I believe there may have been one or two California factory locations prior to Norwalk, first starting at the L.A. airport in 1947, but I do not have the details handy. Cerritos must have come after Santa Fe Springs, but again I do not have the details.

And Shari is correct, the last California factory was closed in 1979 or 1980. Not sure if this was done be Beatrice or Thor. I have not researched it, but have always assumed it was done by Thor as a cost cutting move right after purchasing Airstream. Supposedly Thor made money on Airstream the first year they owned it while Beatrice could not. Closing excess manufacturing capacity is a definite way to help the bottom line. Checking my records, though, I now see that Thor bought Airstream from Beatrice on August 29, 1980, perhaps making it more likely that Beatrice closed the California factory, possibly to make Airstream more attractive to potential purchasers.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Airstream California factories

Here is a very brief listing. All dates are approximate:

1. May 1947 to December 1947, Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport.
2. January 1948 moved to 1755 No. Main Street, Los Angeles.
3. 1950 - opened 2nd factory at 12804 E. Firestone Blvd in unincorporated Los Angeles that used a Norwalk post office address.
4. 1755 No. Main Street factory closed at unknown time.
5. 1958 - name of post office city for 12804 E. Firestone Blvd. changed to Santa Fe Springs. Factory did not move.
6. 1968 moved from Santa Fe Springs to Cerritos, CA.
7. 1979 Cerritos factory closed.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I live very close to this area. I retired from Cerritos Ford about five years ago. The car dealers stop at Studebaker and 183rd street. [between South street and 183rd on Studebaker Rd.] My drive to work was 2 miles.
Interesting! I lived near the intersection of Artesia Blvd and Gridley Rd in the city of Artesia. My real estate business was on South Street behind Cocoas resturant. I moved from the area in 1980.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Just took a virtual trot down N. Main in LA, and found the Airstream factory from that time period. It has a fresh coat of brick red paint on all sides, but Dale Schwamborn confirmed that part of the faded Airstream sign was in plain view up until the last couple years...

Recreating that sign on exposed brick would sure make a phenomenal backdrop to an Airstream museum. Just park Wally's Gold trailer, Old Grandad, the Bowlus and other rarities - maybe with a period tow vehicle in front of each - and charge folks to pose for photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream-factory.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	170051  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #21
Liner 1947

1947 22' Liner
1963 19' Globetrotter
New York , New York
Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport (Van Nuys) factory location

Hi,
Anyone knows what the exact location of the Airstream factory was at Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport (Van Nuys)?
I am planning to visit LA with my Airstream and take it to Van Nuys since it was its birthplace.
Also if anyone knows any part of the story behind the French cyclist Alfred Letourneur pulling the trailer at Van Nuys in 1947 (exact date and model number used) I would be very thankful.
Thanks!
Philippe
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
LeTourner towing a 1947 Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparfait View Post
Hi, Anyone knows what the exact location of the Airstream factory was at Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport (Van Nuys)?
I am planning to visit LA with my Airstream and take it to Van Nuys since it was its birthplace. Also if anyone knows any part of the story behind the French cyclist Alfred Letourneur pulling the trailer at Van Nuys in 1947 (exact date and model number used) I would be very thankful.
Thanks!, Philippe
Hi Phillipe:

The Airstream factory at the Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport in Van Nuys, Calif. was in a quonset hut, but I've never seen any information regarding its exact location at the airport. It may have been torn down since 1947.

The trailer towing occurred on May 7, 1947. A nice article on Alfred Letourner, a/k/a Letourneur or Letourneau, appears in the Fall 2007 issue of Airstream Life magazine beginning on page 60. Track down or purchase a back issue to read that informative article.

The exact trailer model likely cannot likely be determined, but it can be narrowed down to a few models by the location of windows along each side (photos exist showing both sides of that trailer being towed). Good luck with your search and enjoy your visit to the airport.

Aero Flite travel trailers were also built at the Van Nuys Municipal Airport. See: http://www.aeroflitetrailers.com/
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I've seen two photos of this event -- one showing his right side with nothing but runway in the background, and one looking at his left side with a one-story warehouse or hangar, and a polished single prop plane in the background.

If you take that photo with you on your phone, perhaps you could find the same building, though I'd imagine there's been lots of development in the intervening years. Plus, good luck even getting onto the tarmac to investigate.

[Edit:] The model shown in the photos seems to be a 22' Liner. If made in 1947, it would have been one of about 90 were built according to VintageAirstream.com.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Last week I was in Key West and found an old Airstream in horrible condition. It had an Airstream tag near the door with Jackson Center, OH and Cerritos, CA engraved on it.

After a little research I found an old warranty book with the factory address at 15939 Piuma Ave., Cerritos, CA. Considering someone found the building at 15959, it makes sense Wally would have operated out of multiple buildings at this location just like they do in Jackson Center. Even today they have buildings on both sides of the street at the Ohio location.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Irmo , South Carolina
Here's another address for you from 1936:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	origas.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	278550