Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream History
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
More progress over the last couple of days. Many, many test fits of the bath cabinet and to figure out the reassembly sequence and plumbing routings. I also remade the tub hidden wooden support, but no close up photo of that.

I finally got the hot and Cold PEX lines routed around the tub and secured into place with clamps and insulating sleeves to keep them from rattling. I glued down new shims to aid draining of the tub, and then I finally reinstalled the tub. It was a struggle to get it to align the holes in the fiberglass and aluminum trim edge with the rivet holes in the inner skin, but I was finally able to get them to line up using a few clecoes after multiple try and much tape temporarily holding the trim strip in place. I chose to reinstall with stainless screws because I would have had to further mangle the aluminum trim to get a pop rivet gun in there. I used putty tape between the aluminum trim and inner skin as original to make a water tight seal. That was a challenge.

I have since started to reinstall the bath cabinet, but quit as it got dark before it was fully bolted in. I did staple a new vinyl cove molding around the bath counter top and set it in place to see how it looks, but it is not bolted down yet. I also trimmed the bath wall to fit since I needed to enlarge the hole for the PEX lines and since the trailer had settled a bit over the last 56 years and the new floor tiles are a bit thicker than original. I had to take about 1/4" off the bottom of the wall, but now it slides in perfectly. I am not yet ready to permanently install it, but I did take a teaser photo with it set in place.

It finally is starting to feel like I'm making progress. Thanks for hanging in here with all my mundane details, but this is how I am keeping track of my progress and maybe it will help some reader seeing all the steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Bath Drain Plumbing.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	312111   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX Lines Routed Around Tub and New Shims Glued Down.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	312112  

Name:	Tub Cleocoed in Place with Trim Strip and Putty.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	312113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tub Screwed to Inner Skin.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	312114  

Name:	Starting to Bolt in the Bath Cabnet.jpg
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	312118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test Fit of Bath Wall.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	312119  

Name:	Test Fit of Bath Wall #2.jpg
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	312120  
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
looking amazing Joe!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
looking amazing Joe!!

X2

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The devil is in the details. Your progress descriptions certainly reflect all that is necessary to put these old trailers back together. It is not a weekend project.

May I ask what the material is on the bulkhead wall behind the tub? I wouldn't think it would be wood, but maybe it is. Maybe there was no shower throwing water around everywhere.

Airstream designed the rear bath with a big picture window in it for so many years. I'm sure that design sold a lot of trailers.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The devil is in the details. Your progress descriptions certainly reflect all that is necessary to put these old trailers back together. It is not a weekend project.

May I ask what the material is on the bulkhead wall behind the tub? I wouldn't think it would be wood, but maybe it is. Maybe there was no shower throwing water around everywhere.

Airstream designed the rear bath with a big picture window in it for so many years. I'm sure that design sold a lot of trailers.

David
I have no idea what the material is on the bath wall next to the tub, but it is original and seems impervious to water. It is an off white and the other side is normal wood veneer. I think the core is something other than wood, but don't know that is is. That material is used on three places in the bathroom: the shower wall, the closet wall next to the toilet, and on the end of the bath base cabinet next to the tub.

Regarding the big bath window, there were snaps on the inner skin (yet to be reinstalled) so that the shower curtain could extend over about a foot of the window to close off the window from prying eyes looking in and to contain splashing water from getting out.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #226
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Today's updates. Quit early because the ambient was about 90 degrees with high humidity. The storage unit is a dark brown color making the interior like a shaded oven. I did not have my heat gun with me, so I don't know how hot it was inside, but I could feel the heat radiating off the walls.

Anyway, I got the bath cabinet bolted down, got the PEX and drains lines hooked up and installed the toilet sprayer. The shower head is cleaned up and attached to a new hose, but won't be installed until I clean up and install the pegs that the shower wand can be hung on.

I quit early (about 7pm) when my brain was fried by the high heat. The one thing I did not get done was installing the trim strip between the bath cabinet and the tub. The tub fiberglass flange was originally nailed to the bath cabinet and then an aluminum trim strip was screwed over the gap and nail heads (with much putty). I debated reinstalling with nails . . . or screws . . . or nothing. Now that my brain has cooled off, I am thinking I will skip the nail and screws and just fill the gap with putty and put the aluminum trim strip over the gap. I really doubt the original nails provided much strength. The cabinet is screwed to the tub below this flange to secure the joint. I worry that the nails might do nothing more than cause stress cracks in the fiberglass tub flange.

Oh yeah, and I still have to put a new inner gasket around the rear compartment door, as the original inner gasket is falling off and does not even touch the door when it is closed. I believe the new outer gasket that I installed seals well, but I might as well have a working inner gasket as a backup seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bath Cabinet Bolted Down and PEX and Drain Lines Hooked Up.jpg
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	312258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Cabinet Bolted In and Counter Top Bolted Down and Sprayer Installed.jpg
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	312259  

Name:	One Trim Strip Yet to Be Installed.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	312260  
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Maybe that shower wall is melamine? The shower wall in my 75 Overlander is melamine. It is white on one side and wood grain on the other. My wall had suffered the indignity of a paint job, extra drilled holes, and lots of bathroom caulk. I decided to replace it.

Your bath is looking great. The heat and humidity of the summer months makes a guy look forward to winter.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 05-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #228
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Melamine or not, the bath wall has a lot of holes thru it to attach to the roof locker, bed base, bed lamp/shelf, and folding shelf bracket on the bedroom side, and to mount a towel bar and a couple of Byam Hooks in the shower stall.

It was another HOT one today, but I remembered to bring my heat gun. Didn't get to the trailer until late morning and by noonish the ambient temp was already 88, the temp on the inside of the storage unit walls was as high as 120 on the side in the direct sun, and it was already mid 90s inside the trailer. I had to quit before 1pm and head to cooler temperatures as the outside temp peaked in the 90s. I did a little prep work on cabinet hardware at home and then went back to install it at about 8pm. At that time, the outside temp had started to drop, but it was still 100 degrees inside the trailer.

Between my two trips to the trailer I got the bath cabinet to tub trim piece installed with putty behind it. I got the bath furnace vent cover installed. I installed the bath cabinet doors and drawers, and I installed some little aluminum plates in the drawer opening to reinforce the area that the twist drawer locks catch on. The plates came from another 1962 Airstream that I scavenged parts from a few months back. My trailer did not have them originally, but the drawer opening had significant damage to the wood from the drawer locks, so I am glad to be able to add "original" reinforcing plates to help the drawers stay closed during travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bath Cabinet to Tub Trim Strip Installed.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	312327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Furnace Vent Cover Installed.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	312328  

Name:	Bath Cabinet Doors and Drawers Installed.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	312329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Cabinet Drawer Lock Reinforcements Installed.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	312330  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Some progress today. We finally picked up the new cushions. They look pretty good, but I did not get any photos. I made drawer liners out of the left over Formica. I had enough left over Formica to do all but 2 drawers. The liners will be a nice additional barrier, beside multiple coats of polyurethane, to and remaining mouse residue. Again, I forgot to take photos.

The only photo worthy achievement today was getting level sensors attached to the side of a custom gray tank I had made a few years ago and then finally bolting the gray tank in for good. I did have to notch out the aluminum tank pan that I made for clearance to the sensors. The tank and pan is held in place by three 1" steel straps that are bolted to cross members. None of the drain or vent pipes are connected yet, but that should happen relatively soon as I feel it will be best to at least get the vent pipe installed before the rear closet goes in, because the gray tank vent pipe will splice into the existing vent pipe in the closet. It will be easier to splice the vent pipes before closet walls make access harder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Level Sensors Added to New Gray Tank.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	312503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray Tank Installed in Trailer.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	312504  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 05-31-2018, 04:47 AM   #230
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Where did are Spring go?

Joe,
Nice update. I can't believe you even attempted to work in there the past few days. Where did our Spring go? We went from Winter to Summer here in Michigan. It looks like you will be able to make some additional progress this next week or so with the temps dropping back close to the norm. Great work, keep it up! Someday I would like to see it in person. We are not far from each other here in Michigan.
Take Care,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
More progress today. It took longer than hoped, but the Gray Tank vent is "tee'd" into the existing Bath Tub/Sink vent pipe, using re-purposed original 1 1/4 ABS pipe and new ABS fittings. It is connected with a rubber coupler so that it can be easily removed for servicing the gray tank or the shore power cord that is hidden under the aluminum black tank shield in the attached photo.

I also started buttoning up some electrical items, including the bath fan seen in the attached photo.

I also bought more polyurethane and finally repaired the "drawer chip outs" in the kitchen cabinet veneer so that it can be poly'd soon in preparation for installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gray Tank Vent Installed and Other Bath Updates .jpg
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	312583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Cabinet Veneer Chipout Repair.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	312584  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi: It always takes longer than we planned. Step by step toward completion.

David
Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Yesterday (June 1st) was a minorly successful day. I got the Water Heater and Battery/Battery Box bolted down among other achievements, but neither is connected to electrical or plumbing yet.

This is the end of the "mostly empty" trailer era.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Heater Bolted Down.jpg
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	312762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bolted Down.jpg
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	312763  

Name:	June 1st Looking Forward.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	312764   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 1st Looking Rearward.jpg
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	312765  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Today (June 2nd) was a BIG day! HUUUUUGE!!!!

The trailer came out of the storage unit for the first time in 5 and half years! It made the trip home so that some cabinets could be installed, but boy does it need a wash.

I had a helper all day today, a good friend named Bob.

First we put in the Bedroom Streetside Roof Locker. Then the Rear Closet, the Bedroom Curbside Roof Locker, and the Bedroom Curbside Credenza. It was a lot of test fit, tweak, test fit, tweak, etc. until we got everything to slide and bolt in place. We even test fit the bed base temporarily, just to mark the outline on the floor with tape to help when it comes time to install the new fresh water tank and pump. Cabinet and closet doors, etc. will be installed later as time permits.

Finally, as darkness approached, the trailer went back into the storage unit.

One thing learned today is that getting the trailer in and out of the storage unit is much tougher with our 2500HD pickup than with out previous tow vehicle (a much more maneuverable Hummer H2).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Out of Storage for the First Time in Five and a Half Years.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	312770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob and Me.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	312771  

Name:	Bedroom Streetside Roof Locker Bolted In.jpg
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	312772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Connecting the Bedroom Lamp.jpg
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	312773  

Name:	Bed-Bath Wall Installed.jpg
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	312774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Base Test Fit.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	312775  

Name:	Rear Closet Bolted In.jpg
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	312776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom Curbside Credenza and Roof Locker Bolted In.jpg
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	312777  

Name:	Restored Woodwork Looks Pretty Good.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	312778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back in Storage With Our Better Halfs.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	312779  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #235
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
HUUUUUGE!!!!

Huge day indeed. Looking good! Glad to see all the hard work coming together.

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Wonderful your trailer saw the light of day even just for a short trip. Beautiful looking cabinetry. My trailer is all aluminum extrusions, tambor, and melamine panels. I might add that our 86 Limited does in fact have all wood cabinetry except for some shelving.

Hey, I think you ought to keep Bob around a while longer. You guys got a lot done today.

David

PS Thanks for the pictures, very nice.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Sunday was a slow day accomplishment wise. Monday was another good day, with some help again from my friend Bob. The most significant accomplishment over those two days were the installation of the Battery Charger and associated fuses and connection to the Battery and 12V Circuit Breaker Panel (which can be partially seen at the top of the attached photo above the battery but below the front shelf). The trailer now has a working charger and partially working 12V system, though I may add some clips to better restrain the battery cables from movement. Some lights and fans work on 12V and others are yet to be fully connected but it is great to finally get at least part of the 12V system operational.

The other big accomplishment was the partial installation of the front closet. It was getting dark before we got all of the screws and rivets in place, but we got enough in to hold it in place until I can complete the installation tomorrow.

This time, since there was only a single large cabinet to install, we carried the closet to the storage unit in my truck and just pulled the trailer forward enough to expose the door so the closet could be carried straight in.

There is a little more electrical to finish, but the next big task will be to work on the rest of the plumbing, both the below floor and kitchen sink drain lines and the fresh water system forward of the bathroom, including installing the Fresh Water Tank and Water Pump and hot and cold water lines to them and the kitchen sink.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of other little things still to do, but I am concentrating on the "big tasks" for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charger and battery Installed.jpg
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	313095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Closet Partially Installed.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	313096  

Name:	Trailer Only Partially Out of the Storage Unit.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	313097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Tank Set on Place (not attached).jpg
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	313098  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 06-05-2018, 06:17 AM   #238
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Joe, the fit of the closet bulkheads look great. Don’t know how many patterns I’ll go through before I get a goof fit. Beautiful work. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You gotta hire your friend Bob! He is a big help. It must be very satisfying seeing all these painstakingly restored cabinets going back into the trailer. They look new as you insisted they must.

David
Old 06-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I've been very busy the last couple of days. In some cases I did not take appropriate photos. In other cases they are not too exciting, so the photos are hit or miss to accompany this post.

CUSHIONS: Lorrie and I temporarily installed the front gaucho cushions and found some issues. When we then examined the bedroom gaucho cushions, some of the same issues existed, so both were taken back to the foam shop for adjustment. We should get them back early next week.

CABINETS: I completed the reattachment of the front closet. I got three coats of Polyurethane on the kitchen base cabinet, so it is ready to be reinstalled. All cabinets have now been repaired, stripped, and poly'd. Woodwork is basically done except for re-installation. Some items may need to be tweaked a little to fit during the re-installation process.

ELECTRICAL: I tidied up the battery cable routings under the front gaucho a little bit and completed the connections to one 120V outlet in a closet wall and both ceiling fans (including reinstalling their trim rings). The rear ceiling fan was changed from the original 120V only model to a vintage 12V only model out of a 1966 Airstream. The front fan is original and dual voltage. All installed electrical now works (charger, all three fans, and most lights and 120V outlets), but there are more electrical items yet to install (water pump, water heater, furnace, one more light, more 12V power outlets, etc.).

PLUMBING: I got the plumbing vent pipe reinstalled in the rear closet and caulked were it exits thru the roof. I reinstalled all the trim around the black tank cover. It is the trim that mostly holds the cover in place (along with gravity). I installed a new lever arm in the toilet flush linkage to replace the original pot metal arm that had disintegrated, so the toilet is ready to be reinstalled, but it has not gone back in yet. Today my friend Bob helped again and we developed a solid plan for the remaining freshwater and above floor drain lines in the bedroom and kitchen areas. We did a massive shopping trip to Home Depot and started the installation, but daylight ran out before we got it all installed. The fresh tank, water pump, and accumulator are partially bolted in, but no hard lines have been run yet, though we have a plan for all of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Fan Reinstalled.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	313389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Fan Reinstalled.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	313390  

Name:	Plumbving Vent.jpg