Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
My last post actually skipped the project that has occupied the majority of my time over the last few weeks . . a "heart transplant". Actually, the installation of a modern Atwood Hydro-Flame 7920 furnace completely inside the original case of the recall and explosion prone International Oil Burner 1525 Furnace.

This will completely hide the new furnace behind the original interior (below the stove) and exterior covers (photos attached). However, it required quite a bit of thinking, test fitting dozens of times, and engineering to figure out how to make it work. This task is still in process.

First I had to disassemble the original furnace and figure out what could be reused and what needed to be modified. I will not outline all the steps, but I had to cut the old heat exchanger, so that I could reuse it's outer surface to seal the furnace to the trailer skin. I then had to make closeout panels to close off the old openings before cutting a new opening for the the new furnace exhaust.

I also had to fabricate a new duct that would go inside the old furnace case so that the forward facing outlet on the new furnace could exit the old furnace case using the original hole to align with the original duct.

To be continued in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace Transplant - Before Interior View.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	566.8 KB
ID:	300086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace Transplant - Before Exterior View.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	300087  

Name:	Original Furnace Interior Cover Below Stove.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	300088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Furnace Exterior Cover.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	300089  

Name:	Original Heat Exchanger Cut.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	300090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeouts for Original Heat Exchanger Holes.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	300091  

Name:	New Furnace Exhaust Thru Old Heat Exchanger Panel.jpg
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	300092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Handmade Internal Duct for Forward Vent.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	300093  

Name:	Handmade Internal Duct for Forward Vent - Exit.jpg
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	300094   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Duct Exits Thru Old Hole.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	300095  

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Continuing . . .
The rearward facing outlet of the new furnace could not be configured to use the existing rearward facing duct hole in the old furnace case, because there was only enough room for one internal duct, so the rear facing hole was converted to a fresh air return, aligning pretty well with the location specified in the Atwood Hydro-Flame installation instructions. A new exit hole will soon be cut and a new external duct will be fabricated to connect to the in-floor duct that runs to the rear of the trailer. I'll post photos of those steps when they are complete.

This thread is now "up to date". Signing off until next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Furnace and Duct Inside Old Case.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	300097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Reward Duct Opening Converted to Fresh Air Return and New Duct Exit Yet to be Cut.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	300098  

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
As a few of my AirForums friends know, I am overdue to make an announcement . . .

Last weekend I bought a surviving Airstream from the Around the World Caravan, #6768, a 1962 22’ Safari. I picked it up near St. Louis, MO and pulled it back home to Michigan.

This Airstream is in rough, but amazingly original condition. It seems it sat in the woods for about 10 years before being hauled out last year after trees were cut to extract it.

The skin has a few dents and scrapes, but not too bad overall. All of the original appliances are still there (although untested), as are all of the original cabinets (with some water damage near the floor, but not too bad). There is one hole through the floor and quite a bit of mouse poo to be cleaned out. The only modifications I have identified so far are:
  • One roof vent was missing and one was replaced by a galvanized steel cap
  • Replacement rectangular tail lamps were fitted to it a long time ago (they don’t work).
  • Carefree awnings had been added to the street side and rear window a long time ago. They are now “toast”.
Best of all, the trailer has a list of countries visited on the front curb side corner as well as stickers from some of the countries visited on the ATW caravan on the inside of the door within a door.

Here are a few photos taken before pulling it home . . .
I asked PeeWee (Dale) on facebooky if he knew of this trailer, he said he did some. He was in the Army during that tour though. " I have extensive documentation and letters regarding the tour. For individual trailers I have little knowledge, but I have some knowledge of this Airstream. I first saw the trailer in 2009 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Then my friend Joe P. purchased it from the person that had it at the Cape."

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I have extensive documentation and letters regarding the tour. For individual trailers I have little knowledge, but I have some knowledge of this Airstream. I first saw the trailer in 2009 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Then my friend Joe P. purchased it from the person that had it at the Cape."
This Around the World Airstream was not in Cape Girardeau in 2009. That was a different ATWC trailer, a 28' Ambassador bearing the WBCCI number 6472. The interesting tie in, though, was that the then owner of 6472, a guy named Bob, was the person that alerted me to the craigslist ad for this trailer. He was a big help in getting the deal completed, which took several weeks because of title issues. Bob eventually sold 6472, and it is now in Ohio being restored by it's current owner.

I too have a sizable collection of Around the World Caravan information, but would be interested to learn what you have in case you have something I don't.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Since I'm online tonight, I might as well post the latest photos of the furnace transplant. I worked out the internal bracing to secure the new furnace inside the old furnace case, then cut the new hole for the rear facing duct. I started to experiment with how to connect to the existing in-floor duct going to the rear of the trailer. The attached photo is just a first attempt mock-up in my garage. I really need to test fit the furnace back in the trailer to determine exactly how it'll all connect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Furnace Inside Old Furnace With New Rear Duct Hole.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	300292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Experimenting on Connection to In-Floor Duct.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	300293  

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: I stumbled on to this thread thinking it might be about 66 Overlanders judging your user name. I used to own a 66 Trade Wind and now have a 75 Overlander. I enjoy the vintage Airstream hobby.

Thank you so much for building this restoration thread of "Cramer", the 62 Safari. It reflects all the trials and tribulations of rebuilding one of these old trailers, especially how life gets in the way. We often say reassembly takes multiple times longer than the disassembly.

My 75 Overlander has rear end separation and needs some frame repair and modifications requiring a mobile welder. I am installing new holding tanks causing a relocation of cross members. I hope my frame repair project goes as well as yours.

David
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Thanks David. Our first Airstream was a 1966 Overlander and I joined AirForums when we owned it.

Yes, reassembly goes slower, especially because I am reengineering things like tanks and electrical and water heater and furnace, etc, etc, etc. I probably spend more time studying and deciding what to do than the actual doing. I say everything takes me 10x longer than I initially think it should. That's ok, I only want to do it once.

WBCCI/VAC #6768