Time for a little update since it's been weeks since I provided a status update on #6768. There has been a reason for the silence - I have been using most of my free time most weekends to get the trailer weather tight before winter strikes. Accomplishments include:
1. The tongue and rear bumber have been painted. The silver is a bit too bright and will be top coated with something more subdued next year, but at least there is no exposed rust anymore.
2. New gaskets have been installed on the door, door-within-a-door, fridge access door, and the couple of windows that leaked the worst. The rest of the windows may have to wait until next year. I cannot get the rear storage compartment door open to replace it's gasket. I am not sure I have the proper key. I may have to hire a locksmith to open it next year.
3. Seams have been caulked. I took care of almost all seams except between the end cap segments. I have also caulked around the roof vents and plumbing vents as well as top and side of the windows, access doors, etc. I had to replace the outside 110VAC outlet and the box within the wall that contained it so that I could seal around it. The old box had disintegrated to the point that the outlet cover could not be screwed down tight.
4. A new umbilical cord was installed to get the tail lights and interior 12V
content working. All of the 12V
lights that have bulbs work, same for the 110VAC lights that have bulbs. I didn't have time to chase down bulbs for the fixtures that were missing bulbs. The both roof vents and the bath vent work on 110VAC and two of the three work on 12V
. The air pump that pressurizes water tank runs on 12V although I do not know if the tank holds pressure. Overall it seems that most of the electrical stuff works.
5. New reproduction tail lights have been installed to replace the non-original replacements that were put on decades ago when proper replacements were not available.
6. The rear window and patio awnings have been removed. They were both shot and the trailer looks more correct to its ATW condition without them. Also, the door can now be opened all the way and latched in the open position. The old front arm of the patio awning previously prevented this.
7. Through it all a lot of Olympic rivets have been installed to plug old screw and rivet holes. Maybe next year I can borrow a rivet shaver to make them look better, but at least they help seal the trailer up for now.
8. I also patched one hole in the skin at the lower front corner of the front streetside window that surely was the major leak point that lead to a hole rotting in the floor just below it. The damage was caused by a major rub with some inanimate object a long time ago. It peeled the top layer of skin back at a seam. The previous repair of a layer of aluminum tape was not doing anything except funneling water into the hole in the skin. I had to rivet an aluminum patch over the hole using a generous dose of Vulkem to keep it sealed for a long time to come.
That was a lot to get done in a limited number of September to November weekends. The weather probably won't allow any more weekends that will be warm enough for caulking the remaining few seams and replacing the remaining window gaskets, so exterior work is done for the year.
I will attached a few current photos to this message just to illustrate the progress to date and the current condition.