Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Arkansas Airstream

Greetings Airstream family. I am currently camping at the Bull Shoals White River state park
In Arkansas. As I live in Arkansas I have been here many times it's the best state park ever. Last week there were five Airstreams camping here! One 2007, mine a 2008 and three that were 1978 or some where about that time. Two have the the state Arkansas in red letters across the side. Both campers letters are the same size and style. Has there ever been a Airstream model Arkansas? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Not sure if there has ever been a AS Arkansas but I do agree Arkansas is a GREAT place to camp. We lived in North La. in the 80's and did all of our camping with the kids in Ark. Devil's Den and Petit Jean are our favorite SP's. We have retirement property out of Clinton and hope to call it home in a few years. Have never been to Bull Shoals SP but plan to do it soon...Steve

Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h70man View Post
Greetings Airstream family. I am currently camping at the Bull Shoals White River state park
In Arkansas. As I live in Arkansas I have been here many times it's the best state park ever. Last week there were five Airstreams camping here! One 2007, mine a 2008 and three that were 1978 or some where about that time. Two have the the state Arkansas in red letters across the side. Both campers letters are the same size and style. Has there ever been a Airstream model Arkansas? Thanks for any help.
I do not believe that there ever was an "Arkansas" model of Airstream. I have seen many Airstreams from the late 1960's to 1980's that had state names in large letters on each side - typically on the body side molding/stripes. I have seen many different states listed this way. My best guess is that at one time in the Wally Byam Caravan Club (WBCCI) it was popular to put your home state on the sides of your Airstream - probably got a few conversations stated at the International Rally and other large events, especially when far away from home. Maybe the factory reps at the International Rally even did this for members (possibly for a fee), because the letter sizing and location is pretty consistent.

Now speaking of WBCCI International Rallies, the first one was held in Bull Shoals in 1958. In 2008 there was a 50th anniversary event there and supposedly a plaque commemorating that anniversary was placed there somewhere. I have never been there, so I don't know where it is actually located, though. I wonder if you can find it.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Now speaking of WBCCI International Rallies, the first one was held in Bull Shoals in 1958. In 2008 there was a 50th anniversary event there and supposedly a plaque commemorating that anniversary was placed there somewhere. I have never been there, so I don't know where it is actually located, though. I wonder if you can find it.
Sounds like a great idea for a Airstream Geocache! Have to put it on our list of "local" (week-end drivable) places to check out!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by h70man View Post
We were there in June for a couple of days... loved the park, by far the nicest state park I've seen and enjoyed the stay with one exception.... that sewer plant across the river that the state put in to service the park and its constant mechanical hum really lessens the entire experience in what is otherwise one of the nicest parks I've seen in any state.

I sent an email to the State Parks folks in Arkansas, because in that it is their sewer pump station, you would think they could have done a better job of sound remediation in that setting. Im sure nothing will come of it because Im sure that Arkansas State Parks just like so many in the country are underfunded, but it really transforms a very bucolic, lovely river park and not in a good way.

The upside is that the 52 degree temperatures in the mornings that we were there were awesome. Just wish it wasn't an 11 hour drive from Dallas.

But glad you enjoyed it. When we pulled in, we pulled in right behind another AS that had just arrived, and when we greeted each other like long lost cousins in the registration office, the park host turned to the first guy who arrived and said "I thought you said you weren't together." I laughed and said, "It's an Airstream thing."

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
We were there in June for a couple of days... loved the park, by far the nicest state park I've seen and enjoyed the stay with one exception.... that sewer plant across the river that the state put in to service the park and its constant mechanical hum really lessens the entire experience in what is otherwise one of the nicest parks I've seen in any state.

I sent an email to the State Parks folks in Arkansas, because in that it is their sewer pump station, you would think they could have done a better job of sound remediation in that setting. Im sure nothing will come of it because Im sure that Arkansas State Parks just like so many in the country are underfunded, but it really transforms a very bucolic, lovely river park and not in a good way.

The upside is that the 52 degree temperatures in the mornings that we were there were awesome. Just wish it wasn't an 11 hour drive from Dallas.

But glad you enjoyed it. When we pulled in, we pulled in right behind another AS that had just arrived, and when we greeted each other like long lost cousins in the registration office, the park host turned to the first guy who arrived and said "I thought you said you weren't together." I laughed and said, "It's an Airstream thing."

Dana
Having raised a family in Dallas, I know exactly where you live.

While Bull Shoals is a nice State Park in AR, you didn't mention that you had been to others in the state. As mentioned in other posts on this thread, Petit Jean and Devil's Den are GREAT! And there's Lake Catherine State Park (a bit noisey if you're on the water).

All three of these parks have full service and are quite a bit closer than BS. And, by the way, unlike many other states who are genuinely underfunded, AR floated, and passed a general bond issue years ago, which funds the state park system.

Me? I'll take an Arkansas State Park any time, over one in my nearby state.

If you haven't tried PJ and DD, you really don't know what you're missing.

Happy trails!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Having raised a family in Dallas, I know exactly where you live.

While Bull Shoals is a nice State Park in AR, you didn't mention that you had been to others in the state. As mentioned in other posts on this thread, Petit Jean and Devil's Den are GREAT! And there's Lake Catherine State Park (a bit noisey if you're on the water).

All three of these parks have full service and are quite a bit closer than BS. And, by the way, unlike many other states who are genuinely underfunded, AR floated, and passed a general bond issue years ago, which funds the state park system.

Me? I'll take an Arkansas State Park any time, over one in my nearby state.

If you haven't tried PJ and DD, you really don't know what you're missing.

Happy trails!

We spent two nights at Lake Catherine and while it is a nice park, we didn't stay on the water because the noise issue there with the power generation plant is about 50 times worse than BS. I would have loved to have had a decibel meter with me because on the water, it probably was the equivalent of sitting next to runway with a regional jet revving up.

We will probably go back to Arkansas at some point because our oldest maybe moving to Nashville so Arkansas would be halfway.

We crossed the dam on Lake DeGrey i think it is..... thinking about trying that in the fall because its just about 4 hours from our house....

But we definately loved the hills and trees and river at BS.....

Dana
Old 07-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Having grown up in Arkansas, I've been all over and have always been very pleased with their state park system. We go to Petit Jean every year, and they just remodeled and reopened the Lodge and it's beautiful up there.

I've also been told Arkansas balances their budget every year, they don't operate on a deficit. Maybe that's one of the reasons they can keep up their campgrounds so well. They seem to have been going through and remodeling a lot of their campgrounds and facilities.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Will have to look up Petit Jean as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Having grown up in Arkansas, I've been all over and have always been very pleased with their state park system. We go to Petit Jean every year, and they just remodeled and reopened the Lodge and it's beautiful up there.

I've also been told Arkansas balances their budget every year, they don't operate on a deficit. Maybe that's one of the reasons they can keep up their campgrounds so well. They seem to have been going through and remodeling a lot of their campgrounds and facilities.
AR passed a parks and recreation bond issue several years back.

AND believe it or not, they actually spent that money on parks and recreation! ;-)

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post

We crossed the dam on Lake DeGrey i think it is..... thinking about trying that in the fall because its just about 4 hours from our house....

One thing for fall consideration at DeGray, they have a nice lunch buffet on Thanksgiving day. It's popular with the locals.

A few years ago my (then) girlfriend, her daughter, and I stayed at the lodge, had the Thanksgiving dinner, and did the bald eagle boat tour of the lake after lunch. Great family style time.

We spent the next day at Hot Springs before returning to Little Rock.

All in all, a nice part of the state.

As far as the original post goes, there have been similar threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...3ft-63746.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...8-a-86431.html

As I mentioned in those threads, my Excella has the ghost of letters saying "TEXAS" faded into the blue stripe. Roman style (like Times New Roman) all caps. Very faint, though, only a few letters on each side.

Also, if there were to be an Arkansas version, I think it should have maroon lettering like the awnings on some of the Classics. That way it would match the "proper" Airstream colors. Even more important, UALR's colors are maroon and silver, so it would match them, not like the red and white of that school up in the NW corner of the state.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wasn't Bull Shoals where the first International Rally was held?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Wow thanks to all who have taken time to reply!
I did discover as one post pointed out, the Arkansas
On the side of the Airstreams was indeed
A club thing! Seems years ago members
Of the Arkansas Airstream club added
It to there campers for pride of their
State and club. I must say they did it with
Good taste, to me it looked like a factory
Application. Yes having lived in Arkansas
For 30 years now , we too have enjoyed
Many of the mentioned State Parks. Arkansas
Is doing a wonderful job maintaining
And up dating the state Parks. Last year
Voters approved an .8 of a cent tax just
For park improvements! It adds up fast
And going to good work. Trout fishing is fantastic !
I have caught some quality fish both wade
Fishing, and in my little inflatable . All
I can suggest is make it a priority to visit
This wonderful park, you will not be disappointed !!
Happy trails!!