Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A very famous Airstream

See attached - enjoy !! Finally ready for more adventures on the road ! This is my first pass at a story board I plan to have made for this Airstream

Ken J.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream 50 history.pdf (166.7 KB, 1638 views)
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Good stuff.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Great history Ken , thanks for the update on this Airstream.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Hi Ken, I would love to hear about how you established the history of this Airstream. We're there ghosts of #50 on it when you found it?

How did you find out so much on Louis Mousley?

And finally what do you know about the dual axle Airstream the Mousley's took on the African Caravan? Their African Airstream did have dual axles and was, I beleive, 22' in length, but it had a totally different window configuration from any other known World Traveler, and it was built in California, while all known World Travelers except one were built in Ohio.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
When I bought the trailer one of the first things I did was polish it - I know that's a bit backwards - but it's way more fun to work on a pretty trailer - what appeared was ghost number 50 and the ghost caravan sticker - I thought hmmm low number - so then I got to searching around and all of a sudden I see this same trailer in lots of old pictures and further research found it belonged to Louis and Mildred Mousley - talked to Pee Wee about it and he knew them well and told me a lot about them - also did some internet research - also talked to Fred Colwell about it and he mentioned it's probably a more significant trailer than the African trailers because of who owned it and where it's been. Also because of the June 1957 National Geographic article. It's amazing where these trailers show up - in this case a storage barn in Amarillo Tx - I've owned it since 2012 and finally have it finished enough to take on the road - it's waaaay more fun being in a trailer than it is being underneath it - hopefully my back, knees and aluminum cuts on hands and legs will heal

You asked about the World Traveler - I've seen pictures of the their trailer - and just assumed it was a World Traveler because of the length and 2 axles - maybe you could tell me more about it -

Ken J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	258175  
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
And what it looks like today
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	315
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	258176  
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Interior pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	294
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	258177  
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
iPad is only allowing one picture at a time -
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	317
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	258178  
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Great Airstream; great story!

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
World's Oldest Existing Airstream

Tim Heinz (Heintz Designs Vintage Trailer Restorations) wrote: <<Heading to Amarillo Texas to deliver the Worlds Oldest Existing Airstream (1935) to the Jack Sisemore RV Museum!>>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.08.59 AM.png
Views:	218
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	258194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 10.11.13 AM.png
Views:	282
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	258195  

"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
– Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Great job, I'm so glad you're documenting the history of #50! Fascinating!

And I didn't realize the Torpedo had changed hands. Kind of cool it is ending up in a museum. Maybe I'll get to see it someday.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
Tim Heinz (Heintz Designs Vintage Trailer Restorations) wrote: <<Heading to Amarillo Texas to deliver the Worlds Oldest Existing Airstream (1935) to the Jack Sisemore RV Museum!>>
Now you can see where they got the basic design idea for the Base Camp…….sot of anyway…...
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
55 - yes I did see that - I had been wondering what it's future would be after the doctor and passed away - I did get to see it when they were coming through Durango a number of years back - very cool !!! I'm glad it's ended up in a museum - especially one that is not too far from me - we should do a vintage rally there when they get it set up ! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Now you can see where they got the basic design idea for the Base Camp…….sot of anyway…...

On a side note Lewster has helped me a lot over the last several years in its restoration - he is a genius when it comes to this stuff - he made me upgrade all the wiring marine grade and the most exciting thing is we installed a danforth 12v fridge !

Ken J

Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Hi Ken,

What a great find! Great looking too from your "after" pix .... back to "as new" look!

That's also a great story write-up you've got, but based on you OP, I'll offer some story board suggestions from a graphic design perspective, having done innumerable presentations since the `70's as an Architect/Designer. Your pdf document is a great start, but I find the very large & bold text overwhelming to view, & takes away from the too few pix which are there.

I'm assuming that your storyboard(s) are for vintage trailer rallies & car shows, etc. - where you're trying to tell your story to a range of viewers - from the "quick look" visual "show me some pix" types, to the detail oriented who will want to read about every little detail.

So plan your display size on what you realistically think you can reasonably store, transport & put up on display - probably 1 - 4 boards of 24" x 36" to 36" x 48" sizes - depending on what's available to you locally (BTW - the all plastic boards will be more durable + waterproof, than the standard paper-faced "foam core" boards).

It may also be helpful to you for flexibility, to have it modular, such that you can tell the story with 1-2 board(s), or an expanded story with 3-4 when space at the event allows.

Next, plan on doing more pix than text, & bring the font size down on the text so it requires less room. Along those lines, think about editing down the text for the boards to the minimum to tell the overall story, then be free to write up an extended story which you can put into a nice 3-ring binder to leave put for the few super detail oriented readers - but still with lots of pix (put the pages 2-sided into plastic sleeves for longevity & to keep them clean.

Then print out pix & blocks of text & cut them out to play around with aesthetically pleasing layouts for the boards, then you can use 3M "Spraymount" or "Photomount" spray adhesive to adhere them in their final positions (they won't color change the pix nor fade/yellow) - rather than trying to compose it all digitally, because you need to see it at actual size & be able to step back & move around to different viewing angles, which you can't do on-screen.

Also, look at the boards while squinting to get unfocused form the details & pix themselves, & see the overall composition of the blocks for what looks good. Make the board(s) stand on their own as a graphic composition of blocks - as well as the best pix & text size for readability, but note that the detail types will come in close to read the text, while the pretty pix lookers will usually stand back 3-5' or more - so size both appropriately, & be careful not to have the text overwhelm the pix by being either too big nor too bold. Text being bold & big-ish size is okay, as long as it looks in balance with the pix & overall composition, but the relative size in your pdf is too big & too bold.

Your current font is pretty good for readability, but you may want to play around with some other Sans Serif "plain" fonts to see if you like the "look" better, &/or to match the period Airstream sales brochures' & print ads' fonts. You might want to look at "Microgramma" or one of it's cousins as a "Mid-Century Modern" era popular font, as well as "Helvetica" - both of which come in various standard, condensed & extended faces, as well as bold, demi-bold, etc. - as will many other fonts - so play around with them. For more choices, there are font software fairluy inexpensive at the computer & office supply stores for not too much, that work with most word processing software.

Our 1960 Avion T20 is #2 off the line of that model, so I plan to do some storyboards for it too, as well as a basic name plate with vinyl stick-on letters on a sheet of aluminum which can stay out on the A-frame/LP tanks in all weather - which you may want to do also. I'll be using red vinyl in a similar font to the big red Travelcade numbers for a "theme."

You probably know our Avion's P.O.'s - Guy & Terry Lagerway, their restorer Larry & our resto guy Uwe Salwender (his 30' AS got crashed by a balloon a few years back), from your ABQ Balloon Fest days!

We hope to make it back to one of the ABQ vintage events after we get our own TV here soon (the rentals won't allow us to go out of state, so we're currently looking for an `08-12 Porsche Cayenne S).

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Whoa - thanks for the suggestions ! This is my first pass, and I did it rather quick - so I'll look over your ideas and re-do when I do a final board.

Yes! Guy and Terry, Larry and Uwe are all friends - know them all well - and I know your trailer well - its a good one and I know Guy and Terri had a wonderful time and did some really nice work on that trailer. Wow #2 off the line is really cool! Bet they did not know that.. I still run the balloon fiesta rally -

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Spectacular!! Bravo to all !!
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
When I bought the trailer one of the first things I did was polish it - I know that's a bit backwards - but it's way more fun to work on a pretty trailer - what appeared was ghost number 50 and the ghost caravan sticker - I thought hmmm low number - so then I got to searching around and all of a sudden I see this same trailer in lots of old pictures and further research found it belonged to Louis and Mildred Mousley - talked to Pee Wee about it and he knew them well and told me a lot about them - also did some internet research - also talked to Fred Colwell about it and he mentioned it's probably a more significant trailer than the African trailers because of who owned it and where it's been. Also because of the June 1957 National Geographic article. It's amazing where these trailers show up - in this case a storage barn in Amarillo Tx - I've owned it since 2012 and finally have it finished enough to take on the road - it's waaaay more fun being in a trailer than it is being underneath it - hopefully my back, knees and aluminum cuts on hands and legs will heal

You asked about the World Traveler - I've seen pictures of the their trailer - and just assumed it was a World Traveler because of the length and 2 axles - maybe you could tell me more about it -

Ken J
Thanks Ken,
Can you still make out the #50? Faint ghosting would go a long way toward continuing to demonstrate the history of this trailer. Did you get or find anything in the trailer that ties it to the Mousley's other than third party photos? I have about 440 photos of the 1956 European Caravan and your trailer definitely shows up in several of them. Email me if you want to see some of them.

You may know this, but only a couple weeks before your announcement, your trailer showed up in a photo in the most recent WBCCI News & Views email newsletter leading the 1956 European Caravan, with Wally's white trailer right behind it.

Regarding the Mousley's Africa trailer, it is a mystery that I don't currently know much about, but would love to solve. I can account for all of the World Travelers built in Ohio except for one or two. There was one previously unknown California built WT that was discovered a few years ago. The Mousley's Africa trailer has significant differences from all known WTs. Maybe it is another undocumented but unique WT, maybe not. I was hoping you had some info about it
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes you can see the faint 50 very clear - I would love to see any pictures you might have - I do have the one I think it's in Belgum with Wally's white trailer behind it - I have had that picture a long time so it makes me think I may have pictures you do not - sorry to lead you astray on Mousleys African trailer - I suspect since he was so close to Wally and Airstream it was custom made for him - I am also aware of an early 60's Overlander that has his number so I suspect he did not keep the African trailer very long ? Or maybe he just had use of it for that trip - makes me wonder what barn that trailer is hiding in - I do plan a trip out to Ca to the Mousley museum and see if I can find anything else -

Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #20
Airstream newcomer

1969 31' Sovereign
Spokane , Washington
A little history note

I've been meaning for some time to post an Airstream historical note that might be of interest to others. In the Photos tab of this forum, under Vintage/History Photos there is a picture of three gentlemen with an Airstream trailer. Two of the gentlemen are turned away from the camera looking at the third gentleman who is exiting the Airstream. The gentleman exiting the trailer is Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia.
traileritus is offline   Reply With Quote