Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
1959 African Caravan Utility Vehicle

When the fuel powered vehicles are unloaded off the passenger freighter, African Enterprise, it is necessary to push them to a fuel source.

All flamable materials are removed at the point of disembarkation.

Here is a picture of the vehicle waiting to be moved to the fuel location.

Your drive to the Brooklyn Dock on the right hand side, you take pocession of your vehicle on the left hand side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0142 scout truck 600 dpi.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	75905  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Was it a far push? Two of you actually lived in that little thing for nine months? That looks about as big as a prison cell. I bet the views were better though. Pee Wee, do you know what happened to those trucks after the caravan?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Go to other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Was it a far push? Two of you actually lived in that little thing for nine months? That looks about as big as a prison cell. I bet the views were better though. Pee Wee, do you know what happened to those trucks after the caravan?
I found this picture after I did my other posting. If you go to the history group and look under Aux Vehicles. It will tell you more about the vehicle
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Amazing little Airstream camper. Do you have any more pictures of this little gem? I saw in one of your PDFs an interior picture of the bunk. Are there any others? It would be great if this turned up in someone's barn after all of these years.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Limited pictures of Scout and Mechanic Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Amazing little Airstream camper. Do you have any more pictures of this little gem? I saw in one of your PDFs an interior picture of the bunk. Are there any others? It would be great if this turned up in someone's barn after all of these years.

Brad
FF
Brad,

There may be a few more pictures. I have one of the dock workers pushing the vehicle. I have only the one interior picture of the "home life"

Pee Wee
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Please, Pee Wee, more scout truck photos... Hey are you getting ready to go on a caravan through Washington DC? When we find you the right rig, you will be able to paint that on your trailer too...

Name:   Wally.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  21.1 KB
I imagine you would have quite the list to say the least.

Please more scout truck photos please.

PS This is my desk top now, Thank you.

Name:	Torpedo plan.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	75935
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
I'm likin this thread so far. Hope it lives for a while. Thanks Peewee
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Once again, thanks for sharing this history - pretty remarkable
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Questions from Inquiring minds...

PeeWee, Was the camper made specifically to fit the truck frame by Airstream to use as a scout vehicle? Did Wally design it? I know the interior demensions were tight but I bet you guys had a Blast of a time on such great adventures. Especially as the scout vehicle (out front and exploring) looking for river crossings and the best roads (when you could find roads)!!! I am very glad that you are willing to share your experiences with all of us. Again, Thank You so much. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Trucking through darkest, deepest Africa in 1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
PeeWee, Was the camper made specifically to fit the truck frame by Airstream to use as a scout vehicle? Did Wally design it? I know the interior demensions were tight but I bet you guys had a Blast of a time on such great adventures. Especially as the scout vehicle (out front and exploring) looking for river crossings and the best roads (when you could find roads)!!! I am very glad that you are willing to share your experiences with all of us. Again, Thank You so much. Ed
Ed,

The shell was made to fit on the Chevy frame. Wally probably had an imput, maybe many do-this-and-thats. My Mother's two trailers, at Wally's direction, were custom Airstreams made in Jackson Center, under the direction of Andy Charles (President) with specifications from Wally.

I am quite sure that the same took place for the two aux vehicles. Andy Charles had a vested interest, considering, his 17 year old son was going on the Caravan.

Nick and I had fun. But the entire African Caravan was fun. The Caravanners had fun even with hardships. We saw and did things that will never be duplicated.

Ed, thanks for asking.

Pee Wee
Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Massage on the Torpedo picture

I took the picute of my holding the print, and cleared it up a tad. Hopefull this will present the basic print in a "different light."

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Airstream Torpedo 1930's (4).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	75961  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am going to build one Pee Wee. In honor of Wally and old Doc that kept those plans hidden all these years.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Scout Truck So-so Pictures

Not the greatest pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 dvd - airstream world (739).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	75973   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 dvd - airstream world (775).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	75974  

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Great Stuff!!!

PeeWee, I can't tell you enough how great it is to have someone on the forums with all the personal knowledge and background information that you have. It must have been the experience of a lifetime to have gone on the carravans and traveled to all those exotic ports and countries. It is a real shame that the world has grown so much crueler and meaner than it was in these more innocent times. These types of adventures probably can never really be done to that extent anymore or over again. It is very risky just to travel abroad as an America these days and would likely not be worth the dangers involved today to try many of the things that the old caravans were able to do. I see the hardships of those trips to be part of that great adventure and I am happy that you are here to help us see what it really was like back then. Great stuff as I said in the header. Thanks so much! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Not trying to be argumentative, but man has always been cruel. Just open your history books and read between the lines. It is filled with brutality and cruelty beyond imagination. Often it was given wonderful sounding names such as Manifest Destiny, The Crusades, The Cultural Revolution, The Conquest, or the Empire. Holy Empire was even thrown in a few times for good measure. My point is that man has always been a cruel animal, it is just that in our times we are exposed to it much more. We have a greater awareness when it takes place.

Part of what made the caravan from South Africa all the way to Egypt so incredible was the danger. Pee Wee may disagree, but he had no clue what he was getting into. I also doubt Wally fully knew what he was sending him into. That unknown has been lost. We now can look at any spot on the planet from our home computers. Virtually everything has been mapped and explored at this point. And that is what has changed. The 1959 caravan was a spectacular adventure to say the very least. I am envious that I could never have such an experience myself.

It could be done again and should have been done in 2009. Adventurous people do it often. It has been done on bicycle and has been done on foot by quite a few now. My take on Wally was that he was a self appointed ambassador of good will. Good will is powerful tool. It is almost as strong as positive thinking and determination. I am more than a little disappointed that the 2009 caravan was canceled. If I had the funds, I would be doing it with or without the support of the WBCCI or Airstream. I have more fear of loosing my life driving to work than loosing my life to the hands of someone who perceives all Americans as evil. Now if anyone out there wants to grant me the funding, I would be glad to take my trailer and my family into the mouth of the lion.

Sorry to highjack the thread Pee Wee. I hope more photos of the scout vehicle appear from that wonderful filing cabinet of yours. I especially like the sepia one you just posted.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A little off subject but, now that a 4 wheel drive version of the Dodge Sprinter is available one could take the shorty truck and convert it into an off road on road Airstream Interstate. That would be coooool! jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
PeeWee,
You may have covered this before, but where did you all stop for gas and propane (or was it butane then)? Did everybody have auxiliary tanks and extra jerry cans? I don't imagine there were too many service stations on this caravan to get your winsheilds wsashed and oil checked.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
I just knew there had to be some great stories involved with the outfront, scout vehicles. Thanks everyone for building this thread and jogging PeeWee's memories.
I too love that shot of the S.V. under the Shade of the tree. It kinda says, Ahh! a place to rest, to me.
PeeWee thank you for the additional pictures, and congratulations on your 500th post. I for one am hoping there are many more. For certain no other member of this forum has had so much interesting Airstream history to share in only 500 postings. Air Karma To Ya. Keep up the great stuff, and thanks again.

Silverhawk, Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Fill-her-up Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
PeeWee,
You may have covered this before, but where did you all stop for gas and propane (or was it butane then)? Did everybody have auxiliary tanks and extra jerry cans? I don't imagine there were too many service stations on this caravan to get your winsheilds wsashed and oil checked.
All of our vehicles were gasoline. We purchased gasoline from stations, tanker trucks and 55-gallon barrels. Many Caravanners had aux gas tanks. The scout and mechanic vehicles had a standard 30-gallon tank, and two 50 gallon aux tanks. 130 gallons is a "bunch" of gasoline.

Away from the cities and civilization we had pre-arranged rendevous with Mobil, Shell etc.

Propane/butane was whenever and wherever. Also pre-arranged meetings.

Caravanners had extra this and that including jerry cans for extra fuel.

A bucket, a rag, a ladder, a long reach and everyone had their own clean window.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
2009 Bad Mo Jo in Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, but man has always been cruel. Just open your history books and read between the lines. It is filled with brutality and cruelty beyond imagination. Often it was given wonderful sounding names such as Manifest Destiny, The Crusades, The Cultural Revolution, The Conquest, or the Empire. Holy Empire was even thrown in a few times for good measure. My point is that man has always been a cruel animal, it is just that in our times we are exposed to it much more. We have a greater awareness when it takes place.

Part of what made the caravan from South Africa all the way to Egypt so incredible was the danger. Pee Wee may disagree, but he had no clue what he was getting into. I also doubt Wally fully knew what he was sending him into. That unknown has been lost. We now can look at any spot on the planet from our home computers. Virtually everything has been mapped and explored at this point. And that is what has changed. The 1959 caravan was a spectacular adventure to say the very least. I am envious that I could never have such an experience myself.

It could be done again and should have been done in 2009. Adventurous people do it often. It has been done on bicycle and has been done on foot by quite a few now. My take on Wally was that he was a self appointed ambassador of good will. Good will is powerful tool. It is almost as strong as positive thinking and determination. I am more than a little disappointed that the 2009 caravan was canceled. If I had the funds, I would be doing it with or without the support of the WBCCI or Airstream. I have more fear of loosing my life driving to work than loosing my life to the hands of someone who perceives all Americans as evil. Now if anyone out there wants to grant me the funding, I would be glad to take my trailer and my family into the mouth of the lion.

Sorry to highjack the thread Pee Wee. I hope more photos of the scout vehicle appear from that wonderful filing cabinet of yours. I especially like the sepia one you just posted.
Frank,

This is campfire fun talk. The 1959 trip to Africa was less threating, and today a similar trip has hazards so perplexing that you need a good lawyer and a sound will and testament before you leave the United States.

Pee Wee

Tags