Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #57
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
...Overland to Norway?? Really??

PeeWee ~

Back to the fascinating story on these unique vehicles. In referencing the plaque on the side of the Scout Vehicle, it says "Africa Near East (Bible Lands) Europe" as well as "South Africa Overland to Norway" but I've not heard any mention of if the vehicle ever went to Europe after the Capetown to Cairo African caravan. This may have been the intent but did it ever happen? Also, I've not heard whatever happened to either of these vehicles. Maybe you aren't aware of where they went.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaravanPlaque.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	77278  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Scout and Mechanics Trucks, the final miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
PeeWee ~

Back to the fascinating story on these unique vehicles. In referencing the plaque on the side of the Scout Vehicle, it says "Africa Near East (Bible Lands) Europe" as well as "South Africa Overland to Norway" but I've not heard any mention of if the vehicle ever went to Europe after the Capetown to Cairo African caravan. This may have been the intent but did it ever happen? Also, I've not heard whatever happened to either of these vehicles. Maybe you aren't aware of where they went.

Brad
FF
Wally was advised that after leaving predominately Christian nations, that having the "Bible Land" on the side of his tow vehicle, and the two Aux units wouldn't be prudent. So they were repainted on each side with the "Near East."

I am not sure if the units ever made it to Norway, but the Scout Truck and Mechanics vehicles did make it to Europe.

We shipped the vehicles from Alexandria, Egypt to Beruit Lebanon and the traveled to Trieste, Italy and met the 1960 European Caravan. My Mother met me with my Dad's car. We left and took three weeks to see parts of Europe that we enjoyed. We stayed in Paris for one week, Wally was supposed to meet us, but didn't. But we still had a nice stay.

When we crossed the Bosphrus from Asiatic Turkey to Istanbul, we entered Europe. We drove through Turkey, Geece, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and arrived in Itlay.

At the time my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, and I left Nick Charles continued on with the Caravan driving the Scout Truck. Arthur Ruiz continued on as the mechanic with his vehicle.

When they were shipped home, I have no idea.

I did use the Scout truck to scout the 1961 Eastern Canadian trip prior to the group taking off. I left Eastern Canada, went to the 1961 Hersey International Rally, then returned to California. That summer I worked on the production line at the Airstream Facility (Santa Fe Springs, CA).

The last time I saw the Mechanics Truck was Italy, and the lsst time I saw the Scout Truck was the end of the summer 0f 1961.

What depostion was made of them, I have no idea. But my uise of the vehicel was fun while it lasted.

Pee Wee

Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #59
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you PeeWee, as always, for your information and your recounting of historic caravans of the past. So for clarification, the last time you saw the scout truck was here in the states? You said you left eastern Canada, went to the 1961 Int'l in Hershey and then returned to California. Was this in the scout truck? Was the truck registered in CA with a CA plate?

This just keeps getting better.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Keep on truckin' keep of scoutin'

Quote:
Thank you PeeWee, as always, for your information and your recounting of historic caravans of the past. So for clarification, the last time you saw the scout truck was here in the states? You said you left eastern Canada, went to the 1961 Int'l in Hershey and then returned to California. Was this in the scout truck? Was the truck registered in CA with a CA plate?

This just keeps getting better.

Brad
FF
Brad,

The last time I saw the Scout Truck was at the Airstream factory in Santa Fe Springs, CA. This was at the end of the summer before I went back to the University of Oregon. It was my cubby hole while I worked on the line, after retruning with the Scout Truck from the East. (Acutally I hadn't seen the Scout Truck until the summer of 1961, after leaving it in Trieste, Italy with Nick Charles and the 1960 European Caravan.)

The Scout Truck was registered in 1961 with State of California, DMV.

Pee Wee
Old 03-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #61
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like Brad is looking for a truly unique TV for his 59 Trade Wind.

How cool would that be?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Man, my secret's out. It would make a great tow vehicle. Very cool stuff.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Your the MAN Pee Wee.. Keep em comin buddy!! Thanks alot... Ralph
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #64
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Brad is playing the real History Detective if you ask me. I think the scout truck has him very captivated indeed. I could think of worst things to be captivated by.

Name:	iran.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	77304
I am captivated by this one. Someday I hope to have it towing my Overlander. At present I will make due with my 2001 Dodge. She is being detailed this week, for I will have a dignitary riding with me on a caravan.

Well Brad, now we know the trucks made it back to the States. Next we need to find in which state they currently reside.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #65
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another Option

Frank is quite correct. I like the red and beige coloring over the dark blue but either would be a fantastic tow vehicle. Don't think there were many of these made though let alone them still being around.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wally's IH.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	77305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wally's IH2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	77306  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Red facsimile truck

Quote:
Frank is quite correct. I like the red and beige coloring over the dark blue but either would be a fantastic tow vehicle. Don't think there were many of these made though let alone them still being around.

Brad
FF
This red fire engine is interesting. The only IH that had writing on the side was Wally's, we had no decals for any of the vehicles.

This is a very inventive truck/Airstream owner duplicating Wally's gold IH.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Another page to the story. I am riveted. keep those memories flowing, PeeWee. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:

Brad
FF
Are those pictures from the time that this truck was owned by the Auburn Trailer Collection in New Castle, CA?

I have a print out from when that truck and the associated 1959 Overlander trailer behind it were for sale or were sold on the Tin Can Tourists web site in March 2007. The trailer was $6000, the truck was "inquire".

Unfortunately the Tin Can Tourist ad never made it clear if the trailer was from the Capetown to Cairo Caravan (no WBCCI numbers were visible), nor for that matter did it even make it clear if the truck was original or just a well detailed copy.

Do you have more information about this truck and trailer?
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Ghastlly Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Are those pictures from the time that this truck was owned by the Auburn Trailer Collection in New Castle, CA?

I have a print out from when that truck and the associated 1959 Overlander trailer behind it were for sale or were sold on the Tin Can Tourists web site in March 2007. The trailer was $6000, the truck was "inquire".

Unfortunately the Tin Can Tourist ad never made it clear if the trailer was from the Capetown to Cairo Caravan (no WBCCI numbers were visible), nor for that matter did it even make it clear if the truck was original or just a well detailed copy.

Do you have more information about this truck and trailer?
We had no red truck like the one in the picture.

The only truck that had the writing on the side was Wally's and it was gold tone to go with Stella's Gold trailer. The Scout Truck and the Mechanic's Truck had the same writing on each side that Wally had on his truck.

We absolutely had no decals on any of the trucks as shown in the pictures.

The truck may have gone to Africa, who knows.

Color and round decal definitely did not go to Africa.

The truck type and the utility box type are typical of what Wally used, but the red paint...aargh!

Personally if you want memories of the too many IH's that went to Africa go to a junk yard and find some snapped axles, and spider gears. The IH's only bring back bad memories of lousy engineering.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #70
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is indeed the set-up that was for sale through Vince's associate as part of the Auburn Trailer Collection and was out of the bay area a few years back. I just loved the fact that someone would take the time and effort to duplicate Wally's truck. Only now I hear from an undisputed authority that there never was a red truck. I realize, the IH left alot to be desired on rough roads and long trips but they're still cool looking. However, I'd still take the Chevy scout truck any day of the week.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.

Tags