Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Not trying to be argumentative, but man has always been cruel. Just open your history books and read between the lines. It is filled with brutality and cruelty beyond imagination. Often it was given wonderful sounding names such as Manifest Destiny, The Crusades, The Cultural Revolution, The Conquest, or the Empire. Holy Empire was even thrown in a few times for good measure. My point is that man has always been a cruel animal, it is just that in our times we are exposed to it much more. We have a greater awareness when it takes place.

Part of what made the caravan from South Africa all the way to Egypt so incredible was the danger. Pee Wee may disagree, but he had no clue what he was getting into. I also doubt Wally fully knew what he was sending him into. That unknown has been lost. We now can look at any spot on the planet from our home computers. Virtually everything has been mapped and explored at this point. And that is what has changed. The 1959 caravan was a spectacular adventure to say the very least. I am envious that I could never have such an experience myself.

It could be done again and should have been done in 2009. Adventurous people do it often. It has been done on bicycle and has been done on foot by quite a few now. My take on Wally was that he was a self appointed ambassador of good will. Good will is powerful tool. It is almost as strong as positive thinking and determination. I am more than a little disappointed that the 2009 caravan was canceled. If I had the funds, I would be doing it with or without the support of the WBCCI or Airstream. I have more fear of loosing my life driving to work than loosing my life to the hands of someone who perceives all Americans as evil. Now if anyone out there wants to grant me the funding, I would be glad to take my trailer and my family into the mouth of the lion.

Sorry to highjack the thread Pee Wee. I hope more photos of the scout vehicle appear from that wonderful filing cabinet of yours. I especially like the sepia one you just posted.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
A little off subject but, now that a 4 wheel drive version of the Dodge Sprinter is available one could take the shorty truck and convert it into an off road on road Airstream Interstate. That would be coooool! jim

Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
PeeWee,
You may have covered this before, but where did you all stop for gas and propane (or was it butane then)? Did everybody have auxiliary tanks and extra jerry cans? I don't imagine there were too many service stations on this caravan to get your winsheilds wsashed and oil checked.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
I just knew there had to be some great stories involved with the outfront, scout vehicles. Thanks everyone for building this thread and jogging PeeWee's memories.
I too love that shot of the S.V. under the Shade of the tree. It kinda says, Ahh! a place to rest, to me.
PeeWee thank you for the additional pictures, and congratulations on your 500th post. I for one am hoping there are many more. For certain no other member of this forum has had so much interesting Airstream history to share in only 500 postings. Air Karma To Ya. Keep up the great stuff, and thanks again.

Silverhawk, Bob
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Fill-her-up Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
PeeWee,
You may have covered this before, but where did you all stop for gas and propane (or was it butane then)? Did everybody have auxiliary tanks and extra jerry cans? I don't imagine there were too many service stations on this caravan to get your winsheilds wsashed and oil checked.
All of our vehicles were gasoline. We purchased gasoline from stations, tanker trucks and 55-gallon barrels. Many Caravanners had aux gas tanks. The scout and mechanic vehicles had a standard 30-gallon tank, and two 50 gallon aux tanks. 130 gallons is a "bunch" of gasoline.

Away from the cities and civilization we had pre-arranged rendevous with Mobil, Shell etc.

Propane/butane was whenever and wherever. Also pre-arranged meetings.

Caravanners had extra this and that including jerry cans for extra fuel.

A bucket, a rag, a ladder, a long reach and everyone had their own clean window.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
2009 Bad Mo Jo in Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, but man has always been cruel. Just open your history books and read between the lines. It is filled with brutality and cruelty beyond imagination. Often it was given wonderful sounding names such as Manifest Destiny, The Crusades, The Cultural Revolution, The Conquest, or the Empire. Holy Empire was even thrown in a few times for good measure. My point is that man has always been a cruel animal, it is just that in our times we are exposed to it much more. We have a greater awareness when it takes place.

Part of what made the caravan from South Africa all the way to Egypt so incredible was the danger. Pee Wee may disagree, but he had no clue what he was getting into. I also doubt Wally fully knew what he was sending him into. That unknown has been lost. We now can look at any spot on the planet from our home computers. Virtually everything has been mapped and explored at this point. And that is what has changed. The 1959 caravan was a spectacular adventure to say the very least. I am envious that I could never have such an experience myself.

It could be done again and should have been done in 2009. Adventurous people do it often. It has been done on bicycle and has been done on foot by quite a few now. My take on Wally was that he was a self appointed ambassador of good will. Good will is powerful tool. It is almost as strong as positive thinking and determination. I am more than a little disappointed that the 2009 caravan was canceled. If I had the funds, I would be doing it with or without the support of the WBCCI or Airstream. I have more fear of loosing my life driving to work than loosing my life to the hands of someone who perceives all Americans as evil. Now if anyone out there wants to grant me the funding, I would be glad to take my trailer and my family into the mouth of the lion.

Sorry to highjack the thread Pee Wee. I hope more photos of the scout vehicle appear from that wonderful filing cabinet of yours. I especially like the sepia one you just posted.
Frank,

This is campfire fun talk. The 1959 trip to Africa was less threating, and today a similar trip has hazards so perplexing that you need a good lawyer and a sound will and testament before you leave the United States.

Pee Wee
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
A lot has happened and a lot has changed in the last 50 years in this globe of ours. I, too, would have loved to have been part of this great adventure in the times it took place. Alas, this is not to be but I can live vicariously through PeeWee's storytelling, accounts and pictures. Keep 'em coming PeeWee. They are most enlightening and enjoyable.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Smile

Thats for sure Brad! I too would love to go, but chances are as slim as us getting one back on the moon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	as.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	75989
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
Thats for sure Brad! I too would love to go, but chances are as slim as us getting one back on the moon.
Attachment 75989
JC Control.... Caravan Base Here! The Airstream Has Landed!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
JC Control.... Caravan Base Here! The Airstream Has Landed!
In these troubled economic times it woulbe be more likely...

"Jackson Center...We have a problem"
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Hmmm... The first Airstream moho was also the only Airstream Class C made! AND it went on the African caravan. That thing would be worth a mint!
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Hmmm... The first Airstream moho was also the only Airstream Class C made! AND it went on the African caravan. That thing would be worth a mint!
I have memories of a test unit. It was in the 60's at the Santa Fe Springs, CA plant.

They had a Japanese mid-size truck. The Airstream was a small unit. The mating devise was tubular prongs on the truck mating with female openings on the trailer.

That's all I remember. Like many projects, tried, reviewed and discarded. In the "earlier years," Airstream was content to market the Airstream trailer only.

Pee Wee
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Definitely The First, But Not The Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Journalist,
I will have to review my back issues of Airstream Life, but I think I remember there was an article on a prototype class C that was built, got sold, and is out there in the public. I will try to locate the information and post tonight after I get home. But you are right the first one went on the African Caravan.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Not a Class C, a camper maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Journalist,
I will have to review my back issues of Airstream Life, but I think I remember there was an article on a prototype class C that was built, got sold, and is out there in the public. I will try to locate the information and post tonight after I get home. But you are right the first one went on the African Caravan.
If anything my Scout truck was a camper, not a Class "C". There was no entrance from the cab to the living quarters. Only the rear door, typical of campers.

You can stretch the fact that from campers came the Class "C".

Tags