Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
Fine metal shavings appear while travelling

We just completed an extended trip with our "new-to-us" 2008 16' International CCD. Each evening when we stopped after 300 to 400 miles we found fine metal shavings on the floor and in the shower/toilet -- about 1 to 2 tablespoons total collectively when we swept them up. We have no clue about where they are originating. Have any of you had this problem, or can you offer any speculations or advice about how to check this out?

Thanks
bspelce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Are you sure it's aluminum?

Will a magnet pick them up?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We had the same problem just this week with our brand new Bambi. It looks like some of the lights overhead are working themselves out and are dropping the shavings. One light popped out and we had a heck of a time getting it back in. Don't know if it will stay or not.

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I think I can answer this and you may be shocked. During construction of your Airstream - as it's working down the line - all sorts of holes and fixtures are being cut and installed. They don't clean up after themselves. Behind all your cabinets and fixtures are the shavings and aluminum pieces. I removed the false floor to winterize my water pump and spent the better part of an hour removing circular aluminum scrap pieces that were the size of the halogen lights. They just dropped them on the floor and installed the sink cabinets. Once at a campsite my wife ws first inside and came out with 20 "nails" - they were the rivet stems. So, that would be my guess - just sloppy workers and no clean-up at the factory and the stuff just vibrates out when on the road.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I think I can answer this and you may be shocked. During construction of your Airstream - as it's working down the line - all sorts of holes and fixtures are being cut and installed. They don't clean up after themselves. Behind all your cabinets and fixtures are the shavings and aluminum pieces. I removed the false floor to winterize my water pump and spent the better part of an hour removing circular aluminum scrap pieces that were the size of the halogen lights. They just dropped them on the floor and installed the sink cabinets. Once at a campsite my wife ws first inside and came out with 20 "nails" - they were the rivet stems. So, that would be my guess - just sloppy workers and no clean-up at the factory and the stuff just vibrates out when on the road.
I'd agree with this. If it was aluminum powder, I'd be concerned, but filings, or "saw dust" shavings.....it's just not cleaning up after themselves. I, too, found all kinds of construction stuff all over.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
We had the same problem just this week with our brand new Bambi. It looks like some of the lights overhead are working themselves out and are dropping the shavings. One light popped out and we had a heck of a time getting it back in. Don't know if it will stay or not.

Contact the factory in writing with the serial number of your unit in the email or letter (IN WRITTING) to explain the issue - there are warrenty concerns about the dates of issues starting with your unit. Photogragh everything - off topic for this post but for you I would document EVERYTHING.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I just had one of the Banana wraps ( I think that is what you call the painted alum. panels that wrap under the lower edge of the trailer) completely detach itself at the inboard edge due to the pop rivets corroding away.

This happened while the trailer was sitting in storage.

When I went out to re-rivet it last week, using larget rivets, I was amazed at all kinds of garbage that dropped out.

This particular panel was under our shower and bits of drain pipe, bits of flooring material, unused rivets, all kinds of rubbish fell out! I guess it wasn't doing any real harm in there but still doesn't give much of an impression of high quality workmanship in my mind.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Removed spent rivet stems from underneath linoleum! Metal shavings found in numerous locations.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i wonder if all the falling debris is related to any tire failures?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'd agree with this. If it was aluminum powder, I'd be concerned, but filings, or "saw dust" shavings.....it's just not cleaning up after themselves. I, too, found all kinds of construction stuff all over.

I concur with dznf0g and clancy_boy, it sounds like the usual construction debris. After 6 years, I'm still finding stuff. On a positive note, AS has installed Shop Vacs at some of the work stations. Some employees at the AS factory (supervisory types) told me this when I was there this summer.

Regarding the aluminum dust: that indicates interior panels rubbing against each other at the seams when the trailer flexes while being towed. I noticed this when dark spots began appearing on the 'mouse fur' that lines the interior walls. I contacted AS (in writing - good advice from clancy_boy) about this when the trailer was still under warranty. Airstream replied that they would correct this, but I would have to return the trailer to the factory. I was too busy at the time, so I've learned to live with the spots by covering them with little glow-in-the dark stars. When the lights go out, it's a virtual galaxy.

Fortunately, so far... despite all that flexing and vibration from driving all over this beautiful country, on some really rough roads, I've only had one rivet pop. It was in the door, the only thing that doesn't really flex.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Looks like no-ones been checked out on that new shop-vac they so proudly displayed at Alunypalooza this year!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Round Rock , Texas
Thanks for the information, and you are right -- I don't like it at all, but I think we are just experiencing the uncleaned up shop droppings many of you mentioned.

However -- we still love our "little airstream". Like Valmog we are sure that 16' is just the right size for us! Valmog, your blog and photo diary are outstanding.
bspelce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 international