Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Your Top 5 Galley "must-haves"

Hi! My husband, Ron, and I have just purchased our first AS. In outfitting it for full-timing for at least a year, I'm wondering what the Top 5 Galley must have's are for you folks. Being a professionally trained chef - I have gadgets out the gazoo and I know I'm going to have to pare them down considerably! Our AS is a 2011 27FB International with a 3-burner cooktop and oven and garden variety microwave (not convection). I've never worked with a propane appliance either...so - what is YOUR list and tips for this chef to take on the road?

Thank you for your invaluable input!

Chef Karis, new AS mom
AirKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
For me? My wife. I need nothing else.

Your going to have to retrain yourself to use individual tools for as many tasks as possible. The one thing we learned is that dirt and crud comes from all directions when traveling down the road. We try to keep utensials at least covered with a cloth or better yet in a container when traveling.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I agree. We took more than we should our first year and have retrained ourselves to make-do with less. We bag kitchen tools to keep them clean and use paper plates, spoons & forks, etc.
jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Hi Kari's,

I am not much of a cook, but nevertheless, these are my top five galley items: percolator (or other coffee maker- we have both electric and stovetop models), cast iron skillet (we cook lots over a campfire, and everything seems to taste better from the skillet), various-sized nesting stainless pots and small baking sheet that will fit in our small oven, favorite spices (we use rice to keep them clump-free in our humid environment), and a variety of utensils(knives, can opener, corkscrew, etc.). As you can, our needs are simple!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
A good espresso machine is at the top of my list but I stopped taking a grinder. We cook outside unless it is raining and use a camp stove and an electric skillet. We have a 4-burner cooktop and convection microwave but seldom use them. It keeps cooking smells out of the AS And feels more like camping. I also meet more of my neighbors while cooking.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Top 5 huh?

Coffe grinder - manual. Match it with a stove top percolator. Anytime you Earn a good cup, it tastes great.
Small Dutch oven for the stove top.
Cast iron skillet and a matching round griddle. Makes great stove top biscuits.
Meat thermometer
An explorer sense of trying to cook a good meal with just the basics.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Your Top 5 Galley "must have's"

Greetings Karis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKar View Post
Hi! My husband, Ron, and I have just purchased our first AS. In outfitting it for full-timing for at least a year, I'm wondering what the Top 5 Galley must have's are for you folks. Being a professionally trained chef - I have gadgets out the gazoo and I know I'm going to have to pare them down considerably! Our AS is a 2011 27FB International with a 3-burner cooktop and oven and garden variety microwave (not convection). I've never worked with a propane appliance either...so - what is YOUR list and tips for this chef to take on the road?

Thank you for your invaluable input!

Chef Karis, new AS mom
I think that the answer to your question involves a couple of issues. First, what type of traveling your plan. Second, whether the bulk of your cooking will involve the facilities in the trailer or exterior facilities such as campfire or grill. I tend to rally and caravan on a regular basis so I am often preparing something for potlucks or evening social hours. The following are my 5 must haves:
  1. 8-Quart Cast Iron (or very heavy cast aluminum) Dutch Oven. I have several recipes that have been staples of my pot-luck contributions since the days of rallys with 3-amp electric when cooking in the trailer wasn't practical. My caution would be to be sure that you understand the necessary "seasoning" of the cast iron pot and its care once properly seasoned. I keep on in each of my Airstreams and find that I use it at least once on every trip.
  2. 8-Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot. While this is a very cumbersome item to pack, it is something that I utilize on nearly every trip. It comes in handy to make soups, stews, and pasta . . . and at least once each season, I use it to prepare the custard for my home-made French Vanilla Ice Cream (I carry a hand crank ice cream freezers on those select trips).
  3. Manual Kitchen helpers. I like to have a heavy-duty hand-cranked can opener, hand-cranked egg beater, large and medium whisks, and citrus fruit juicer.
  4. Stove-top Coffee Maker. While there aren't any coffee drinkers in my coach, I like to have the beverage to offer to visitors so I carry a stove-top Revere Ware Percolator in my Minuet and a Stove-top Revere Ware Drip Coffee Maker in the Overlander.
  5. Six Quart Crock Pot. I enjoy cooking in a crock pot so I carry one in each of my Airstreams. The one in the Overlander is particularly handy as it can be used while underway with the Solar Panel supported inverter providing power.
Good luck with your outfitting project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A "cook"...my lovely Bride of course!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
1. Coffee grinder (burr)
2. Bodum French press
3. my good knives and a steel
4. my cast iron pans and dutch oven (also my le Creuset pots and casseroles).
5. my baking sheets

As long as I have coffee, good pots and knives I can cover most situations.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Real glass wine glasses...life's too short to drink wine from plastic! We pack them in the original six-pack container they came in and haven't broken one yet.

Good knives and a sharpening steel.

Collapsible bowls for mixing and storage
Instant read thermometer
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
These are great ideas with some issues I hadn't thought of (like dust, etc. creeping in to the interior) - oh do I have MUCH to learn.

First on my list is definitely a coffee maker of some type - I loved my stovetop Bialetti when I lived in Italy and think it will be my first purchase. With it will come my coffee grinder - along with a second spice grinder (I make all of my own salt-free blends).

I have a Le Creuset (8 qt) Dutch Oven that I love - I was concerned that it would be too big and heavy; however, it will make a good storage space for smaller items when it's not in use.

I love to roast veggies, but I'm concerned about the propane usage - so might have to switch to more grilling outside and adjust accordingly - but will plan on a small cookie sheet for that and, well, cookies!

I'll leave the Professional KitchenAid in storage and probably opt for beaters and my stick blender.

I'm not sure whether I can part with my brand new masticating juicer.

I'll leave my professional food processor in storage and take my small 25-year old $5.00 garage sale Oster!

Skillets for the stovetop or electric skillet? My mom, who has a showcase gourmet kitchen in her home, still swears by (and uses regularly) her 20-year old electric skillet!

Any suggestions for a portable grill? We'll have to stow it in our tow vehicle, no doubt. My SIL suggested the table-top Weber. Any thoughts?

I'm learning already that FLEX is going to have to be my middle name - on MANY levels in this new lifestyle change.

Please keep your ideas coming - I'm making notes as I go!

Karis
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I recommend you spend some time getting to know the propane stove and oven. The propane lasts a long time when you aren't using the furnace. When I lived in my trailer the two thirty pound tanks lasted several weeks with daily use of the stove and oven. By all means bring the le Creuset, it'll be handy for roasting, stews, even baking bread.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Good news about the propane Cameront. Not a big chance of using the furnace until we start heading north!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
#1. 2 8" cast iron skillets
#2. Percolator
#3. Ceramic kitchen and paring knives
#4. Wash basin (I have a single sink)
#5. Small crock pot.
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Your Top 5 Galley "must have's"

Greetings Karis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKar View Post
Any suggestions for a portable grill? We'll have to stow it in our tow vehicle, no doubt. My SIL suggested the table-top Weber. Any thoughts?

I'm learning already that FLEX is going to have to be my middle name - on MANY levels in this new lifestyle change.

Please keep your ideas coming - I'm making notes as I go!

Karis
There are a number of favorite grills here on the Forums. Part of the puzzle is whether you want wood/charcoal for your fuel, or possibly LP Gas or Electric. My choice was an LP Gas model with an optional smoker tray. It is a Napoleon Freestyle Marine Grill with Infra-red element.

I did purchase one additional option with mine and that was the canvas carrying bag. I have owned the grill for nearly four years and am very pleased with its durability and performance.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
One of the things my wife and have grown to enjoy is discovering what is necessary and what is not, and it is different for everyone. We don't take a burr grinder because the one in the Airstream broke and we started grinding our coffee at home before a 7 day trip. If we were full timers I would take one. We usually are tired after a day of hiking, museums, checking out cultural events, etc, and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking. But, twenty years ago I cooked at least one gourmet meal on a 4 day backpacking trip, but I am much too old to do that now because of the added weight. You will enjoy your new journey as you discover what fits your lifestyle at this time in your life.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We carry a webber Q100? grill. If we pull the lid hinges and remove the top, it will fit into the rear storage compartment of our 'Stream, along with our 1.5 Gallon propane tank.

We love cooking on gas, it reacts very quickly and when combined with cast iron the cooking experience becomes predictable.

We use the gas oven a bunch also. Biscuits, pizza on a stone...crap - now I'm hungry again...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ditto on the Weber grill (Q200 in our case).

Small crock pot.

DeLonghi espresso machine.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post

We use the gas oven a bunch also. Biscuits, pizza on a stone...crap - now I'm hungry again...
Pizza stone would be my item 6
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
my5

Garlic press
Wine GLASS
Sharp knives
Spices/onions/garlic
Glass Tumblers for Manhattens