Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Ck bought on these, and I thought yeah, right.

But it turns out it works well and is handy to make all kinds of things easier.

No digging out a cutting board and finding space for it.
Attached Images

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Electric pizza oven!! Our new gadget we use at home and can't wait to take in on the road in our trailer is the Breville Pizza Oven from William-Sonoma. The best $150 we have spent for our kitchen in years. We have been making gourmet pizzas at home inside and on our grill but this trumps both. Crispy and fun. Only at William-Sonoma. Even bought one for both our son and daughter. Had my eye on this all summer but waited until a demo at the store and it was Awesome. We have even found that buying dough already made at Trader Joes is almost as good as homemade. We will plug it in outdoors of our the trailer to keep the heat outside. Works best is you bake it on parchment paper in the oven which looks like a waffle iron on steroids. Takes five minutes to bake total and we slide parchment paper out after first two minutes. Yumm!
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I see a pizza-focused Airstream rally. I have an idea for a steel pizza oven box thing for a fire pit. BTW, I make my own gluten free pizza dough.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I see a pizza-focused Airstream rally. I have an idea for a steel pizza oven box thing for a fire pit. BTW, I make my own gluten free pizza dough.
I like that idea. I wonder if a temporary, wood-burning brick oven could be built just for making pizzas? That might get even hotter than my BBQ!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #85
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
My can’t do without kitchen appliance is a Breville Smart Oven Air. Amazing pizza, Air frys perfectly fabulous sweet potatoes. Bakes, broils, roasts a 14 lb turkey, bakes pies, proofs dough, it is a wonderful addition to my Airstream kitchen. I make my own pizza dough roll out on parchment, put another parchment on top and roll up dough or fold up and freeze. Take out of freezer for 15 minutes unroll remove top parchment add toppings and cook. All my pie tins, muffin pans bread pans fit perfectly in the Breville too.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Everything in my trailer's cooking area is all about "how best to do this without electricity." such that I have the exact same toolset to use when boondocking, as when I am on "the grid."

The only "only on grid" item I have is the stock convection microwave oven -- but even then, I have an off-the-grid oven replacement I use more often than not for baking breads or pies, muffins or cookies - a MiniMax size Big Green Egg. Once brought up to heat, I can dial in and keep it at 350F for well over five hours and not have to muck with it much, or up to 750F for Happy Hour pizzas; and still be able to do a 200F smoke for fourteen hours on one lump of wood.

But for everything else, my number one tool is a solid and sharp knife set; (get a knife roll for transport between trailer and house.)

For coffee, it's a manual box grinder that will give me anything between espresso to french press grinds; a french press for the majority of my coffees, and a Rok hand espresso pump for if I want latte draws. Downside -- the Rok takes up space; and I am still unsure if it's worth keeping around.

"Joseph Joseph" has a solid collection of all-around collapsible or tight-storage kitchenware, from scales, to cutting boards, to graters, whisks, etc. -- the full collection would be on my top five list, as a single entity.

The final thing in my own list would be a collapsible tub to help with everything from catching peelings, to storing salads, to helping keep dishes in play before the rinse, to filling with hot water and soaking my feet later at night (wash and disinfect between uses :0 )....

So my top five:

1 - Big Green Egg MiniMax
2 - the best knife set you can afford (plus roll for transport)
3 - Manual coffee grinders and presses
4 - Everything with a Joseph Joseph label
5 - collapsible tub

Nice to be back to Airforums!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1948 19' Trailwind
1949 18' Trailwind
1957 16' Bubble
Salt Lake City , Utah
Take the Rok!

We currently camp in a tiny 12' Casita as we finish the rebuilds of our Bubble and Flying cloud (and then on to the 40's trailers). Even in that tiny space, we use the shallow cabinet area above the fridge in front of the chimney chase, to store the Rok espresso press and the Rok grinder. Yep, we love them both and take them both with us on every trip! There's just nothing like sharing really good espresso and cream in the morning and their cast aluminum industrial style fits perfectly in a cool old trailer.

So for my top kitchen items, I'd say:

1. Espresso station - Rok press and grinder
2. Ikea glass wine glasses - which travel in their box and are cheap to replace (we installed an upside-down rack on the bottom of the upper kitchen cabinet)
3. Collapsible salad spinner and lightweight stainless salad bowls - we eat a lot of salad.
4. 12" Dutch oven - gourmet cooking over coals is the best and no heat inside!
5. Quality knives with Ikea magnetic strip - saves space in drawers and we haven't had one pop off yet!

Then of course there's all the little things, but it would take a few pages to cover them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	304274   Click image for larger version

Name:	4487_original_rok_bundle.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	304275  

KellySLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
  • Ming pressure cooker
  • Cast Iron pans/pots that can be used on grill
  • Good high end knives
  • Good high end knife sharpener
  • Good high end coffee grinder
  • Aero Press/coffee
  • Good high end grill
  • Italian wine glasses, fruit juice size
  • Good high end thermometer
Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Off the grid - volcano stove - wok - various cast iron skillets - large Dutch oven - percolator: on the grid or generator- Anova Sous Vide - 6 quart Insta Pot - drip coffee maker -
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote