Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Im in Alaska nowFYI almost all the fishing towns and the airports in larger towns here have services for packaging and shipping fish. Many charters will also take care of it for you. Im at Anchorage airport now picking up a friend and I swear every fourth person entering the airport has a frozen fish box with them, either for shipping or for check-in.
Think I will take the 65qt. Yeti, and a 45qt. Yeti knockoff with me, use the AS freezer with dry ice, as you mentioned. Not really interested in bringing back any salmon...pretty cheap here in summer, even sockeye...will eat fresh salmon while we are up there fresh, and get the halibut and crab for trip back.

Not to get off topic, but Sounds like I need to rethink my route so getting the crab and halibut from ports close to end of our trip in Alaska. Any comments about where is best/cheapest places to get halibut and/or crab while up there?

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
. . .
. . . use the AS freezer with dry ice . . .
. . .
Not sure how airtight your AS is, but you do realize that dry ice releases CO2 as it "thaws," right?

"While generally not very toxic, the outgassing from it can cause hypercapnia (abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood) due to buildup in confined locations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice

Also the amount of gas being generated inside the freezer/fridge could affect the airtight seal of fridge door, and also the quality of other food stored in the fridge, like salad fixings etc. IMO.

"dry ice gas" mentions here: https://www.google.com/search?q=dry+...com&gws_rd=ssl

In one of the threads in those search results, the dry ice froze everything inside the fridge!

Peter

FYI/FWIW

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
in regards to Yeti, I own a 35, a 20 Roadie, and a Hopper Flip 18. All for different uses. Long trips is the 35, short trips and day shopper the 20 Roadie, pinics and over nights the Hopper. Cheaper ones on the market, so are SOB's, just depends on the quality you are looking for.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Not sure how airtight your AS is, but you do realize that dry ice releases CO2 as it "thaws," right?

"While generally not very toxic, the outgassing from it can cause hypercapnia (abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood) due to buildup in confined locations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice

Also the amount of gas being generated inside the freezer/fridge could affect the airtight seal of fridge door, and also the quality of other food stored in the fridge, like salad fixings etc. IMO.

"dry ice gas" mentions here: https://www.google.com/search?q=dry+...com&gws_rd=ssl

In one of the threads in those search results, the dry ice froze everything inside the fridge!

Peter

FYI/FWIW
Sorry to confuse...I meant I would use the AS freezer as is for some storage and to freeze the fish at first, and then move to cooler and put the dry ice in my coolers!
Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Im not sure where the best or cheapest is. All the southern port towns Ive visited (Homer, Seward, and Valdez) claim a sort of halibut supremacy in some way, shape or form. Homer bills itself as the halibut capital of the world (its on the city sign), Seward had the best halibut I ate (and Ive eaten a lot on this trip), and Valdez seems to have the most halibut fishing charters.

I think if you made your southern destinations your last ones (which makes sense given the way the Alcan routes) youd be good.

I have a crustacean allergy (started 5 years agoso sad!); I havent been paying attention to crab.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Im not sure where the best or cheapest is. All the southern port towns Ive visited (Homer, Seward, and Valdez) claim a sort of halibut supremacy in some way, shape or form. Homer bills itself as the halibut capital of the world (its on the city sign), Seward had the best halibut I ate (and Ive eaten a lot on this trip), and Valdez seems to have the most halibut fishing charters.

I think if you made your southern destinations your last ones (which makes sense given the way the Alcan routes) youd be good.

I have a crustacean allergy (started 5 years agoso sad!); I havent been paying attention to crab.
Thanks for the input; anyone else have comments/recommendations for crab? Is it worth trying to bring some back froze or not? If so where is best place to get it while in AK? $$
Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Halibut was $25 a pound at the packing plants in Homer last summer. There is a low limit on what a tourist can catch on the charter boats, 4 fish per season and 2 have to be under 20 inches. DNR keeps track very carefully. My 2 fish about paid for the charter at those prices. Vacuum packed dry iced, and shipped to someone at home is the common method. Eat all you can while you are there. The King crab on the wharf in Ancorage and in Homer was the food bargain on the trip.

I am learning to like my Yeti cooler as I use it more now, and am forgetting how much I paid. It does seem solidly built and drains well. It fits nicely alongside the Honda generator.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Echoing Post #11 from 2017 . . . with a plug for made-in-the-USA Pelican coolers. The mechanical latching system [vs. Yeti rubber bungee cords] makes the choice easy IMO.

Peter

[click on orange arrow in quote to go to see the full post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Both the Yeti and Pelican coolers perform better than the standard coolers, and you pay more for the performance. I believe that Yeti's are made in the Philippines, while Pelican coolers are made in the USA IMO. Some reviews prefer the latches on the Pelican line:

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Elite...pelican+cooler
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Halibut was $25 a pound at the packing plants in Homer last summer. There is a low limit on what a tourist can catch on the charter boats, 4 fish per season and 2 have to be under 20 inches. DNR keeps track very carefully. My 2 fish about paid for the charter at those prices. Vacuum packed dry iced, and shipped to someone at home is the common method. Eat all you can while you are there. The King crab on the wharf in Ancorage and in Homer was the food bargain on the trip.

I am learning to like my Yeti cooler as I use it more now, and am forgetting how much I paid. It does seem solidly built and drains well. It fits nicely alongside the Honda generator.
Thanks for the input. Fresh (??) Halibut was $16/pound yesterday at Costco in Helena...big difference to $25. Guess a fishing trip is the right way to go when we visit...$25/pound seems pretty high since they get it right there. I remember friends telling me they do a 2-3 day lodge fishing trip when up there and get a lot of Halibut..need to do some more exploration on this subject. Crab is the wife's favorite; then Halibut. Lots of time to gather more data.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Last summer most of the people went on the 6 pack boat trips. The water looked rough and I was feeling poorly in the back so I went to town instead. First stop in town I asked if I could go halibut fishing on a big, dry boat. She said is 60 feet big enough? I said yes. I think it was around $160 for the trip. Great, clean boat. We ran about 3 plus hours total in and out and fished less than an hour, that was long enough. 10 min, 2 fish in the locker, and I went in to eat my lunch and watch. Had them vacuuming packed in small packages and they mostly fit in the Airstream freezer minus the 4 lbs or so we ate at the cookout that night. The 6 pack fisherman were successful but some got sick. They caught bigger fish, I think.

With the big boats you can schedule a trip that leaves in the evening and comes in the next day. That way you can catch the 2 day limit on one trip. DNR seemed determined with the limit. On the boat we had to put our license number in, maybe drivers license, and send an email stating what we kept. You need to take your wife and kids with licenses if you want to keep a lot of fish. They might even have to hook the fish but you, lucky guy, can crank it in.

The lodge trips may be regulated different and it is different if you have a boat. But the charter boats have tight limlts.

Buying halibut at Homer prices is a loosing game. Maybe at one of the less tourist visited towns maybe, but I suspect that the way the commercial fishing is regulated keeps the demand greatly higher than the supply.

At the resturant/ fish market a fresh king crab and a king crab dinner were about the same price. Of course they are buying wholesale and selling retail whether they cook it or not. And I suspect it costs a lot to get a unfrozen crab to shore.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #91
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Bath , North Carolina
We own the medium size Yeti cooler, we are very satisfied with it in every way, but there are some Yeti clones out there that I have handled and seen that appear to be made out of the same material and at a significant cost savings. ex,. Orca. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV70DMA/?tag=becore-20