Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #821
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
You have a Viking in your Airstream!?!?!?

Oh my!

We have considered the Sous Vide because we eat a wide variety of steak, fish, chicken, pork, etc. and our butcher packs them in vacuum sealed bags. I also like the idea of cooked veggies in something like this. The reviews are great for normal home use, but "on the road" experience means so much more for Airstream use.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #822
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Oh no!

Hey there Hibby!

No, we don't have a Viking in the trailer! We have an induction cooktop at home and we also have a portable Viking induction burner that we bring with us, sometimes, when we take the trailer and we have access to electricity. We usually just grill or use the propane stove in the trailer. But if we're going to be at a campground with electricity for a few days, we'll bring it along.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #823
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Leftovers, again.

Murray was at a meeting last night, so Gemma had to fend for herself.

So she had a lamb shank and some potatoes that were dinner a few nights ago, and some left over curry vegetables that she froze from earlier in the month. Gussied up with flat leaf parsley from the garden. And yes, dinner involved rice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamb Shanks with Curry 022812.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	152286  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #824
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tonight, raspberry marinated chicken, smashed sweet potatoes, and "neon lights" swiss chard from the garden. Sorry no pictures, to busy dodging tornadoes, lightning bolts and hail! (seriously) Oh, and pumpkin roll w/ cream cheese filling for dessert.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #825
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
"Catch"ing Up Some More!

We had dinner at Waterbar with Gemma's mom on February 29th.

We started with Marin Miyagi oysters with a citrus mignonette at the bar. Oysters are $1 each until 6 PM every day! Then we had the house made potato chips with artichoke dip- sorry Murray took a bit of a swipe out of it before Gemma captured an image.

Dungeness crab stuffed artichokes with foie gras sauce and blood orange segments for all three of us in the dining room. Murray had the ribeye with white cheddar spaetzle, sauteed kale and crispy sweet potato curls. Gemma and her mom had the yellowtail with Dungeness crab sauce, chard stuff canelloni. We shared an order of profiteroles for dessert.

Images from the bar and from our table of the Bay Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marin Miyagi Oysters Waterbar 022912.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	152880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Potato Chips Artichoke Dip Waterbar 022912.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	152881  

Name:	Dungeness Crag Stuffed Artichoke Waterbar 022912.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	152882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribeye Spaetzle Crispy Sweet Potato Curls Waterbar 022912.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	152883  

Name:	Yellowtail Jack Crab Sauce Waterbar 022912.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	152884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterbar 022912.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	152885  

Name:	Waterbar at Night 022912.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	152886  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #826
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Hot Dog!

Have we mentioned how much we like hot dogs?

On March 1st we had sauteed red cabbage and apples with Ball Park beef hot dogs. We usually make this with kielbasa but we didn't have that at home, so hot dogs had to do.

Served with rice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red Cabbage with Hot Dogs 030112.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	152905  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #827
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
"Dinner" and a Movie

We went to the movies on March 2nd.

We picked up some Vietnamese sandwiches, banh mi, from Saigon Sandwich. Saigon Sandwich - Civic Center/Tenderloin - San Francisco, CA

We got the combination - roast pork, "fancy" pork and pate, with mayo, this amazing "secret" sauce/gravy made with the roast pork drippings, pickled carrot and daikon radish salad, cilantro and jalapeno pepper slices, (Gemma usually picks out the jalapenos, but sometimes misses one and it's always a surprise when she bites into it.) All of it served on a fresh crusty baguette toasted just seconds before. Four bucks! As great as the prices are, we always reminisce about when they were only $2.25, and that wasn't so long ago. But the rest of the city has discovered the tiny little sandwich shop and now there's always a line ten people deep when we go there. We always circumvent the line, by calling our order in and picking it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Banh Mi Saigon Sandwiches 030212.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	152906  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #828
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Raccoon.

Parboiled, then put in a slow cooker with wild brown rice, potatoes, carrots, fresh mushrooms, and a special vinegar/red wine based sauce created by my wife and me. It does not taste like chicken.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #829
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Images from the bar and from our table of the Bay Bridge.
Hey Gemma & Murray:

I know this is way off topic, but thanks for including pictures of the Bay Bridge. Brings back a lot of childhood memories as we crossed it, in passing, or in route to treasure island, to and from Oakland, SF....., well, just a blast from the past. Back on topic, for dinner; grilled meatloaf, mashed potatoes, & glazed carrots (bet you can guess what we had for dinner last night?)

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #830
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
The Most Expensive Sandwiches. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
We went to the movies on March 2nd.

We picked up some Vietnamese sandwiches, banh mi, from Saigon Sandwich. Saigon Sandwich - Civic Center/Tenderloin - San Francisco, CA

We got the combination - roast pork, "fancy" pork and pate, with mayo, this amazing "secret" sauce/gravy made with the roast pork drippings, pickled carrot and daikon radish salad, cilantro and jalapeno pepper slices, (Gemma usually picks out the jalapenos, but sometimes misses one and it's always a surprise when she bites into it.) All of it served on a fresh crusty baguette toasted just seconds before. Four bucks!

Remember those four dollar combination banh mi (sandwiches)? They became even more memorable yesterday, when we received a lovely little letter from the Metro Transit Authority informing us that we were being fined $255 for being parked in a bus zone. $255! But, no, get this - yes, we did see the meter "maid" and yes, we were in the bus zone, BUT we were in the car and we did move AND they never handed us a ticket, we didn't even know we were getting a ticket. They noted that we "drove" away - well, yes, because the meter maid seemed to be writing a ticket for the car parked behind us with an expired meter and thought we were "up" next.

That makes it $131.50 per sandwich. We think we just might Yelp this.

So, for your viewing enjoyment, a little video clip. Please forgive the four letter word used to describe "stuff". We apologize in advance if this offends anyone.

And, yes, we've actually said a lot of these things.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #831
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Sláinte

We're not Irish, but on March 17th, our house certainly smelled like we were.

Corned beef and cabbage for Saint Patrick's Day!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Corned Beef and Cabbage 031712.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	154102  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #832
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Easter Dinner?

No big fixin's here - am alone. A big pot of sweet and sour soup cabbage soup is simmering on the stove.

Canadians celebrate Easter dinner much like Americans. Many have a traditional turkey dinner. Some opt for ham and scalloped potatoes. A few have lamb.

I always thought the traditional turkey dinner was somewhat redundant for Easter, since the last time most families got together for a meal was Christmas. I have only cooked Easter dinner once or twice, but one year I did the turkey dinner with a lighter twist. Lots of salads and a variety of salsas to accompany the bird instead of mashed potatoes with gravy and cranberry sauce. Dessert was really different. I put a chocolate bunny into a single-serving fondue pot surrounded by cubed pound cake, bananas, pineapple, and strawberries. Then everyone lit their tea light and watched their bunny melt before dipping into the fondue. That was a real hit.

So....what's on your Easter-dinner menu tonight?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #833
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Exclamation My Child Mocks ME!

Hey Gemma & Murray:

Where are YOU? Running from impending flames? We've had a busy year. Lots of travel. "Burning" up a lot of "banked" vacation days, but isn't that what they are for?

OK, too many meals to cover, but here are some from the recent past (and a little background info, so indulge me!).

Not too long ago, my youngest daughter sent me an e-mail (w/ pictures) stating her "fantastic" attempt at making ratatouille for dinner, and posted it on facebook b/c she found "humor" in my posting's on Airforums. I thought it was great. However...., in that e-mail she mentioned "I've always thought it was strange & funny that you, dad, would post what you make for dinner on the internet....." (guess she just didn't understand - and forgive her she is only 20). Well, I countered w/ marinated grilled pork chops, grilled herb veggies from the garden rice pilaf and "craisins" in an apple boat" and a reduced dipping sauce. She said said she was a better cook and would counter my dinner w/ something better. Well I'm still waiting, however she is half-way through getting her BSRN (and taking a full course this summer), so I'm still waiting! While waiting, and just to taunt her, I made GRILLED bacon wrapped chicken breasts - stuffed with ham, pepper jack cheese and a little rosemary (FRESH from my private reserve here at the house!). Served with steamed fresh zucchini from the garden and a grilled baked potato with onion and garlic. Also had my own dipping sauce recipe of honey, BBQ sauce, Dijon mustard and secret ingredients! For dessert, from scratch - crock pot chocolate cake w/ vanilla ice cream drizzled with dark choc. syrup and topped with a fresh strawberry (oh, where is the scratch choc. cake...., uh...., um..., well it really didn't turn out. It really tasted nasty, ergo left it out). Well the pictures sort of loaded in reverse order - sorry.

Hate that the Pier 29 Embarcadero burned down. While growing up in CA, we went to the bay area from Sonoma, passed, stopped, played there, too many times. What a shame.

Regards, Terry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2451.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	162093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2497.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	162094  

Name:	DSCN2498.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	162095  
Attached Images

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #834
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
OK, for dinner tonight we had: "Turkey Carcass Soup"! What a comfort dinner on a night when our temps are dipping below freezing. Obviously, it wasn't a formal affair, we used our favorite Salvation Army soup bowls, and jelly glasses for milk.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3034.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	173292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3033.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	173293  

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #835
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Turkey Tetrazzini, our traditional, post-Thanksgiving turkey-user-upper.

6 cups Homemade white sauce, using lowfat milk and chicken or turkey stock
1box spaghetti, cooked
1lb sliced mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
3-4 cups cut up turkey
Couple of large handfuls freshly grated parmigiana reggiana

Mix some of the cheese in with pasta, mushrooms, turkey and sauce, rest on top. Bake 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Kids of all ages love this. Serve with a green veggie or salad.

(Turkey carcass soup is tomorrow night)

Maggie
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #836
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Comfort food

We enjoyed meatloaf - comfort food if there ever was one. We substituted steamed carrots for traditional mashed potatoes and added asparagus for color. Yum!

As we finished I thought that might be a good menu for winter camping. Perhaps we'll try that later.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #837
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
This thread needed to be bumped.

I know I post a lot of vegetarian stuff, but still like to out on a good BLT, chop, or rib, especially if it's done Southern style.

Sweet Tea is a big Southern thing - experimented with Sweet Tea Pork Chops. The Sweet Tea Sauce was really unique - I liked it a lot!

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know! It's a really easy recipe for the road.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #838
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Carla,

Let's swap recipes....

Be good...
Bob
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #839
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
You're messin' with one of our National icons.

"Kraft Dinner is considered a Canadian national dish. Canadians purchase 1.7 million of the 7 million boxes sold globally each week.They eat an average of 3.2 boxes of Kraft Dinner each year, 55% more than Americans. The meal is the most popular grocery item in the country, where 'Kraft Dinner' has iconic status and has become a generic trademark of sorts for macaroni and cheese. For most teenagers it is the first thing they learn to cook on their own, and becomes an easy and inexpensive food for young people living away from home for the first time. It is often simply referred to by its initials K.D. As it carries a different name in Canada than the United States and other markets, the Canadian marketing and advertising platform is a made-in-Canada effort as US advertising cannot be easily adapted.

Pundit Rex Murphy has written that 'Kraft Dinner revolves in that all-but-unobtainable orbit of the Tim Hortons doughnut and the A&W Teen Burger. It is one of that great trinity of quick digestibles that have been enrolled as genuine Canadian cultural icons.' Douglas Coupland has written that 'cheese plays a weirdly large dietary role in the lives of Canadians, who have a more intimate and intense relationship with Kraft food products than the citizens of any other country.'

Former Prime Minister Paul Martin regularly referred to it as his favourite food, though also confessed that he was unable to prepare it. During the same election current Prime Minister Stephen Harper stated that 'I'll never be able to give my kids a billion-dollar company, but Laureen and I are saving for their education. And I have actually cooked them Kraft Dinner — I like to add wieners.....'"
-Wiki

Quote:
Be good...
No!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #840
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud