Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Hi Zamboni,

You're a kindred spirit! I do all the cooking and grocery shopping for my family. I also do all the dishes. My husband makes tea for me and brings me a cup in bed every morning so I don't complain. He hates doing dishes and has no idea how to cook. Anyway, because I do all the cooking and I have a family of 4 to feed I do plan almost all our meals. I usually plan a week's worth of meals on the weekend. I shop on Monday because the kids are at school and there's a good farmer's market close by. Monday and Teusday I focus on meals that include fresh produce and meat, both perishable. Wednesday and Thursday are often vegetarian or feature frozen shrimp. Sometimes I'll incorporate some sort of leftover variation, like turning extra rice into fried rice. By Friday I've usually had it with all the cooking so I will rely on frozen pizza or something simple, like an omelette. By Sunday all the food is pretty much gone and I start all over. Oh, and I always leave a day or two open just in case we feel like going out or get an invitation to dinner at a relatives house. Like you I rotate meats every week. One day I'll make beef, on day chicken, one day vegetarian, one day fish or seafood etc. I make pasta at least once a week. I use the same system on camping trips and bring everything with me to make all the meals for the trip. If I don't I'm lost. I'm just not good at off the cuff cooking. So please don't feel weird. I might be overly organized, but I like knowing what I'm cooking every night. It makes me feel secure.

fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I can cook better than Angel theguy I take care of...we like seasoned chicken thighs grilled on the George forman grill, Mashed potatoes, brown gravy or stuffing and week we are stepping sideways to expierience how many things you can do to a salad and get a 'green' fast going...we ate at Burger king today and I begged the register girl to 'make sure the fries is fresh and hot...irregardless this fast food is in our opinion not up to par for the price and while eating 'processed food' floats in the air over our!

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Unfortunately for us, we go the left overs route. It seems that Amy and I are incapable of cooking for the two of us. Take New Years Eve for instance. What was originally going to be a simple 4 portion of lasagne in our loaf pan turned into a 9x13 terror of pasta sauce, sausage, and noodles that we have been eating on ever since. Sometimes we will have 3 different things in a row for dinner, but then lunches are left overs.

For those of you who know us, Amy and I love to cook..(Join us at a rally to believe it). We end up going to excess and feeding alot of other people in the play of it all.

Zambo...perhaps next time Amy goes hog wild on the lasagne you can venture in from Fenton.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
And I thought emptying the holding tanks after every trip was OCD!
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
Zamboni - You're not THAT weird. I'm about as opposite from OCD as you can get. So if I don't plan, I will be totally lost and run about frantically looking for something ot cook. I had to make myself get organized, and then that turned into a web business (of love - doesn't make any money) but it's fun. you can check it out at easypeas dot com

But anyway, since you all seem to be big food groupies, I'd like to invite you to my online column over at Airstream Life, "A Moveable Feast" where I am writing all about food and travel, and I welcome any ideas, comments, recipes, etc.

Steve - I'm afraid we're like you. It's just the two of us, so when I decide to make a pot of soup or chili, I usually eat the frozen leftovers for lunch for 2 or 3 weeks. My solution lately has been to cook 2 meals a week. They provide us with enough leftovers for the rest of the week plus Saturday out and one night of frozen pizza.

Jill and Eric
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
Overlander Underground (Travel and Restoration Blog)
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
ok, tonite, we decided not to do any cooking..we just got back w'our friends at Home Town Buffet..all you can eat, no dishes to wash for a change
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Spaghetti squash with curried veggies...and a baked apple! YUMMM
Officer says ..."Step AWAY from the toaster Ma'am"
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
What's for dinner tonight?

If there's enough for 2 - Leftover Indian curry!!!! Or leftover BBQ!!!
Or maybe my favorite occasional dinner - A 'breakfast' of 3 or 4 eggs fried over medium, tons of slices of fresh tomatos, crisp thick cut bacon, hashbrowns, muffins and Judi's home made wild grape jelly, all with a cup(s) of HEB's Texas Pecan Coffee - my favorite of all choices.

If none of the above works - Reservations.
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Organization and LIFE

This is a philosophical quandry.

To me, the difference between being organized and being OCD is how it affects your life and your family's life.

Organized - accomplishes things: you save money, you save time, you save frustration and it enhances the quality of your life and your family's. It frees you to pursue goals, grow personally and/or professionally.

OCD - is a never achievable goal. "Ve Vill haf Order Here" seems to be the undercurrent of every act and conversation. If your kids have their beds torn apart four or five times until they achieve "military mitered corners, bounce a quarter off the blankets" - you're OCD.

You're organized. It's a trait that is probably native to your personality type and you probably wonder how others can survive without it - it isn't a bad thing until it becomes the goal rather than a tool to achive better goals. Go in peace. The mess has ended.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote