Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
we just bought a Bodum electric hot water pot. Gemma got it in orange to match the interior of our groovy 1974 Tradewind's interior.
I have a similar Ibis Bodum hot water pot that I use at home with a stainless Bodum coffee press. Mine is lime green, larger and oval. I love your Bistro It is smaller. I had a Hazard Orange CCD that it would have looked great in.

[IMG]file:///Users/gaylefahrion/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Most of my traveling has been done on motorcycle without any kitchen appliances along and none missed. I'll take a coffee pot that I can use on a gas stove if I have room. If I don't have room, I'll get by fine just like I have in the past.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
I have a portable ice maker at home, but Mr says we can't take it. I think it would be a great addition. Any thoughts?
We have two different AS friends who have portable ice makers that they bring along...we have learned to park next to one of them....or in between them...even better. Makes happy hour ever-so much better.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
When we have electricity or feel like cranking up the genny for breakfast (or more often for us, brunch) we have a waffle iron...waffles are great things on a camping trip...we make a batch and then freeze the ones we don't eat...easy to reheat in a toaster... mmmm.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have two different AS friends who have portable ice makers that they bring along...we have learned to park next to one of them....or in between them...even better. Makes happy hour ever-so much better.
Love it, maybe I can get Mr RustyRivet to go for that!!!!!!! As happy hour is a very important part of camping. Don't you agree???????
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
A quick tally...

#1 Coffee maker (half say French Press)
Does anyone use a stainless steel, stove top, espresso maker? It would be small and doesn’t plug in.

#2 Pressure cooker (small one, or bring two)
Quick, less gas.

#3 Electric toaster
Considering the strong, no electricity sentiment, this must be very important.

#4 Pan set (small group, stackable)

#5 Wine glass (plastic or SS)

Everything else was mentioned 2 (or less) times.

I own 4 waffle irons, and I would like to bring one, but it also requires two bowls (one glass or SS) and a whisk.
aname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #47
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aname4me
A quick tally...

#1 Coffee maker (half say French Press)
Does anyone use a stainless steel, stove top, espresso maker? It would be small and doesn’t plug in.

#2 Pressure cooker (small one, or bring two)
Quick, less gas.

#3 Electric toaster
Considering the strong, no electricity sentiment, this must be very important.

#4 Pan set (small group, stackable)

Everything else was mentioned 2 (or less) times.

I own 4 waffle irons, and I would like to bring one, but it also requires two bowls (one glass or SS) and a whisk.
We have a stove top espresso maker and it is awesome. I actually think this espresso maker makes a better espresso then our $500 electric pump one.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #48
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
We have had a stove-top percolator since our tent-camping days, and saw no reason to change with the AS. The only thing we did was to add a small coffee grinder.

It takes a little longer, but you might be surprised how much fresher coffee is when it's freshly-ground.

Another hint (if you perc your coffee): add half an eggshell (shell only!) and a dash of salt. My Danish grandma taught me that a l-o-n-g time ago...

MmmmMmmMMMmmmmm....!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #49
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
We have had a stove-top percolator since our tent-camping days, and saw no reason to change with the AS. The only thing we did was to add a small coffee grinder.

It takes a little longer, but you might be surprised how much fresher coffee is when it's freshly-ground.

Another hint (if you perc your coffee): add half an eggshell (shell only!) and a dash of salt. My Danish grandma taught me that a l-o-n-g time ago...

MmmmMmmMMMmmmmm....!
Half an eggshell? What does that do?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #50
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammab View Post
Adds a richness to the flavour, I'd say. Grandma said it "took out the bitter".

YMMV, but we like it... I lightly rinse the eggshell though; she didn't.

NOTE: I forgot to say that it's broken up a bit, otherwise it could interfere with the water getting through.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #51
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

Adds a richness to the flavour, I'd say. Grandma said it "took out the bitter".

YMMV, but we like it... I lightly rinse the eggshell though; she didn't.

NOTE: I forgot to say that it's broken up a bit, otherwise it could interfere with the water getting through.
Wow can't wait to try! I LOVE these tricks especially when it comes from Grandma. Thanks so much!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Smile What kitchen appliance do you use (and would not leave home without)

When I am traveling solo -- not planning to Caravan or Rally -- I am not without the following:
  • White Mountain Hand-Crank 4-quart Ice Cream Freezer. Fresh home-made ice cream or fruit Sorbets/smoothie. It is a wonderful way to become acquainted with your camping neighbors.
  • Revere Ware Stove-Top Drip Coffee Maker. An excellent brew using the Airstream's standard cooktop. I am not a coffee drinker, but try to be sure to have the ingredients so that I can make coffee for my guests.
  • Four and Eight Quart Dutch Ovens and aluminum foild liners.

• Napoleon Stainless Steel Portable LP Gas Grill with Infra-Red attachment. I have had this grill for two seasons now, and have found it to be one of the best standard additions to my regular assortment of accessories.
  • Rival Cook and Carry Crock Pot. After years of battling insecure lids on crock pots, I finally ran across the Cook and Carry -- it is absolutely wonderful for the impromptu potlucks.
  • Cuisinart Elite 4-cup food processor. My busy schedule often keeps me from cooking as I would like during my work year, but I have the opportunity to cook during the summer when I am traveling in my Airstream.
  • Cuisinart Power Advantage Plus hand mixer. A small yet very powerful hand mixer that works well for my RV cooking needs.
  • Cuisinart Deluxe Stainless Steel electric can opener. After years of struggling with seemingly every variety of manual can opener, I finally splurged on a high quality electric can opener.
  • Cuisinart Compact Blending and Chopping System. This device is a luxury as the food processor will peform most of its functions, but I do like to have this device available for crushed ice and making home-made malted milks.
  • Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker. This is my most recent addition. I like to have home-made bread with every meal when I am on vacation, and this device makes having home-made bread unbelievably easy.
  • Cuisinart Grind Central coffee grinder. This device serves double-duty for me. It works beautifully as a coffee grinder, but can also be adjusted to grind fresh spices and herbs.
  • Ten-Piece Premium Grilling Untensil Kit. Prior to purchasing my Airstream, I never did any grilling; but today, I grill out at least lonce during a camping trip so I find this utensil kit to be a real treasure.
  • Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender. I often utilize this when making quick lunch stops where it isn't convenient to pull out any of my other mixing tools. It runs without objuect on my solar panel fed electric converter.
  • Classic Metal Two-Slice Toaster. I started carrying this device after I had the solar electric system installed on my Overlander. It greatly simplified the process of having wonderful toast with breakfast each day.
  • Clean Water two-gallon countertop water filtration system. While I generally trust campground water supplies, and keep my onboard tank well sanitized; I do like keeping a water filtration system for my drinking water and this device has performed well for me.
  • Over the years, I have purchased several sets of the original Revere Ware Copper-Clad cookware. I now carry a full set in both my Airstream and Argosy. They are so easy to keep clean, and I don't have the worries about the dangers of non-stick coatings that do not react well to the vagaries of travel.
  • For Caravanning and Rallying, I add a number of additional accessories for the added socializing that typically goes along with these activities.
    • 100-Cup Farberware Percolator. I have been co-host for a number of rallys, and a large percolator is often a near necessity.
    • Automatic Electric Donut Maker. This little device yields tons of fun for Rally participants particularly when combined with home-made French Vanilla ice cream. It is something of a chore to clean, but when rally participant faces are seen, the inconvenience is a small price to pay.
Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Quote: I own 4 waffle irons, and I would like to bring one, but it also requires two bowls (one glass or SS) and a whisk.

I have a waffle iron and you can put your mix in a ziplock bag, add liquid in camp, then squeeze and stir with a spoon, then pour right out of the bag. No clean up.

Quote: Half an eggshell? What does that do?

I learned this trick from an old miner who made me Cowboy Coffee where the eggshells and ground coffee go on top of a pot of cold water, bring almost to a boil, simmer 5-10 minutes. Take off heat and quickly pour in a half cup cold water. Grounds and shell will go right to the bottom, then pour a cup of great coffee. The eggshells clarify the coffee.

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #54
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have one now too ( ice maker), And we are very good sharers Jon & Deb
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Murray likes to travel with a full contingent of AllClad pots and pans and it is a constant battle convincing him not to pack the #12 cast iron skillet.

I'm on Murray's side! I can't be without my good pots and cast iron skillet!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #56
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aname4me View Post
A quick tally...

There are several forum members who carry stemware made of actual glass. There really is no substitute, and as long as it is properly packed there is little risk of breakage. The key is to pack the glassware in individual padded boxes or cells so it doesn't collide with anything hard and isn't subject to pressure from shifting objects in the event of rough roads or emergency maneuvers. That's easier than it sounds. You can do it on the cheap with cardboard, as I have, or make a fancy velvet-covered wooden affair built into the cabinetry.

Even the best polycarbonate wine glasses have the wrong feel and scratch easily.

Quote:
Well, I carry a whisk, which doesn't weigh much or use much space. It's not like we're backpacking. For bowels I either repurpose the Corelle or use a saucepan.

Quote:
We have a stove top espresso maker and it is awesome. I actually think this espresso maker makes a better espresso then our $500 electric pump one.
They're fine if you like expresso. I have one which I rarely use. I prefer the aluminum ones to the stainless steel.

Quote:
The egg shell is part of the traditional northern European way of making boiled coffee. It causes flocculation and settling of the fine particles of coffee which would otherwise lead to a cloudy brew. A little bit of egg white is what's really needed but when the breakfast includes eggs it's convenient to just toss in an egg shell because there's about the right amount of residual egg white. It doesn't take much.

Despite that being a part of my family tradition I use a drip funnel and a paper filter, mainly because of the easier cleanup. With boiled coffee you end up with wet grounds that are neither suitable for the garbage or the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
When I am traveling solo -- not planning to Caravan or Rally -- I am not without the following:

<jackpot>

Kevin
Kevin you must have one of those Dr. Who "Tardis" Airstreams that's bigger on the inside than it is out the outside. Either that or you have a twin and have removed one bed to make room for more cabinets.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
For bowels I either repurpose the Corelle or use a saucepan.
I'm sure you meant to say "bowls", Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The egg shell is part of the traditional northern European way of making boiled coffee. It causes flocculation and settling of the fine particles of coffee which would otherwise lead to a cloudy brew. A little bit of egg white is what's really needed but when the breakfast includes eggs it's convenient to just toss in an egg shell because there's about the right amount of residual egg white. It doesn't take much.

Despite that being a part of my family tradition I use a drip funnel and a paper filter, mainly because of the easier cleanup. With boiled coffee you end up with wet grounds that are neither suitable for the garbage or the drain.
Thanks for enlightening me on Grandma Johansen's trick. She always said that it was common in Denmark, and couldn't understand why it wasn't more popular in Canada.

As for disposing of the grinds, they go in the recycling here at home and at the camp where Henri the Sov usually lives. To my knowledge, they can be composted.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kevin, I just read your list of kitchen "musts" for Airstream travel. Uncle! I give up! As soon as the weather warms, I'm going to empty our AS and Argosy of ALL kitchen stuff and follow your trail, camp next to you, and enjoy gourmet dining...please, please! (In all seriousness, Kevin, you have an incredible collection of cooking equipment--enviable!) ~Georgia
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Florence , South Carolina
The one electric appliance I wouldn't be without is my NESCO&#174; American Harvest - Buy Online! roaster oven. You can slow cook in it like a crock pot or crank it up and bake in it like an oven. I also have bought a good set of silicone bake ware that I'm happy with. (Saves weight and space for my Dutch Ovens)
RollingCondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCondo View Post
The one electric appliance I wouldn't be without is my NESCO® American Harvest - Buy Online! roaster oven. You can slow cook in it like a crock pot or crank it up and bake in it like an oven. I also have bought a good set of silicone bake ware that I'm happy with. (Saves weight and space for my Dutch Ovens)
This pot looks interesting... Sort of a slow cooker with more settings.
What size did you select? 6qt?
It has a "bake"setting... do you think it would bake bread?
aname4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffeemaker, kitchen, ricecooker, appliances