Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
When I am traveling solo -- not planning to Caravan or Rally -- I am not without the following:>snip< Kevin
My goodness, Kevin...where do you put the people?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What kitchen appliance do you use (and would not leave home without)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
My goodness, Kevin...where do you put the people?
That is one of the things tht I love about my '64 Overlander - - it has more storage than any coach that I have owned. Most of my appliances are stored in the lower half of the kitchen pantry or in the large cabinet under the kitchen sink. I also have a large upholstered box that provides additional storage space (the box once housed a tank-type vacuum of the mid-1940s. The drop leaf dining table that came with the coach in 1964 provides ample dining area for 4 persons - - for more than 4, we usually eat under the awning.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ok soon-to-be-rookie . . . the real reason a bunch of us like having a 1T pickup is that we never leave anything at home that might be useful. The truck bed is charged with tools, supplies, and bulky/unwieldy things I'd rather not keep in the trailer (dirty clothes & shoes for example). BBQ and campfire cooking stuff. One learns what will be used, over time. Otherwise, in the trailer: heavy=low, light = high.

A little more seriously: for the weekend/5-day traveler it depends on the trip.

For the full-timer it depends on the people. I would no more forego my wife's baking abilities if/when the mood hits than . . . well, suffice it to say that an old back injury does not prevent me from loading cast iron in several crates.

Long term camping (months) means I'm more likely to read recipes, do the shopping, and am willing to purchase a new gadget for the kitchen. I spend time learning how to pack the trailer kitchen, and have changed containers (type) more than once. Prep is great before a trip, but on long trips it is the time at full-service campgrounds as well. There are those for whom a portable freezer is mandatory for this reason.

A summer in Texas will make an ice-maker mandatory. Living where we do the summers won't find cool weather except nearly 1,000-miles north & a bit west. So the midday can be spent hiding indoors in the A/C. Mornings and very late evenings are it for being outdoors in comfort (when without other plans).

I, too, like Revere Ware a great deal.

I'm willing to try cooking indoors and out -- sometimes on the same meal -- as my time is not constrained as a homeowner shackled to maintenance. My wife is the primary cook, so I want things to be to her satisfaction. Yet "camping" means we both spend more time thinking on it and doing it (as feasible). We obviously have to shop more often.

As a twist to your thread I have learned that I would rather do meal prep outdoors (if at all possible) to keep the messes out of the trailer. So, table covers, ground covers, etc, are part of "cooking".

A satisfying day of camping is generally some maintenance on one thing or another and plenty of time to prep for meals. Adventures, sight-seeing are planned in advance. But they're not always the best part of the trip.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What kitchen appliance do you use (and would not leave home without)

Greetings Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Kevin, I just read your list of kitchen "musts" for Airstream travel. Uncle! I give up! As soon as the weather warms, I'm going to empty our AS and Argosy of ALL kitchen stuff and follow your trail, camp next to you, and enjoy gourmet dining...please, please! (In all seriousness, Kevin, you have an incredible collection of cooking equipment--enviable!) ~Georgia
You and Max would be more than welcome to follow my trail this summer. In fact, unless there is an unforeseen health setback, I will be leading a Vintage Airstream Caravan from Kieler, Wisconsin to the Wally Byam Caravan Club International Rally in DuQuoin, Illinois.

I will be carrying the mentioned cooking implements plus more that will be added as plans are finalized. Friends who have previewed my proposal have nicknamed the caravan "Grazing Across the Prairie State" as I have identified special regional dishes that are popular near where we will be camping.

Kevin

P.S.: Some of the regional dishes that are mentioned in my proposal include Cornish Pasty, MaidRite Sandwich Shops, Horse-Shoe-Sandwiches, Hickory Smoked BBQ pork shoulder with horse raddish sauce, and I am anticipating that more regional recommendations will be forthcoming as I have posed the question to campground hosts at each stop asking about "regional foods" that visitors should try while visiting the area.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Must Have Appliances

There are only 3 electrical appliances I would not want to be without:

1) 4 qt Nesco Roaster Oven - The Nesco slow cooks, roasts, bakes and steams. I use it as a second oven either inside or outside on a table top, as a slowcooker ( lighter weight than a traditional slowcooker) and as a cooker/server at get togethers. Multifunctional, lightweight and break resistant since the cooker and inner cookwell is metal.This size can be obtained on Ebay, thrift stores or yard sales. Currently the smallest size Nesco offers is the 5 qt. I have purchased the 6 qt as gifts for family members and done a full review for this size on Amazon for those wishing further info.

2) Bamix Immersion Blender - Don't let the name fool you. This has an extremely powerful motor which allows it to perform as an immersion blender, hand mixer, grinder,etc. The unit and its attachments take up very little space. Further info can be had at www.bamix.com by anyone interested.

3) Toaster

All three can be operated on my solar setup when boondocking. The only other electrical kitchen appliances I carry and use when I have FHUs are a dual burner hotplate and blender.

Happy Trails,
'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Oops

The US website for Bamix is:

www.bamix-usa.com

Sorry for the mixup.

'shaker
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
This is a great thread, and like the forum in general, has lots of good info. Lots of great ideas for me since we are just getting started in trailer camping, quite a bit different from wilderness canoe camping that we're used to. So far I've just been staring out the window at snow piling on the Airstream and wishing for spring.

I saw pressure cookers being used in France and have been wanting to try one myself. Any suggestions on brand?
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by epperp View Post
This is a great thread, and like the forum in general, has lots of good info. Lots of great ideas for me since we are just getting started in trailer camping, quite a bit different from wilderness canoe camping that we're used to. So far I've just been staring out the window at snow piling on the Airstream and wishing for spring.

I saw pressure cookers being used in France and have been wanting to try one myself. Any suggestions on brand?
I have a Presto 6-Quart Stainless Steel model that I bought locally at a WalMart. It's the same diameter as the 4-Quart ones, just a little taller. The extra size adds quite a bit of versatility, some recipes mention that they are only for the 6-Quart models, see post 6 in the One pot wonders - what's for dinner? thread (another good one that's related to this one). The turkey breast recipe is only for use in a 6-Quart.

I have gotten all the accessories from Presto, too. Mine came with the colander lid, and I bought the cookbook, the steamer, and the glass lid too. I have used them all, the cookbook especially.

Another useful link is Presto®: Pressure Cooking Recipes. They will work no matter what kind of pressure cooker you have.

I will be cooking a pot roast in mine this evening for supper and several days of sandwiches/leftovers.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Baking Bread In A Nesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by aname4me View Post
This pot looks interesting... Sort of a slow cooker with more settings.
What size did you select? 6qt?
It has a "bake"setting... do you think it would bake bread?

aname4me,

I did not answer this question right away because I did not feel like I had used my Nesco Roast-Air 6 qt enough to give an accurate evaluation.

I use the Nesco 4 qt in the AS. As I stated it is the right size for the two of us. It will not brown as much as a regular oven though.

This is where the Nesco 6 qt Roast Air really does the job of a regular oven. It has a detachable fan/motor that circulates the air and enable it to bake as well as a standard oven. I was unaware that Nesco made one until I saw them on ebay. Currently Nesco only makes the 12 qt in the Roast Air model.

I bought it to use on the road while working (we are long haul drivers). I felt that the 50% criteria when slow cooking would not be a problem due to the "slosh factor" in a moving vehicle. I have slowcooked,baked,roasted, and broiled in my Nesco 6qt. Roast-Air. It does all of these functions exceptionally well.

To answer your question:

- the current models that neso offers will not bake breads like a conventional oven. (the 12 qt. Roast-Air being the exception)

- the Nesco 6 qt. Roast-Air (currently available on ebay, resale shops, yard sales and the like) will bake breads or anything else a conventional oven will.

I wish I had found this much,much sooner. It roasts chicken,pork, roasts,etc beautifully. I usually get an extra large roast so that I will have leftover on the meat. The next day I add the leftover meet to along with one of the Frontier Homemade in Minutes Soup mixes for our meals the next day to the Nesco on the slowcooker setting. These soups are great since they have all of the spices,etc I need to make them with. I only add the meat. Space is a really big issue in a truck. I Have just purchased the Mc Cormick Meal inspirations to try.These contain just enough spices for the meal being made.

Yes, I have baked bread ( in a loaf pan), brownies,etc in the Nesco when we are sitting still for an extended time and the results are identical to an oven.

The Nesco is a great multipurpose appliance. The Nesco nonstick finish makes clean up easy. I wish I had one years ago.

'shaker
Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
We are still new to camping and most of our adventures are at full hook up sites so far. However, the supplies I try to keep on hand or purchase can be used for either purpose with the exception of a few pieces. It helps that we are set up with 2 solar panels.

We keep a full set of full size good quality stainless pans that can be used on stove, in the oven or outdoors. We have cast iron at home but I havent moved any of it out yet.
A toaster, its convenient for the kids.

Our 79 came with a microwave, also great for the kids.

We generally cook ALL our meat on the small webber charcoal grill that we take everywhere. When we have stopped it sits under the camper, and since we have an awning, we can cook easily outdoors in the rain (as long as the wind isnt blowing smoke into the camper).

I didn't grow up with a pressure cooker, so I am still learning to use one well at home (drywall is cheaper to replace than the roof to the Airstream if I blow the top off...lol).

We don't drink coffee, but boiling water in a pot does great for hot chocolate.

We generally use the fridge for food, and take a cooler to keep drinks in.

I have considered a crock pot being added to the mix after our 2 week adventure last year. Will use the crock pot liners to save a little water on cleanup, they usually help with the really sticky stuff.

Locations? We are still trying to figure all of that out. I keep moving stuff around.

Hot pads, I got silicone for the camper (aside from the one oven mit) so they are trivets and hot pads and wipe off easily if they get dirty.

I love my paper towel holder. Got it from Meijer and it doesn't unroll going down the road. Pfaltzgraff | Kamenstein Chrome Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder Similar to this one. We put it on the wall next to the fridge where there were already some holes.

I already have a handmixer with a base that holds the different beaters and cord. Prolly won't use it much, but its not terribly heavy, and there if we do need it.

Considering adding a fold out table for using outdoors when there isnt a picnic table near. Mainstays 6' Center-Fold Table - Walmart.com To be stored behind gaucho.

Walmart.com: Wheat 8 Shelf Accessory Bag: Storage & Organization I use a sweater organizer like this one to keep towels, wash rags, and dishrags in, as well as a few other small items.

Laundry, at home I like Tide, but for light traveling on the road I use the Purex 3-in-1 sheets and a mesh drawstring bag that we keep in our shower (we have an 11 month old and a 2 year old, we are always doing laundry).

Will also add a small fan to help with air movement, maybe two.

Thanks to all for the great ideas included on this thread....lots to think about.
Crystal
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #71

Colorado Springs , Colorado
I use an electric pressure cooker at home. I think I may like one to use in the RV. I tend to like the stainless for easy cleanup. Does anyone prefer the aluminum Presto pressure cooker?
RvCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I have 5 presto old fashioned from the 50's through the 70's and we love them. But 4 of them are large and we only use them for canning (alot)!!...lol
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
I take a electric tea kettle. No sense heating up the water heater for a few dishes. And why use your propane. I get great use out of my slow cooker, electric frypan and a one cup coffee maker, and george foreman. I use the electric appliances outside of my trailer if I am cooking. I do not have a oven in my trailer, so I have a toaster, broiler oven that take a large cassarole, installed over my cooktop. My husband hung a bracket for it, we took the range hood out as it leaked. My microwave is in the area where a wall oven used to be.

I store the crockpot under the ledge in the curved front and the rest fit under the sink.

Hope this helps. No need for a pressure cooker unless it is electric with the price of propane, less is more.
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #74
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Microwave, slowcooker, toaster, griddle, electric skillet, tea kettle. (just remember to plug in only 1 or 2 at a time :-)Removed our 40+ year old gas oven this weekend and left it by the street for the trash truck.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Adds a richness to the flavour, I'd say. Grandma said it "took out the bitter".

YMMV, but we like it... I lightly rinse the eggshell though; she didn't.

NOTE: I forgot to say that it's broken up a bit, otherwise it could interfere with the water getting through.
Try adding a dash of ground cinnamon to your grounds. We grind our own beans and it tastes great. It removes any bitterness, adds a slight flavor.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #76
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The most important stuff....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toastmaster 1B3 1932.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	154005  
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #77
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Ipod

My daughter asked me how I like my new Ipod?

So papa, how do you like the iPad we got you? - Snotr
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffeemaker, kitchen, ricecooker, appliances