Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
We have been Streaming with our kids since they where very small. On the road P&J sandwich and chips always worked great. They are now 15 and 17 and they still eat them all the time. I like ham and cheese on a fresh bun. We always carry a electric fry pan. You can cook anything in it very quick and easy at camp. We camped last weekend and we made grill cheese in our mtn. pie maker. They where a big hit. For breakfast we like pancakes and bacon. Also corned beef hash is great too. My boy likes Spam an girl like ramen noddle or Lipton soup for a quick lunch. We rarely eat out on the road and when we do it's a Mom&Pop place. I hate big chain places. The food is crap. Try going to a rally like The Bash III. There is so much food at the potluck dinners and the breakfasts. You won't have to cook a meal.

Ace in PA

Click image for larger version

Name:	kids camping.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	159045 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0134.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	159049

Name:	DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	159047

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	159048

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	159050Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	159051

aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I am already drooling at your scrumptious meals!

We have a 2005 16' Bambi (the little guy) which has two burners, no microwave or conventional oven, and a small fridge. It also has limited storage space, expanded slightly by the back of our truck. Elaborate meals are not an option.

As many of you have mentioned, we also make food in advance, notably prepared salads with some keeping capabilities. One of my new favourites is marinated fennel with shrimp. Potato salad was probably invented for longer storage. Some really decent cheese and cold meats are nice for hassle-free suppers.

Wraps work well for lunch. They don't get stale, crumble, or crush. Some spreadable cheese (or some sort of dip), some sliced cold meats or smoked salmon, and some bagged alfalfa or broccoli sprouts are nice.

Breakfast is usually pre-boiled eggs with home-baked biscuits or muffins, or cold cereal. Hopefully fresh fruit. I do travel with a container of pre-packaged egg whites for omelets. (I just don't want to risk finding raw eggs on the floor, after too many bumpy roads.)

We do cook with a Dutch oven, mostly on layabout days. Chili, stew, meatballs in gravy, or chicken in BBQ sauce appear most frequently. I have made bread (bannock) in mine, but it is pretty fussy about heat requirements. If we have a fair bit of leftover heat, I may pre-cook something for the next day.

Len is the grillmeister, and he usually uses a simple hinged grill, preferably over campfire embers, but over charcoal if required. We like to grill bratwurst, because it can also be cooked indoors in some sauerkraut (ideally, with apples and onions) for a one-pot meal if need be, without much fuss.

I keep dried and canned things on hand in the cupboard: small-size pasta, for example, cooks quickly and can be tossed with dried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, &c.

Our fridge is so small I've started baking square cookies to fit into square containers as a space-saver!

Oh, and did I mention champaign? Maybe you've seen the photo on p. 43 of Airstream: The History of the Land Yacht. This elegant-looking woman is lighting candles in silver candle sticks, while champaign cools in an ice bucket in the background. She sold me on starting the first night's dinner of each Bambi journey with a champaign toast!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We camp in the U.P. Michigan where pasties rule. We have our favorite sources and stock up when we get there. The pasty is an ideal camp food. They keep well and are easy to prepare and come in a variety of fillings. We buy prepared salads that only need the dressing to be added. Add to that a local brew and you have a fine dinner.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o
We camp in the U.P. Michigan where pasties rule. We have our favorite sources and stock up when we get there. The pasty is an ideal camp food. They keep well and are easy to prepare and come in a variety of fillings. We buy prepared salads that only need the dressing to be added. Add to that a local brew and you have a fine dinner.
Pasties, a dish once tasted, is never forgotten...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Kosm1o,
Any suggestions for inexpensive camping around the Mackinaw area? We have a friend near Wilderness park but have not boondocked yet.
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
The only campground that I have personally camp at near Macinaw is Straits State park across the bridge in the u.p. it's a very nice campground with many sites having views of the bridge. Fairly inexpensive as are most of our state campgrounds. Have you checked the Wilderness state campground? Once you are in the u.p. there are many places. There is a thread in boondocking forum about such places that are worth checking.
To keep this thread about food, you will find numerous pasty shops once you cross the bridge. Sooner or later I will try them all!
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I have seen several shops the few times we have been there, but we were not sure what they were, I figured something like a doughnut, but have since learned. There IS a fun little place on the S side of the Mackinaw bridge that is a 50's diner. Lots of fun music, was never very crowded when we were there, good food & service. Parking is a little difficult, was a very small lot or street side.
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Red face Favorite dish

Last trip we did a mighty fine dessert of vanilla ice cream raspberries and Grand Marnier.
I mean doesn't everyone travel with a bit of Moon- yay as my husband calls it?
Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Camping, my favorite has to be chicken breast stuffed with Italian sausage, grilled on my Cobb Grill. But I try to make sure I never have the same meat for two consecutive dinners during a trip, so in addition to chicken I'll bring beef, pork, mutton, fish, rabbit, etc. Not being much of a hunter anymore, I haven't managed to bring along any venison yet, though. The one time I brought some alligator for the grill, I overcooked it and believe me, that took a lot of chewing!

On the road, whatever fast food or family restaurant happens to be closest when lunchtime rolls around. On my last trip, I ate at a Cracker Barrell for the first time, in Brookhaven, MS. The burger was greasy, but still tasty. Still trying to figure out how come the bun was greasy as well as the meat, though…
Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Be serious...favorite?

Bob
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA and GPO View Post
Last trip we did a mighty fine dessert of vanilla ice cream raspberries and Grand Marnier.
I mean doesn't everyone travel with a bit of Moon- yay as my husband calls it?
Annie
We have just discovered Grand Marnier, and made a macerated berries dessert with it, strawberries/blueberries, fresh mint and a dab of balsamic vinegar. Let stand about 30 minutes.

Yummy with real whipped cream or over vanilla ice cream. So easy to put together when you need to bring a dessert and don't have an oven or a lot of refrigerator space. Any berries will do, and the mint is a nice addition but not required.

Our favorite meal on the road has become salmon grilled with blackened seasoning in our panini pie iron.....6 coals on top, 6 on the bottom, 20 minutes. Serve over hot polenta with corn and a bit of hot pepper. Delish!

Maggie
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Yummy stuff Maggie! You are ready for the throw down challenge!
I have a panini press at home but have never heard of a panini pie iron?
What else can you do with it?
annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote